Grow Mediums First time Autopot how does this sound

roadblock

New User
Reaction score
Im a long time grower 30 yrs in just about all systems from NFT DWC Rockwool Coco and run to waste, first time with Autopots and my concern is salt buildup in the medium from continued bottom feeding, Ive got a dozen of the XL 5gallon fabric pots coming, what I plan on doing is modifying the pots by drilling a 13ml hole in the bottom side of the pot compartment and fit a tube with a tap and snap hose connector so that I can connect to a longer hose and run it to a drain, I will also run a tube with a tap to a top feeder, along this tube will be the 4ml valve feeder also with a tap in that line, the feed line will have a pump connected which will allow gravity feed to the smart valves but I can pump to the top feed when need by turning some taps on and off.

What this means is that I can turn the smart valve feed off by the tap, and then turn the top tap on to direct the feed to the top feeder and then open the drain hose up and now its a top feed system draining out the side of the autopots pot compartment.

Anyone think this wont work, I don't have a Autopot in my hand but it seems feasible in my head.

If you're gonna build a top feed and drainage system, why would you bother with the autopots at all? Just asking... :shrug:

As a way to flush them to stop salt build-up, I figure once every 2 maybe 3 weeks will keep them happy, its about getting the best of both worlds, I see salt build-up as being inevitable with a bottom feed wicking system, and it's going to cause a problem at some point.

No need to worry about salt build up with the Autopots. As long as you feed them properly. These gals are 106 days old and have been on the Autopot system for 80 days. (Photoperiods) Never neen flushed or top fed since turning the rez on. I find if I keep my maximum ec around 1.8-2.0 I never have issues.
20221207_172718.jpg
20221207_172708.jpg

Thats really interesting Cooterjuice the last run I did ( pics) with top feed 2.2 to 2.4 EC and just a little run of resulted in the EC spiking as high a 3.5 EC mid way through and needed flushing to bring back into range , I guess its also food relative as to what the plants consume and what they don't, I used Nutrifield Coco A-B for that run they yielded great giving 8lb for 4 plants, what is the flavour of your nutrient you use ?

Maybe I will just do a full run with the autopots and see how I go before I try to fix what might not be broke.

dracary1.jpg

dracary2.jpg

Thats really interesting Cooterjuice the last run I did ( pics) with top feed 2.2 to 2.4 EC and just a little run of resulted in the EC spiking as high a 3.5 EC mid way through and needed flushing to bring back into range , I guess its also food relative as to what the plants consume and what they don't, I used Nutrifield Coco A-B for that run they yielded great giving 8lb for 4 plants, what is the flavour of your nutrient you use ?

Maybe I will just do a full run with the autopots and see how I go before I try to fix what might not be broke.

View attachment 1545754
View attachment 1545755
Very nice man!! I use Canna Coco and Perlite, 50/50 mix. Nutrients I run Jacks for tap (City Limits Schedule), Raw Silica, Botanicare supplements, Ruby Fulvic and Tribus Original.

Back