What are the Healthiest Oils to Cook With?

Root

Grandma Roody
Reaction score
Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
http://authoritynutrition.com/healthy-cooking-oils/
Healthy Cooking Oils – The Ultimate Guide

chef-cooking-in-kitchen.jpg

You have many options when it comes to selecting fats and oils for cooking.

But it’s not just a matter of choosing oils that are healthy, but also whether they stay healthy after having been cooked with.

The Stability of Cooking Oils

When you’re cooking at a high heat, you want to use oils that are stable and don’t oxidize or go rancid easily.
When oils undergo oxidation, they react with oxygen to form free radicals and harmful compounds that you definitely don’t want to be consuming.
The most important factor in determining an oil’s resistance to oxidation and rancidification, both at high and low heat, is the relative degree of saturation of the fatty acids in it.
Saturated fats have only single bonds in the fatty acid molecules, monounsaturated fats have one double bond and polyunsaturated fats have two or more.
It is these double bonds that are chemically reactive and sensitive to heat.
Saturated fats and monounsaturated fats are pretty resistant to heating, but oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats should be avoided for cooking (1).
Alright, now let’s discuss each type of cooking fat specifically.

The Winner: Coconut Oil

coconut-oil.jpg

When it comes to high heat cooking, coconut oils your best choice.
Over 90% of the fatty acids in it are saturated, which makes it very resistant to heat.
This oil is semi-solid at room temperature and it can last for months and years without going rancid.
Coconut oil also has powerful health benefits. It is particularly rich in a fatty acid called Lauric Acid, which can improve cholesterol and help kill bacteria and other pathogens (2, 3, 4).
The fats in coconut oil can also boost metabolism slightly and increase feelings of fullness compared to other fats. It is the only cooking oil that made it to my list of superfoods (5, 6, 7).
Fatty Acid Breakdown:

• Saturated: 92%.
  • Monounsaturated: 6%.
  • Polyunsaturated: 1.6%.
Make sure to choose virgin coconut oil. It’s organic, it tastes good and it has powerful health benefits.
The saturated fats used to be considered unhealthy, but new studies prove that they are totally harmless. Saturated fats are a safe source of energy for humans (8, 9, 10).

Butter

butter.jpg

Butter was also demonized in the past due to its saturated fat content.
But there really is no reason to fear real butter. It’s the processed margarine that is the truly awful stuff (11).
Real butter is good for you and actually fairly nutritious.
It contains Vitamins A, E and K2. It is also rich in the fatty acids Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and Butyrate, both of which have powerful health benefits.
CLA may lower body fat percentage in humans and butyrate can fight inflammation, improve gut health and has been shown to make rats completely resistant to becoming obese (12, 13, 14, 15, 16).
Fatty Acid Breakdown:

• Saturated: 68%.
  • Monounsaturated: 28%.
  • Polyunsaturated: 4%.
There is one caveat for cooking with butter. Regular butter does contain tiny amounts of sugars and proteins and for this reason it tends to get burned during high heat cooking like frying.
If you want to avoid that, you can make clarified butter, or ghee. That way, you remove the lactose and proteins, leaving you with pure butterfat.
Here’s a great tutorial on how to clarify your own butter.
Make sure to choose butter from grass-fed cows. This butter contains more Vitamin K2, CLA and other nutrients, compared to butter from grain-fed cows.

Olive Oil

olive-oil.jpg

Olive oil is well known for its heart healthy effects and is believed to be a key reason for the health benefits of the mediterranean diet.
Some studies show that olive oil can improve biomarkers of health.
It can raise HDL (the good) cholesterol and lower the amount of oxidized LDL cholesterol circulating in your bloodstream (17, 18).
Fatty Acid Breakdown:

