Extraction My Haribo Gummy Clone Recipe - Ethanol extraction/FECO

Tools of The Trade Part 2.

Citric acid. Helps melt your gelatine and adds a bit of tartness. Can also be used, mixed with sugar, to coat your gummies later on:

Amazon product

Guar Gum. Emulsifier and helps bind it all together. You can use lecithin, but I think lecithin introduces an odd flavor:

Amazon product

Potassium Sorbate. The thing that makes them shelf stable:

Amazon product

Aside from your jello mix, you want to use Kool-Aid or some other drink mixture in place of plain water.

Amazon product

LIGHT corn syrup, not dark:

Amazon product

Tools of The Trade Part 3.

Finally...

6oz of flavored Jello with sugar. The recipe is for 6oz, though you can adapt it. I have never made it with sugar free Gelatin. So YMMV if you want to try that.

Amazon product

6 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin. If you are using the packets, that would be 6 packets. Again, this is for a 6 oz batch of gummy mixture.

Amazon product

PS - I kinda hate Amazon. And am just using this for reference. Almost ALL of this stuff, especially the ingredients, are obviously cheaper locally.

I will get the recipe up later. I need to do some work.

Thanks for the shopping list! Some interesting ingredients I had not seen mentioned before: both the guar gum and sorbate. Definitely already have the silicone whisk, great addition and good mention for those just getting into it.

Thanks for the shopping list! Some interesting ingredients I had not seen mentioned before: both the guar gum and sorbate. Definitely already have the silicone whisk, great addition and good mention for those just getting into it.

Yes, your emulsifier is important to bind everything together and get even distribution of your extract throughout the gelatin mixture. Especially with oil based extracts. Lecithin does work as well. But I do not like the flavor. Guar is tasteless - like me!

Potassium Sorbate is the stabilizer. I think I mentioned that already?

Anhyoo. Just popping in real quick. I've got some work to do. But I am also working on cleaning up my recipe to post. If I post it as-is, it would make zero sense.

Here it is. I tried to make it as un-clusterfucky as possible:

Gummies

Ingredients Needed For a 6oz Batch of Gummies:

1/2 cup COLD water/drink mix solution. See prep below.

5-6 Tablespoons of Knox unflavored gelatin, or whatever is available to you = 6 packs if you are using the single packets. (The amount of unflavored gelatin you use can be adjusted to your liking within reason. I find that the more you use, the harder the gummies are as an end result. I use packets out of convenience, but a little harder to measure out, though I suppose I could dump the packets in a container. Anyway, you can play with it. 5 tablespoons is probably the minimum to use unless you really like them soft.).

6oz jello pack

1/2 teaspoon citric acid

Mix 1 tablespoon of potassium sorbate in a container with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix well. I use a small pyrex container with lid and store the unused solution. It will keep in a cupboard pretty much indefinitely. THEN….We use

1/4 teaspoon of the potassium sorbate solution above.

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon guar gum

Flavor oil - half a dropper full. The dropper that comes with the flavor oil bottle. This part is not an exact science. Some flavors impart stronger flavor. Some do not. For instance an orange oil flavor is very strong. Cherry? Not as much (IMHO). Play with it. I use Lorann oils. YMMV but most should work.

I use the 1oz flavor oil bottles and their included droppers as a guide. If you use the tiny, little dram bottles, it will require more. Maybe all of the dram bottle. Again, play with it.

Gummy MOLDS!

———————————————————————————————————————————————

Prep:

1:
First things first. Put your silicone molds in the freezer for a bit while you get everything ready. This will help your gummy mixture set a little faster. Don’t leave them in there for too long. DON'T LEAVE THEM IN overnight for example. If you do, they may take on the smell of the freezer. 30-60 minutes is long enough.

PS - you do NOT need to spray the gummy molds at all with a non-stick spray. If you do, you will have greasy gummies. Ask me how I know! Just leave them as is. The gummies will release fine.

2:
First off your water should BE COLD. AS cold as you can get it. So…

1/2 cup COLD WATER. To this we add a LOT of Pre-sugared Kool-Aid/Drink mix powder. I use the pre-made and sugar already added Kool-Aid mix and use the correct amount of powder to make a 1/4 gallon of Kool-Aid (marked on the kool-aid powder lid) to the 1/2 cup of water. Yes, this is overpowering and sweet! It is necessary. We're essentially making a flavored syrup here.

*You could do this with the cheaper, unsweetened Kool-Aid and add your own sugar and adjust to taste to make a concentrate. Just easier to use the premade with sugar powder.

**You can use other drink mixes. I use Tang in the same amount as above for Orange gummies. UK could use Ribena concentrates etc.

