Pest control and top dressing

Dankerson,

Thanks good to know they are part of most organic grows, which is what I suspected. The key seems to be to control them to prevent full blown infestations.

I tend to lean on the underwatering side. But when I top dress at week 3 or 4, I want to keep the top moist to allow my organisms to break down the dry amendments. I think adding nematodes right before the top dress will help with the next grow.
When I top dress anything, I put the dry amendments down first & cover with coffee grounds, worm castings, &/or rich compost. I also follow up with recharge. It keeps in moisture & helps get things going IMHO.

I've been doing worm castings on top of my dry amendments and they seem to be breaking down. It's the gnats that appear because of the moist soil. I'm hoping since now I'm using nematodes, it will keep the larvae from hatching and keep the population in check.

Currently started a new grow in 5gal pots, but going 30gal no-till in my 2.3X2.3 tent next time, which means I'll be able to keep a healthy beneficial population thriving (or so I hope) and implement cover crops.

I use either Bti or nematodes in a prophylactic manner starting 1 week after the soil is first watered, you need to let the eggs hatch and the larvae start their thing so there is food for the good guys! I do top dress and top water organic soil.

Back