Extraction My process for rosin carts

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Sweet and Sour
1. It's important to start with good material that's been properly dried to the right humidity to get the best yield. 60-63% humidity seems to yield best.

Old material yields less and darker rosin, which I use for edibles. Rosin edibles have less of that "weedy" flavor from chlorophyll. I leave the diamond coated sugar leaves on my buds that are being squished for rosin...no need to do a final trim.

2. I remove all stems that might make a hole in my filter bags, so my material is just small pieces of flower "flesh".

3. I have a DabPress rp-35s 3x5 caged heat plates. For carts, i set the temp to 220°f. My shop press is a Harbor Freight.

*If making rosin for low temp dabbing I set my plates to 180° and have squished some tasty rosin as low as 160°. Obviously your yield is affected @160° but you can always re-squish a second time @ higher temp. I cook the leftover pucks in coconut oil in a crockpot to make infused oil for edibles.

4. I use 2x4" 90 micron screen filter bags made by The Press Club available on Amazon. Stuff the bags as tightly and full as you can while still leaving enough bag to close it well. You DON'T want blowouts or material to squeeze out the end of the bag because you overfilled it. I haven't squished since before winter but I think it was 7 grams per filter bag I was using

5. Set the temp on the heat plates and while it's coming up to temp, I place my bag in my parchment and start squeezing just enough to hold the bag closed and allow the material to begin to preheat.

6. When the plates get to about 185° I start applying pressure. Not fully, but 75%. When rosin starts flowing I slowly ratchet the pressure up until (after a minute or 2) i have full pressure. I let the rosin to continue to flow until i stop seeing bubbling action.

*Unlike a hair straightener which you release when you hear the sizzle (mere seconds), I allow my heated plates and hydraulic press to go for several minutes.

Using this method to squish, I get about 20% yield of rosin from my flowers.

7. I winterize my rosin before mixing with terpenes for carts. To winterize, I use Everclear 180 proof grain alcohol. I dissolve my rosin in Everclear and put the mixture in the freezer for a day or 2.

8. After a couple of days in the freezer, the lipids and fats will separate out and can be removed by pouring the mixture through a double coffee filter.

9. The Everclear will need to be completely removed and will evaporate on its own, but I have a friend with a vacuum press, so we use that to ensure everything is removed and to speed the process up.

10. Mix the winterized rosin with the terpene Viscosity at a 1:9 ratio. I use low heat on a magnetic stirrer hot plate. I add a VERY minimal amount of flavored terpenes (a few drops) as a part of that 1:9 ratio to replace any flavor that had been lost in the squish process. Pure terpenes is the only thing I add as an emulsifier to my rosin carts

My emulsified mix (1:9) is way below what I see others using, but I wanted the product to be as pure as I could accomplish. That makes for carts that are so thick you'd swear it was straight rosin and that it would never flow through the cart. But you'd be wrong...they're good to the last drop.

I only use authentic CCELL carts. There are only a few US Distributers and the cost is $2.70 per cart buying 100 at a time. If you're paying less than that... they're knockoffs. I get mine from a guy on ebay for $3.20 each in lots of 20.

I also use the CCELL buttonless batteties. One charge will last for an entire 1/2g cart. I use 1g carts to keep my costs down. The battery will need maybe 1 recharge to kill a 1g cart.

ENJOY!

Last edited:
I've been looking to do this myself, I've read you need to decarb your rosin is that true?

I've been looking to do this myself, I've read you need to decarb your rosin is that true?
I have bet specifically de carved it but you do heat it to about 150 to add the terpenes

I have bet specifically de carved it but you do heat it to about 150 to add the terpenes
I have an ardent. I originally was thinking to add terpenes to rosin and put in the ardent. I don't think I have equipment for winterizing rosin. No vacuum oven. So was gonna use syringe filter instead. What do you think of this plan?

I have an ardent. I originally was thinking to add terpenes to rosin and put in the ardent. I don't think I have equipment for winterizing rosin. No vacuum oven. So was gonna use syringe filter instead. What do you think of this plan?
I have seen it work

What terpenes do you use at what ratio?
I have a thread here where I wrote it all down. I do not remember off the top of my head.

Back