• Saturated: 14%.
  • Monounsaturated: 75%.
  • Polyunsaturated: 11%.
Studies on olive oil show that despite having fatty acids with double bonds, you can still use it for cooking as it is fairly resistant to the heat (19).
Make sure to choose quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It has much more nutrients and antioxidants than the refined type. Plus it tastes much better.
Keep your olive oil in a cool, dry, dark place, to prevent it from going rancid.
Animal Fats – Lard, Tallow, Bacon Drippings

bacon.jpg

The fatty acid content of animals tends to vary depending on what the animals eat.
If they eat a lot of grains, the fats will contain quite a bit of polyunsaturated fats.
If the animals are pastured raised or grass-fed, there will be more saturated and monounsaturated fats in them.
Therefore, animal fats from animals that are naturally raised are excellent options for cooking.
You can buy ready-made lard or tallow from the store, or you can save the drippings from meat to use at a later time. Bacon drippings are especially tasty.

Palm Oil

cut-oil-palm-fruit.jpg

Palm oil is derived from the fruit of oil palms.
It consists mostly of saturated and monounsaturated fats, with small amounts of polyunsaturates.
This makes palm oil a good choice for cooking.
Red Palm Oil (the unrefined variety) is best. It is also rich in Vitamins E, Coenzyme Q10 and other nutrients.
However, some concerns have been raised about the sustainability of harvesting palm oil, apparently growing these trees means less environment available for Orangutans, which are an endangered species.
Avocado Oil

avocado.jpg

The composition of avocado oil is similar to olive oil. It is primarily monounsaturated, with some saturated and polyunsaturated mixed in.
It can be used for many of the same purposes as olive oil. You can cook with it, or use it cold.

Fish Oil

Fish oil is very rich in the animal form of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are DHA and EPA. A tablespoon of fish oil can satisfy your daily need for these very important fatty acids.
cod-fish.jpg

The best fish oil is cod fish liver oil, because it is also rich in Vitamin D3, which a large part of the world is deficient in.
However, due to its high concentration of polyunsaturated fats, fish oil should neverbe used for cooking. It’s best used as a supplement, one tablespoon per day. Keep in a cool, dry and dark place.
Flax Oil

flax-seeds.jpg

Flax oil contains lots of the plant form of Omega-3, Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA).
Many people use this oil to supplement with Omega-3 fats.
However, unless you’re vegan, then I do recommend that you use fish oil instead.
Evidence shows that the human body doesn’t efficiently convert ALA to the active forms, EPA and DHA, of which fish oil has plenty (20).
Due to the large amount of polyunsaturated fats, flax seed oil should NOT be used for cooking.
Canola Oil

rapeseed-oil.jpg

Canola oil is derived from rapeseeds, but the euric acid (a toxic, bitter substance) has been removed from it.
The fatty acid breakdown of canola oil is actually fairly good, with most of the fatty acids monounsaturated, then containing Omega-6 and Omega-3 in a 2:1 ratio, which is perfect.
However, canola oil needs to go through very harshprocessing methods before it is turned into the final product.
Check out this video to see how canola oil is made. It is very disgusting and involves the toxic solvent hexane (among others) – I personally don’t think these oils are suitable for human consumption.

Nut Oils and Peanut Oil

nuts.jpg

There are many nut oils available and some of them taste awesome.
However, they are very rich in polyunsaturated fats, which make them a poor choice for cooking.
They can be used as parts of recipes, but do not fry or do any high heat cooking with them.
The same applies to peanut oil. Peanuts technically aren’t nuts (they’re legumes) but the composition of the oil is similar.
There is one exception, however, and that is macadamia nut oil, which is mostly monounsaturated (like olive oil). It is pricey, but I hear it tastes awesome.
If you want, you can use macadamia oil for low- or medium-heat cooking.
Seed- and Vegetable Oils

vegetable-oils.jpg

Industrial seed and vegetable oils are highly processed, refined products that are way too rich in Omega-6 fatty acids.
Not only should you not cook with them, you should probably avoid them altogether.
These oils have been wrongly considered “heart-healthy” by the media and many nutrition professionals in the past few decades.
However, new data links these oils with many serious diseases, including heart disease and cancer (21, 22, 23).
Avoid all of them:

