Grow Mediums Considering Autopots. Would they be the choice for me?

CannaDaTaBiz

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hio,

I have a tent that is 80 x 150cm(about 2.3 x 4.5 feet) with 600w HPS and am trying to maximise its potential. These autopots seem like they could be the choice for max g/w without having to use air or water pumps that make noise. My inline fan already makes bit too much noise and i dont want any more, therefore i dont want DWC, as i live in apartment. Im also a bit scared of leaks with them..

I am also a bit scared of leaks in autopots. Especially the cheap flexi tank doesent look too reliable based on videos and photos. So i guess making some diy tank(s) would be the most reliable way?

I was thinking of making smaller 5L buckets as containers, one for each plant to minimise damage in case of leaks. Also this would allow me to feed them individually and in general give more control over the plants individually.

____

I was thinking of using biotabs for nutes and run only straight tap water from the tanks, except maybe if i need to add some feed. I was thinking of minimising nute use from tank because they would clog the system more easily, especially if i were to use organic nutes, which i prefer. I like the idea of the plant living in a medium that it eats from and that the medium is not some artificial chemical soup, but resembles more of the natural state of the plant. Also it seems like it could be easier to have nute problems just relying on articifial nutes, than trying to make the soil good with nutrients, myco, bacteria etc and supplement if needed.

Even tho stuff like biogrow from biobizz would not really be suitable for feeding from the tank, but would it be ok to use this with autopots, by either puring it in quite strong form the top of soil or add a bit straight up to the area of autopot where the pot stands and which fills with water?
Or would it clog up the valve system?
Or would it be better to just use some chemical nutes as supplement if needed fed through the tank?

_____

I was also thinking of putting air domes in the autopots, either the ones autopot makes or make my own with 3d-printer.
The airdome seems to be designed in a way that it leaks air below. Wouldnt most of the air then just leak in the reservoir of the autopot and not through the soil properly, or am i not getting how the thing works or is supposed to be installed?

I was thinking was thinking of running the air domes on a timer, like having them 2 mins on every 30 mins or something like that. Im not really seeing how running them all the time would be optimal in any way, not only would it create cavities for the air to escape and not aerate the whole soil properly after a while anymore and roots getting on these cavities with air flow all the time would die after a while.

Or am i completely off with this and i should run them 24/7 to get much of benefit from it? I dont want to run them all the time due to said noise issues with air pumps.

____

Now to the amount of pots. As i mentioned im thinking of the smart pot version and they only make it in XL. So XL pots it would be, but the smart pot type ofc.

I know people say that plants grow into monsters in these things, especially the XL pots. But when people say this with autoflowers, do they mean monsters as in monster cannabis plants or monsters for an autoflower grown indoors compared to soil in same set up?

Im sure an experienced grower could pull 600+ grams from one xl autopot in my tent from a photo with decent veg and the tent wouldnt be able to hold much more plants in it than just that one. But i guess that would not be the case with autos, unless you had some magic genetics and could bend the reality with your will.

I was thinking having 2 of these at each end of the tend, 2 larger soil pots(56L) in the middle and then put small pots between soil pots and smart pots just to fill up some space. I was also thinking of doing perpetual harvests, so that i wouldnt have them going all at once, but at different stages of life to maximise the space over time. Also the smaller pots wouldnt matter if it ended up them not having enough light, they would be there mostly just to maximise space used.

Or would those 4 XL autopots(with 2x 56L dirt pots in the middle) be a total overkill no matter how small genetics i might put in them and no matter how much i tried to maximise space use by planting them at different times? And also putting a few 56L pots in there with no autopots. Would that also create so big monsters, that autopots wouldnt do much of good beyinf that, other than be even a bigger overkill? Therefore, would it be better to just stick with regular pots?

Im thinking of possibly dividing the root space of the 56L pots to 2-4, since thats shit tons of root space that im sure most autos could never fill properly and thus most would be wasted. If i were to put 25L pots there for example, i couldnt fit more than that 2 anyways, so these super large 56L pots seem like maximum benefit for root space to size used from tent floor.

If that would be a way overkill potting setup. Would just having 4x of these XL autopots along with small pots in between also still be way overkill? And maybe it would be best to just get 2x autopots, along with the 2x 56L regular pots in the middle(each likely divided to 2-4 different root spaces) and put small pots as a filling in between?

