Filter question

growandshow

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I have my carbon filter and fan set up I have the filter and fan inside and the ducting running out its all sealed correctly but as the grow is getting on I'm getting a slight smell leak from the ducting and I think I know the issue why but I am unable to do much during this point of the grow.

The issue I believe is that the fan is pulling harder than it should be on the max setting and it isn't completely filtering the only way to change the speed is to take it apart and wire it to a slower setting I'm like 2 or 3 weeks away from finishing a grow so turning off the inline fan to change the speed this isn't a option right now

I was thinking about it and if I was to put a carbon pad at the end of the ducting where the air is coming out.

I thought about it and it kinda makes sense since it would be push air through it at the end of the ducting.

I am looking for a second opinion if this would work it would be technically filtering through the carbon filter and the carbon pad on the output of the ducting.

Last edited:
I have my carbon filter and fan set up I have the filter and fan inside and the ducting running out its all sealed correctly but as the grow is getting on I'm getting a slight smell leak from the ducting and I think I know the issue why but I am unable to do much during this point of the grow.

The issue I believe is that the fan is pulling harder than it should be on the max setting and it isn't completely filtering the only way to change the speed is to take it apart and wire it to a slower setting I'm like 2 or 3 weeks away from finishing a grow so turning off the inline fan to change the speed this isn't a option right now

I was thinking about it and if I was to put a carbon pad at the end of the ducting where the air is coming out.

I thought about it and it kinda makes sense since it would be push air through it at the end of the ducting.

I am looking for a second opinion if this would work it would be technically filtering through the carbon filter and the carbon pad on the output of the ducting.
Hello i use one off these cheap but very effetive £10 on amazon and they work on any fan/extracter
$_57.JPG

IMG_20240411_173353.jpg

Oh these look really decent I might grab one as they are really handy to have.

I would use one going forward but I will rewire the fan after the chop so will keep it as a spare if needed.

I know the manufacturer puts the highest speed as stated when I bought it and its so simple to rewire its just out of one slot and into another which is really simple the middle speed should do it rather than slower setting.

I mean on a plus note if anyone does have small leaks of smell I will say I ordered the activated carbon pads yesterday they last 2-3 months.

I mean its working really well the room now smell fresh and there aren't any leaks I can actually smell fresh air and general smells you would expect.

I would say you could use any pads I ordered round ones for ease of application they work really well it pushed my humidity from 41% to 51% but it isn't a problem I guess it would if the air is passing through slower.

If your fan is running too hard then you could try and wrap tape around the Ducting to crimp it so it slows down the speed, put a few wraps of tape around the Ducting and sqawsh it to near closed and tighten the tape, so basically change it from a 4" to 2" opening,
1 or 2 should do the trick

But as @Del boy says, them controlers are handy to have and only £9 on Amazon prime, probly best just getting one of those

If your fan is running too hard then you could try and wrap tape around the Ducting to crimp it so it slows down the speed, put a few wraps of tape around the Ducting and sqawsh it to near closed and tighten the tape, so basically change it from a 4" to 2" opening,
1 or 2 should do the trick

But as @Del boy says, them controlers are handy to have and only £9 on Amazon prime, probly best just getting one of those
I don't thlnk it's advisable to severely restrict fan flow (input and/or output). That would put the fan motor under constant high(er) air resistance and mechanical stress, likely outside its specifications. The motor could burn out; be a safety hazard?

Last edited:
Back