Need help figuring this odd deficiency out

The Medicine Man

Head Hydro Honcho
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, over the past week or so this has been cropping up on new growth in one of my aero chambers. It's weird because it's only happening on new growth, and only happening either at the base of the petal or right in the middle, leaving the tip and the base of each petal green and fine looking. No bugs around in here, either, so I figure it's got to be something weird with the mix, which is just Pure Blend Pro, Aquashield, and a drop or two superthrive in a 4 gallon bucket.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! defficiency_1.jpgdefficiency_2.jpg

Looks like your pH is high. This is what it looks like right before lockout. You can fix it... the sooner the better. :peace:

Could it be that it's possibly too low? My water is sooooooo soft and filtered it's crazy low, comes out of my faucet around 3.5-4. I've always brought it up to around 6 but it keeps hitting that low pH at the end of the day, every day, especially now that it's kept a lot cooler than it was before.

dude.... dont use water thats been softened theres sooooo much salt in there.

yeah softened water is baaaaad!

check the basic deficiensies list in my signatue... and use rainwater o something... no softened water... messes it all up.... def looks like start of ph lockout

heres a cuple charts to help ya:

ph vs uptake.gifph vs uptake 2.jpg

Well, I had got a pH meter shortly after I first put this thread up. It was pretty dang high, not low. I've since adjusted the ph and those pictures I posted in my other thread showing that crazy 3 weeks of growth... well, that's all with softened water. The ppm's out of my faucet are around 80. After the softener I have a large (around 80 gallon) aeration system to mitigate radon. The salts mostly collect there. Unfortunately I live in an area that requires some pretty heavy filtration of the well water. But, while it's expensive, it gives me really nice drinking water that's pretty alkaline, which is great for the body. pH is around 8.4 out of the faucet.

So... while softened water may be a bad thing for some, it hasn't caused an issue for me. Probably the aeration unit after the softener, which, also in between those two units is another iron filter that's a heavy resin filter.

damn... sounds like you have some crappy water...

might wanna look into using a rain barrel... i switched to rain barrel in the winter... and what a difference!!! ultimately, if you keep your ph on target you should be ok... keep your water between 6.3 and 6.5 you can use white vinegar as a ph buffer to go down... works like a charm. hope this helps mate

cheers!
:smokebuds:

Thanks! I can't do much for a rain barrel until I get my metal roof installed. Even then, I can't keep it out over the winter, 'cause our temps get down well below 0 F for much of the winter. And yea, I just keep the pH in check, mostly stable only coming up a tenth of a point every 48 hours, so not too big a thing anymore. I keep it more around 5.8 for hydro though. Someday I'll live in an area warm enough to keep a rain barrel (or big cistern) all year 'round.

i get wicked cold temps in winter too.... so i collect snow and melt it in winter... works great... sounds like your ph is right on target... :smokebuds:

Back