And most importantly! It is possible to make these systems completely leak safe with ziplocks, gluing the tubing etc, right? Or do you need to open the tubing all the time for clean up, even if you are using some cleaning solution?

Thanks for any comments on these issues(or other stuff that i might not have thought of about them), i know this is a lot of questions and a big wall of text, but its a big investment and it might not be worth it even in the end and trying new stuff like this is always a risk to fuck everything up, which is the main reason im bit too vary on moving only to autopots.

-Cheers

Your tent will hold 2 autopots brother.. if you want to use the fabric pot style then just don't fill the pots rite up.. with the fabrics u can prob roll the top down a bit as well so half filling ain't so bad.. autopots can grow biiiiiig plants.. air domes tend to make them bigger.. I e used autopots but not with air domes.. I know your paranoid about leaks but honestly I never had a single one nor have I seen anyone else with leaks so that really shouldn't be an issue.. if you want to keep the plants small then obvious thing of course is to pick a strain that's known to be short and bushy.. then spread them out a bit as they grow for more width than height.. hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Oh yea.. and for a tank I used a 30L kitchen bin lol drilled a hole in it stuck the grommet in tube in filter on the inside feed in and hey ho away we go.. autopots are amazing.. the best plants Ive grow have come from them.. I just don't have the space to run them anymore so I can't. Should I ever get the chance to run them again i would gladly give up hand watering forever more.

Last edited:
Your tent will hold 2 autopots brother.. if you want to use the fabric pot style then just don't fill the pots rite up.. with the fabrics u can prob roll the top down a bit as well so half filling ain't so bad.. autopots can grow biiiiiig plants.. air domes tend to make them bigger.. I e used autopots but not with air domes.. I know your paranoid about leaks but honestly I never had a single one nor have I seen anyone else with leaks so that really shouldn't be an issue.. if you want to keep the plants small then obvious thing of course is to pick a strain that's known to be short and bushy.. then spread them out a bit as they grow for more width than height.. hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Oh yea.. and for a tank I used a 30L kitchen bin lol drilled a hole in it stuck the grommet in tube in filter on the inside feed in and hey ho away we go.. autopots are amazing.. the best plants Ive grow have come from them.. I just don't have the space to run them anymore so I can't. Should I ever get the chance to run them again i would gladly give up hand watering forever more.

Okay thanks for the reply. I think ill settle for 2 auto pots and have some soil pots there also, which i can always get rid of if it gets too crowded.

Originally i was thinking something like this:

Untitled_Artwork.jpg

But mayb this sort of setup with just 1 autopot each side would be ok? I mean plants getting too wide because there is too much bud is less of a problem than not enough buds :D I could always get rid of some stuff if it gets too crowded.

But this sort of setup i originally thought about would not be able to be handled in any manner, even if i tried to LST the autopot plants towards middle, covering all those small pots and also bigger soil pots if needed. Also along with heavy defoliation and trimming of smaller buds/branches a lot from autopot plants. You think this sort of setup would be no way in hell ever, no matter how i tried to control it, even if i happened to get some slightly smaller than average phenotypes at times and if those plants would be grown perpetually so that they would not be at their biggest at the same time, at least the ones next to each others?

I never really considered it but I suppose if a room was that crowded you could always take a branch off here and there especially if they are tertiary.

I never really considered it but I suppose if a room was that crowded you could always take a branch off here and there especially if they are tertiary.

Yep thats my thinking also. If i plant has grown into a big monster already, i dont think it would mind too much even if i took some a bit larger branch or a few off. Im not sure if doing this instead of growing optimal amount from the start, would make the buds not as dense etc and lose yield from that. because basically the plant has wasted all that energy to those branches i took off. But then again im not sure if autopot is able to give as optimal growth as aero for example, i.e. building at least almost maximum density to all buds regardless of how much everything else grows.

Wih regular soil doing something like this would certainly lower the yield as there would be more like just a bunch of hacked overbranching there.. As in soil the plant needs to compromise more between growing in one spot or another, while hydro is able to better provide for all, so that the plant has to compromise less and just grow all over closer to maximum speed.

Back