Defoliating!

_~JAB~_

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Im into week 3 now with my afghan auto and there are 2 HUGE fan leaves that are completely blocking light to all the lower nodes from growing. Is it ok to snip these dan leaves or should i just let it go? I tried LST but just cant get light on the lowers with these huge fan leaves.

Im into week 3 now with my afghan auto and there are 2 HUGE fan leaves that are completely blocking light to all the lower nodes from growing. Is it ok to snip these dan leaves or should i just let it go? I tried LST but just cant get light on the lowers with these huge fan leaves.
your better bending them out the way if possible and I only remove stuff if my plant is really healthy if shes growing slow for any reason I don't want to stress her out also if your only 3 weeks your girl is gonna stretch soon but its up to you bro and its nice to meet you bro I'm tom

If the plant is healthy and growing well I would definitely remove them. I have observed over many grows that careful removal of the fan leaves on healthy plants absolutely leads to better bud formation in the middle and lower parts of the plant.
Once budlets start to form I think getting lights on the bud sites is much more important than keeping all of the original fan leaves on the plant.

This subject is often hotly debated but I believe that careful defoliation of healthy plants will increase yields and reduce larf, it certainly did for me.

Good luck!

your better bending them out the way if possible and I only remove stuff if my plant is really healthy if shes growing slow for any reason I don't want to stress her out also if your only 3 weeks your girl is gonna stretch soon but its up to you bro and its nice to meet you bro I'm tom
Thanks Tom nice to meet you as well! I am very new 2nd grow so im going to take your advice. Lol i was able to lightly bend and tuck them under corners of new growth so should be good to go!

If the plant is healthy and growing well I would definitely remove them. I have observed over many grows that careful removal of the fan leaves on healthy plants absolutely leads to better bud formation in the middle and lower parts of the plant.
Once budlets start to form I think getting lights on the bud sites is much more important than keeping all of the original fan leaves on the plant.

This subject is often hotly debated but I believe that careful defoliation of healthy plants will increase yields and reduce larf, it certainly did for me.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response! I am going to cut them eventually but i was able to tuck them for now. Will chop them off when i cant do anything else with them. Lol

Do you have pictures?

Most growers aren't banging out 4ft tall, dense plants in veg to need to remove any leaves. It's hardly even needed because leaves don't "block" light, you as a human visibly perceive light blockage but that isn't how photons behave.

This is just your second grow, far more important things than removing leaves because of what you "see". You can LST for sure, that breaks apical dominance and helps to create an even canopy but you could also top to achieve the same results in a similar fashion.

Defoliation doesn't increase yield, it can improve air circulation, mitigate micro climates that may breed pest/pathogens/mold but it doesn't improve yield. If you were to defoliate, the best times would be around day 10/21 while also removing thin branches/growth that will not produce, usually resulting in the bottom third of the plant being pruned.

Bud sites do not photosynthesize in a significant way to believe that they are a higher priority than your can leaves, made to photosynthesize/retain water/hold nutrients.

Strong lighting that achieves maximum DLI(40) when measured correctly by the manufacturer or with a PAR meter(phones suck). Improves canopy penetration as less light intensity is lost over a certain distance. That improves yield.

Growing hydroponically will improve yield. Proper irrigation or fertigation is a great aid.

Maintaining a consistently clean environment that adheres to Vapor Pressure Deficit improves yield.

Properly using your nutrients, if that's what you do, improves yield.

Keeping stress low, not constantly touching your plants, being clean yourself - improves yield.

Bottom line, if all of the above are in line, there isn't a need to typically defoliate as you'll lose a good amount of biomass in the lower 1/3 of the plant with careful targeted pruning of BRANCHES and not simply every large fan leaf that offends you.

Last edited:
Do you have pictures?

Most growers aren't banging out 4ft tall, dense plants in veg to need to remove any leaves. It's hardly even needed because leaves don't "block" light, you as a human visibly perceive light blockage but that isn't how photons behave.

This is just your second grow, far more important things than removing leaves because of what you "see". You can LST for sure, that breaks apical dominance and helps to create an even canopy but you could also top to achieve the same results in a similar fashion.

Defoliation doesn't increase yield, it can improve air circulation, mitigate micro climates that may breed pest/pathogens/mold but it doesn't improve yield. If you were to defoliate, the best times would be around day 10/21 while also removing thin branches/growth that will not produce, usually resulting in the bottom third of the plant being pruned.

Bud sites do not photosynthesize in a significant way to believe that they are a higher priority than your can leaves, made to photosynthesize/retain water/hold nutrients.

Strong lighting that achieves maximum DLI(40) when measured correctly by the manufacturer or with a PAR meter(phones suck). Improves canopy penetration as less light intensity is lost over a certain distance. That improves yield.

Growing hydroponically will improve yield. Proper irrigation or fertigation is a great aid.

Maintaining a consistently clean environment that adheres to Vapor Pressure Deficit improves yield.

Properly using your nutrients, if that's what you do, improves yield.

Keeping stress low, not constantly touching your plants, being clean yourself - improves yield.

Bottom line, if all of the above are in line, there isn't a need to typically defoliate as you'll lose a good amount of biomass in the lower 1/3 of the plant with careful targeted pruning of BRANCHES and not simply every large fan leaf that offends you.
The one thing i can better for sure is the need to always tend to the plants. Lol but as for defoliating i just moved the big fan leaves to the side and tucked them. Little lst fixed my urges to want to defoliate. Haha thanks for the tips appreciate it!!!

I just talked about this in my new grower journal. I have one short and fat 24 day old and Im bending her stems down a bit because bud sites were pushing up against em. I’m planning on waiting for her to stretch instead of defol because she looks healthy and I’m super leery to cut anything yet. Great to read this discussion!
3B868A58-543D-4DCE-8EC2-9CF616F10A91.jpeg
356098D5-226F-4EF3-BC92-B20CE5EC2B08.jpeg

You can remove fans staying in shadows, otherwise bend and tuck fans and separate nodes so they don't overlap. I strive to achieve a circular pattern around the pot. Good luck.
Auto BlueBerry Domina.

Attachments

• Ready to open.jpg
    Ready to open.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • opened up.jpg
    opened up.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Wet trim.jpg
    Wet trim.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 32
I just talked about this in my new grower journal. I have one short and fat 24 day old and Im bending her stems down a bit because bud sites were pushing up against em. I’m planning on waiting for her to stretch instead of defol because she looks healthy and I’m super leery to cut anything yet. Great to read this discussion!View attachment 1474722View attachment 1474723
Looks good! Im just tucking away at this point to afraid to cut as well. Haha

Back