———————————————————————————————————————————————

THEN we begin to make a da gummies…

1:
We divide the 1/2 cup of the COLD water/ kool aid concentrate - into 2 separate containers. So, two 1/4 cup segments.

A) One 1/4 cup can just go into your pot on the stove. And sit there for a bit.

B) The other 1/4 cup we pour into a bowl, something a little wider, like a cereal bowl. To this, we add our Knox gelatin. Not a gigantic mixing bowl. A small bowl that has a little wider bottom so that you can mix well, will do.

2: Stir Knox and water/koolaid mix with fork to get it all mixed up well. Once it becomes gelatinous, Put it in the fridge. This is “blooming” our Knox. Leave in the fridge until it is needed.

3: Put jello, corn syrup in with the water, in pot heat on low until sugar is dissolved. Gelatin mixture does NOT need to boil. Just dissolve everything. Stir slowly to avoid bubbles as best you can.

4: Add citric acid and stir in well. This is going to add a little tartness and also help melt the gelatins even better.

5: Remove bloomed Knox from fridge. You can slice it up with a knife to melt a little easier. I usually just dump it into the pot in chunks.

6: Add Knox stir until melted.

7: Add potassium solution.

8: Make sure that everything is well melted and distributed and NOW…

9: Add your canna extract. It will leave a little oil slick on top of your gelatin. It’s easy to see. This is what we want.

10:
Now…Add the guar gum. We want to sprinkle the guar on top of the little “oil slick” this will help emulsify the oil and allow it to bond with the gelatin, sugars, WATER, etc. Remember: oil and water are enemies. The guar gum allows them to co-exist. If you don't use an emulsifier, your extract oil will not bond with the jello and will not distribute through your gummy mix.

11:
Let everything sit for about 1 minute.

12: Gently whisk the mixture. Slowly so there are minimal bubbles. Continue to whisk slowwwllly Until uniform.

13: Add flavor oil. Stir gently to ensure it is mixed throughout once more.

14: Let gelatin sit for a couple minutes.

15: If you see any white film, take a mesh strainer and scoop it off. As best you can.

16: Pour into squeeze bottles. Or if you are using droppers it’s go time!

17: Remove molds from freezer.

18: Fill molds.

19: Let gummies sit in molds for 30 minutes. Then into the fridge for an hour or so.

20: Remove molds from fridge.

21: Remove gummies from molds. And…

22: Place gummies on a bread cooling rack.

23: Allow gummies to sit out for 24-72 hours so that they shrink and achieve desired texture. Flip gummies over time to time.

23a: If you don’t have a bread cooling rack, you can put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet to shrink and dry. But you will have to flip them over more often.

That is it! At this point, you can bag them, jar them. Whatever. They can sit out for MONTHS without issue. Though I do keep them in a cupboard.

Bonus points!

Gummies sticking together after drying?

Put some ethanol in a spray bottle and mist them lightly on all sides. Allow to dry. This will help them from sticking together.

Bonus, Bonus Points?

If you want to coat them in sugar, or sugar/sour mix then I can explain that. I think that they taste even better coated and it really stops them from sticking together better too.

Last edited:
Wow, unbelievable. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I think I am going to be attempting a batch this weekend. So detailed, a really great guide.

Wow, unbelievable. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I think I am going to be attempting a batch this weekend. So detailed, a really great guide.

You're welcome. Hope it is not too confusing. I tried to lay it out as good as I could.

Once you do it a couple times, it's easy.

I'll add the sugar coating method later. The gummies need to be set out to dry thoroughly before you can do that anyway. It's not really difficult to do. Just a little different than most would think.

Thanks for the reps @Lil Dab !

I have added some additional notes to the recipe that might clarify some things. The amount of unflavored gelatin to add, for instance.

Feel free to experiment and post any results. In the case of this recipe of mine, I learned 3 different recipes at first. Compared results. Then started cobbling them together, and adjusting to see what I could, or couldn't do, to get the recipe where I liked it.

If I come across any refinements, I will edit the original recipe.

Thanks for the reps @Lil Dab !

I have added some additional notes to the recipe that might clarify some things. The amount of unflavored gelatin to add, for instance.

Feel free to experiment and post any results. In the case of this recipe of mine, I learned 3 different recipes at first. Compared results. Then started cobbling them together, and adjusting to see what I could, or couldn't do, to get the recipe where I liked it.

If I come across any refinements, I will edit the original recipe.
No problem thanks for the informative thread.. My wife makes our gummies and they are ok but have looking for ways to improve… I am gonna show her this way hopefully she’ll follow it :toke::bow: I will let you know what comes off it:d5:

Back