Questions about Jack's Nutrients - Answered by Jack's Blue Crew

ExNavyInSTL

Old Sailor with a new hobby!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My own shit, thanks to places like this!
I've mentioned a couple of things about me before:

(1) Total Gardening Noob
(2) Next grow (my 2nd) I am for sure using Jack's Nutrients 3-2-1 plan

Because I couldn't seem to pick up answers for some of my questions from reading and watching videos I decided to write them directly. I think some of my questions (and their answers) could be helpful to others.

Their answers and suggestions are in Red following my questions or comments:

Subject: First Time User of the 3-2-1 for Cannabis

I found you through GreenGene’s YouTube videos. I have a couple of questions for you before I start.

First, I’ll explain my situation and intentions:

I start my next grow in January and will be using Jacks 3-2-1 (using Part A 5-12-26 and Part B 15-0-0) as follows per gallon.

a) 3.6 g Part A
b) 2.4 g Part B
c) 1.2 g Epsom Salts

The cannabis plant is 2 x Mephisto’s Double Grape (Auto Flower).

I use RO water and realize I may need to compensate for the potential shortage of Ca and Mg. I’ll let the plants let me know if I need more. You should not need to add Cal-mag supplements – make sure to feed every time the plants need water. The 3-2-1 has elevated amounts of Ca and Mg to hit the nutritional needs when using super clean water sources, such as RO water.

Both will be grown in soil which is a mix of Brut’s Super Soil, Fox Farm Happy Frog and FF Ocean Forest. The soil is amended with perlite, vermiculite, and a small number of clay balls and lava rock.

I also understand my soil mix is nicely nutrient fortified. Meaning, I may not need to start Jack’s 3-2-1 for a few weeks (unless you say otherwise). When using growing mediums charged with nutrients, there is not a clear answer to adding nutrients in the beginning weeks and if the nutrients will harm the plants. We recommend doing a side-by-side, where you add nutrients to one plant on day one and add zero nutrients to the other plant.

Now, my questions:

(1) I have a 14-gallon Rubbermaid Tote that I have converted into my Feed Reservoir for my BluMat Drip Watering System. Since I am only feeding 1 or 2 plants it may take a while to go through 14-gallons. Meaning the 3-2-1 solution may take 2 weeks or more before updating the mix. Is this too long? The nutrient solution normally stays good for about 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks are up, the nutrients themselves do not go bad. However, you may start to see algae or mold. If you do see algae or mold, we recommend draining and refilling with a fresh nutrient solution.

For further Background:

Since I am growing auto flower plants and won’t have control using a light cycle switch to flower, upon first sighting of the unscheduled flower I plan to switch to GreenGene’s 2:2:2:1.2 plan.

From my understanding, this means he goes 2:2:2 with Jack’s and adds 1.2g of M-K-P during Flowering. One of the great things about the 3-2-1 is it allows for flexibility! We recommend using the 3-2-1 during veg and mid flower. However, growers play around with the ratios at various times of the plant's life and are seeing great success.

That is the end of Jack's commentary:

The following info is just FYI transposed from GreenGene's YouTube (Greengenes Ultimate Nutrient Guide) about the PPM number for 3-2-1 when measured as:

Part A 5-12-26 and Part B 15-0-0 as follows per gallon.

a) 3.6 g Part A
b) 2.4 g Part B
c) 1.2 g Epsom Salts

DataJPG.jpg

As the flowers begin to mature, I intend to switch to GG's 2:2:2:1.2:

a) 2.0 g Part A
b) 2.0 g Part B
c) 2.0 g Epsom Salts
d) 1.2 g M-K-P

And those PPM's look like this:

Data2.png

You will need to watch the Bluemat Drippers for blockages closely when running any nutrients through them. The pores will become calcified fairly rapidly. I personally would fertilize by hand and just let the Bluemats water. Use RO or DI water only and they will last much longer.

You need to check the math on your fertilizer calculations. I use GreenLeaf 2 part which is nearly identical to Jack's and these are my numbers? Remember your numbers are elemental mine are in EC. You will be way too hot for autos maybe even photos when young?

2021-12-13_14-28-42.jpg

MoG:

I've been thinking seriously about using the BluMat just for the daily drip of water and hand feeding in the nutrients as you suggest. I had so much gunk build-up with the FF Trio, Kelp, Humic ... etc. There were a couple of times I had to massage the little 3mm tubes to get sludge unstuck.

Although, I may put my Tribulus in the 14-gallon rez. It disappears into the water nicely. I like the idea of adding new biomes when BluMat gets a request from the plant for new water. However, anything dark like Recharge, molasses, or my powdered Fulvic Acid is going in by hand for sure.

I've also upgraded my BluMat setup. Now, instead of just a 5" single ceramic sensor, I am running the 9" with a circumference of drippers that feed off that deeper model. I'll put those about 2" from the side of the fabric pots (5 gals). I'll keep the short unit to drip at the stem base. By having a sensor deeper hopefully, those outer rings will balance the water to a greater depth.

Even though I did not have watering issues (as far as watering amounts) with just the one shorter sensor, I do like your idea of watering the whole pot to keep the biomes happy throughout and not just around the stem area. When I do feed nutrients, I'll do the typical drench of the whole pot gently enough to keep most of it inside the fabric pot.

As far as nutrients and the hotness, we'll see. That's the one thing I like about a 3-part dry nutrient plan. You can dial it in or dial it back (mostly) by specific elements without changing what doesn't need to be changed. If I need more or less magnesium I can adjust only the Epsom salts portion. It's not perfect because if I need more Calcium and have to go to the 15-0-0 bag I am forced to take on a little nitrogen.

When you mentioned you use MegaCrop I remember in one of GreenGene's videos he included the numbers for MegaCrop, Athena, Crop Salt, GH Lucas, Front Row, Flora Flex, Veg/Bloom, and Master Build as well as other variations of Jack's recipe's.

Screenshot.jpeg

You will need to watch the Bluemat Drippers for blockages closely when running any nutrients through them. The pores will become calcified fairly rapidly. I personally would fertilize by hand and just let the Bluemats water. Use RO or DI water only and they will last much longer.

Last edited:
Back