N def, lockout, or normal?

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Twenty20 Mendocino grow of Trizkits has been going swimmingly. I noticed a large quick change in appearance of a couple leaves and was concerned I might have an issue. I suspect two things:

1) Nitrogen deficiency as it is the lowest oldest leaves yellowing from tip to base. Plant could be hungry but, I'm too new to know how to read the plant with certainty. Nitrogen is mobile so if the plant is hungry it can pull what it wants from the older leaves, correct?

2) pH too low. I've been watering at 6.3-ish but I may need to raise it to 6.6-6.8 for a few waterings.

Problem: Yellowing of lowest, oldest, and largest fans. Looks to be spreading to upper leaves in select areas. Plant is entering flowering, so it might be just plain hungry.

Medium/grow method:
"Soil" - BioBizz Light Mix

Feed: and supplements used:
At transplant to pot: Extreme Gardening Mykos granules.

Every two weeks Miicrobial Mass, bit of molasses. (yes, 2 "ii")

AN Sensi Bloom only at 1ml/L so far. NPK for Bloom 5:4:8
A 3-0-0 and B 2-4-8

water source:
Tap mixed with distilled or distilled only for feed days. Tap is 7.8-8.1 212ppm so I cut it with distilled for water only days. I have been watering in at around 6.3, I bumped it up to 6.7 for my last watering yesterday. Distilled only when mixing nutes.

Strain/age:
Twenty20 Mendocino Trizkits : 28 days in soil

light used:
Migro Aray 120W

Climate:
75-82F 73%rh on average

Additional info:
I've been giving only 1ml of Sensi Bloom A/B. It brings the ppms up to the high 400's. Fed maybe 4 times so far. I think I'm getting a Nitrogen deficiency but I wanted to ask you guys first before I add or try anything. Could be totally normal as well. The plant is looking a little droopy as I overwatered. I'm leaving for a couple days so it should have time to dry out. My main concern is that the lowest leaves looked great ~2-3 days ago and are now yellow.

Pics: Whole plant, different lighting, these are all from Day 28

P1030223.JPG

P1030227.JPG

This guy right here:

P1030225.JPG

P1030226.JPG

Comparison: These pics are from day 26

P1030215.JPG

P1030213.JPG

Full thread with near daily documentation of watering, feeding, temp/rh, etc....

Thanks for reading. If this is totally normal behavior or if I should add something please let me know. I've avoided doing or adding anything. I have added no Cal/Mag. I have Green Planet Massive Bloom (1:2:3) that I was going to start adding at the next feed as it's getting into flower. I also have DynaGro Foliage Pro (9:3:6) on hand if an "N" bump is needed.

Attachments

• P1030213.JPG
    P1030213.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Lol. That made me chuckle. :crying: :pass:
EP3

My response is going to start off with a little tough love. STOP FOLLOWING GROW GUIDES, lol.. No, seriously, stop, lol. You can't grow good weed with a chart or step by step guide. If you could, the old heads would have invented a chart in the 70's that everyone would still be using today and everyone would be a master grower by now.. Every plant is different.. Every environment is different.. Every growers level of understanding is different. There are no set instructions for growing weed.. Only suggestions.. And most suggestions won't apply to your specific situation. Once you commit to learning how things work this will all make much more sense. But following guides is a major part of the issue right now..

Let's get to the plant.. Its on day 28! Brooo! Think about that.. Day 28.. Bio bizz lite ALONE has enough nutrients to get an auto through at least 2-3 weeks with just water.. Probably longer..The plant didn't just start showing signs.. It's been showing signs since dat 15-16..(I checked your journal).. You are right.. One of the issue that is showing up is with a mobile nutrient.. And yes, nitrogen is a mobile nutrient.. The plant is also showing signs in its new growth (bright yellow) which is caused by issues with immobile nutrients...

My opinion?

