Breeding Autos

DankDoctor420

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Cheese Quake
I have a couple questions about breeding autos. My first set of questions is... When taking an a auto and photo and breeding them together how does this process go? Like do you use a male auto to pollinate a female photo and then work the line? Or do you use a fem auto and reverse it and use that pollen on a female photo and then work the line? Or do you use a male photo and pollinate a female auto? Or do you use a female photo and reverse it and use that pollen on a female auto?

What are 1 offs? I've heard the term cuz Mephisto does some 1 offs. Can't find any info on the term.

What is the best way to breed autos and photos together? There's not a lot of information on the subject that I have come across online. The very first part of it confuses me. I get once you cross an auto and photo there is generations of work to be done to stabilize the auto gene. But the first step is confusing. Can you use any of the 4 methods I mentioned above or does one of the methods work better than the others? Thanks

What is the best way to breed autos and photos together? There's not a lot of information on the subject that I have come across online. The very first part of it confuses me. I get once you cross an auto and photo there is generations of work to be done to stabilize the auto gene. But the first step is confusing. Can you use any of the 4 methods I mentioned above or does one of the methods work better than the others? Thanks
So I've never bred plants, but I have bred animals. The auto gene is recessive iirc and as such, any of the above would work. The only way to get fem seeds would be to reverse and use that pollen either on another female or itself. Which you do depends entirely on where you're at in your breeding. Its all about what traits you're looking to bring from the parents into the offspring. I do think reversing is more common in that it saves a lot of space, but I have seen several people who grow males as well. It all depends on personal preference and your goals/plan for line/strain.

But in simple terms, breeding an auto to a photo will give you offspring that carry one copy of the auto gene. Then siblings can be bred back to each other and you should get some autos out of it which you can then breed down the line.

A one off would be a one time breeding.

What are 1 offs? I've heard the term cuz Mephisto does some 1 offs. Can't find any info on the term.
Not really a standard term. I'm guessing what you mean by that is their "Limited" releases, which are auto x auto crosses between their other lines. They are "1 offs" in that unless they get incredibly popular, they are usually only a one-time release. As you suspect, photoperiod x auto crosses need a couple generations of breeding work to get back to consistently autoflowering.

This is my advice on the matter..take it with a grain of salt.

I've bred auto's from scratch,
but I only use regular M/F seed...
If I choose to make fems, I could always do that in the future after the autoflower/day neutral trait is stable.

In my opinion your best starting point would be to use a photoperiod female and an autoflower male as your pollen donor.

If your goal is to breed towards a new autoflowering representation of the photoperiod strain, It only makes sense to use a photoperiod female as she will allow you to see what she brings to the table and what you might expect in future generations phenotypically.

Males are less obvious in this regard.

Using a photoperiod male will also work, but will leave more mystery and unknown variables and could require more work going forward as they don't express the traits we are looking for as obviously as they're female counterparts.

I'm not gonna touch on line breeding to full auto, as that info is easily found on the net.

I will say tons of documentation, notes, pictures and video will help you significantly.

My final piece of advice that was given to me years ago and I consider valuable is...
Make a shit ton of f2's..trust me on this you'll need them.

I hope this helps you in someway and
I hope you create something new and exciting that you can take pride in,
I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.

When breeding photos to autos is it better to breed a auto to photo or photo to auto when pollinating?

Thanks. I'm just getting started into breeding. Currently I'm just a pollen chucker until I get further down into my projects. I'm just doing it for fun and learning experience as of now. No plans on selling. Just wanna create dank for myself but I plan to breed autos into photos cuz I love autos. Just learning. So far I only made some fem auto crosses using cs on a fem Sweet Amnesia Haze xl auto from sweet seeds crossed with 2 fast buds autos (white widow and og Kush) autos which are at F1. I plan to play with these seeds I created with blueberry male from dj short to try and create something different and new and bomb. I'm not even worried about yield. I'll take the smallest yielder if she gives the best effects but I plan to work my lines til I'm happy and they're stable.

Back