The plant is in the middle of what seems to be a nutrient lock out.. Which nutrient is locked out?? Looks like a few of them.. Nitrogen, maybe calcium, maybe magnesium.. Maybe all three.. What caused the lock out? The same thing that always causes a lock out, an excess of one or more nutrients.. Which nutrients could be in excess? Well, take a look at that feed guide you're following, lol.. It's telling you to feed an auto seedling a bloom feed that is high in potassium starting at day 7.. Vegging cannabis plants need high nitrogen and low potassium.. Flowering cannabis plants need low nitrogen and high potassium.. Why someone would suggest bloom nutes in veg is beyond me.. That makes zero sense in my eyes... So basically the plant has been getting way more potassium than it needs (excess).. This can easily cause a lock out of other nutrients.. What other nutrients? Well.. Take a look at the chart...

Screenshot_20201203-103105~2.png

Excess potassium can lock out nitrogen, calcium AND magnesium.. Your plant is showing signs of all three being possibly locked out.. On top of the normal signs of potassium toxicity. So that's 4 different nutrient issues at play.. No... Lock outs do not mean add more of something to fix it.. It means the delicate balance of nutrients is off.. Nitrogen is present in the soil, so is calcium and magnesium.. They are just unavailable because of the presence of too much potassium. That's what I see and get from what I've read.. I bet the grow guides don't tell you any of this huh, lol..

When I used bottled nutes, my highest ppms for auto feeds were about 500.. And that was only sometimes, for the last 2 weeks of flower. Usually the feeds were 3-400ppm.. I didn't use bloom nutes in veg, nor did I use veg nutes in bloom. That seriously does not make sense to me, lol. You have been pushing 4-500 ppms from day 14... That's like feeding steak to an infant... The plant has been showing nute burned leaf tips for a while. That's a sign of over feeding or an excess of potassium. Im not sure what to suggest at this point as I don't know how committed you are to the guide you're following.. If you have veg nutes I would use them while the plant is in veg. It's showing sex now, but it's not in flower.. It's in the early stages of preflower at best.. If you don't have veg nutes, then I would use only part A for a week or so to try to even out the balance. This was just a classic case of too much too soon..

Just as an example of how little needs to be done when growing in a known soil brand.. Here are my 10 photo period plants that are in one gallon pots of basic roots organic. I popped seeds and forgot I needed soil.. Went to a local spot and grabbed the cheapest roots organic bag..
20210328_190859~2.jpg

They are on day 28 of life (same as your autos) and haven't gotten anything but water, and they are thriving. Not a discolored leaf to be found. No they aren't autos, but this is just to show that soils like bio bizz lite, roots organic, ocean forrest and happy frog, are all ready to use out of the bag just like they say they are. There is no need to feed for weeks. Autos live like 80 days.. You could probably get halfway through its life with out adding a single thing.. If you want to feed from week 1 to harvest, you may want to try coco or promix or hydro.. Something that doesn't have nutrients/food already available in it.. Good soil is a food source, not just a medium.. I hope this made some kind of sense..

Last edited:
:yeahthat: There is a pretty steep learning curve with pre-charged soils. Are you getting enough air exchange in the room? I had some plants that looked like that once when my Co² ran out.

Hey m8.. sorry my schedule has run you into problems.. ive never had lockout with it and it gets me decent results. I've never measured ppm or pH either in 7 years of growing. I swiped the schedule from a grower called Tang who used to post on here along time ago. He never seemed to have any lockout issues with it either and he always grew top drawer plants. It's always worked for me so I've always used it. I have no idea why its run you into issues but hopefully the more knowledgeable guys you've tagged can set you straight :d5: :thumbsup: if you do decide to have a go at feeding nothing but water in light mix for the first 40 days of an autos life tag me in plz.. interested to see how that goes.

Last edited:
:d5: They look smashing to me, hope.
Cheers
EP3

Thank you guys. I've been gone a couple days so back at it today. Just water until I figure out the best route to cool things off. Maybe extremely light on the veg/grow nutes. It's only my second grow so I'm still expecting to screw up a bit here and there but, it's already gone way better than the first one!

@Proph - thanks for the reply. I didn't think it harsh, just truthful which is what I was looking for. I appreciate it greatly. My eyesight is terrible and I cannot see the small changes in leaf color to save my life so I definitely don't notice what's happening until it's bad. That's on me and being old plus a new grower. I think you nailed it at P excess, leading to N lockout +ca/mg. I would not have been able to pick that out. Example - posting here. hahaha. So thank you again.

Reactions: EP3
Back