• Soybean Oil
  • Corn Oil
  • Cottonseed Oil
  • Canola Oil
  • Rapeseed Oil
  • Sunflower Oil
  • Sesame Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil
  • Safflower Oil
  • Rice Bran Oil
One study also looked at common vegetable oils on food shelves in the U.S. market and discovered that they contain between 0.56 to 4.2% trans fats, which are highly toxic (24).
It’s important to read labels. If you find any of these oils on a packaged food that you are about to eat, then it’s best to purchase something else.
How to Take Care of Your Cooking Oils

To make sure that your fats and oils don’t go rancid, it is important to keep a few things in mind.
Don’t buy large batches at a time. Buy smaller ones, that way you will most likely use them before they get the chance to damage.
When it comes to unsaturated fats like olive, palm, avocado oil and some others, it is important to keep them in an environment where they are less likely to oxidize and go rancid.
The main drivers behind oxidative damage of cooking oils are heat, oxygen and light.
Therefore, keep them in a cool, dry, dark place and make sure to screw the lid on as soon as you’re done using them.

Another good oil...
http://www.livestrong.com/article/406768-the-health-benefits-of-grape-seed-cooking-oil/

The Health Benefits of Grape Seed Cooking Oil

photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Farticle%2F34%2F116%2F81270256_XS.jpg

Grape seed oil is made from seeds leftover from the wine-making process. Photo CreditJupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images When considering the health benefits of grapes, you might not think to include the seeds of the fruit. Grape seeds produce an oil that can be used topically or for cooking, and the oil is rich in a range of health benefits. Full of antioxidants, grape seed cooking oil can be used in dressings or for cooked dishes.
Heart Health Benefits

A review of current research published in the “Journal of the American Dietetic Association” in 2011 concluded that grape seed oil helped lower blood pressure levels as well as overall heart rate. Moreover, the oil did not affect blood lipid levels. Both animal and human studies were reviewed, and while the results are promising, researchers concluded that further long-term studies were needed.
Antioxidant Content

According to Drugs.com, grape seed extracts contain the antioxidant proanthocyanidin. In a study published in 2000 in the “Journal of Medicine,” the proanthocyanidin content of grape seeds helped lower the overall low-density lipoprotein levels as well as total overall cholesterol levels. In addition, the study participants who received the grape seed extract had lower oxidized LDL levels than the control group. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, however, the evidence that grape seed extract affects cholesterol levels is inconclusive.

Potential Cancer Protectant

According to a 2006 article in “Clinical Cancer Research,” an animal study conducted at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center found that grape seed extract was helpful in inhibiting the growth, development and effects of colorectal cancer cells. Scientists concluded that grape seed extract may help inhibit colorectal cancer tumor growth without toxicity. This research is still in its early stages, however, and further study of grape seed extract as a means to prevent colorectal cancer is needed, including research on human participants.Production and Use

Grape seed oil is made by grinding the seeds and pressing them to release their fatty compounds. Grape seed oil has a neutral taste and so can be used as a substitute for a range of other oils, including vegetable oil, olive oil, peanut oil and butter. Despite its neutral flavor and health benefits, however, it is still a fat and should be consumed sparingly. According to ChooseMyPlate.gov, the recommended oil consumption for adults is between 6 and 7 teaspoons per day.

Good work man. As a health professional (my second job) I appreciate you putting this up. We are what we eat--and cook with.

Cheers.

Glad you like it!

I've been cooking with coconut oil and I Love it!

What do you think of this?

http://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling-for-oral-health/

Oil Pulling for Oral Health

Oil-Pulling-a-natural-and-traditional-way-of-whitening-teeth-and-boosting-oral-health.jpg

What is Oil Pulling?

Oil pulling is an age-old remedy that uses natural substances to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. It has the added effect of whitening teeth naturally and evidence even shows that it is beneficial in improving gums and removing harmful bacteria!
The basic idea is that oil is swished in the mouth for a short time each day and that this action helps improve oral health. Just as with Oil Cleansing for the skin, the principle of “like dissolves like” applies, as oil is able to cut through plaque and remove toxins without disturbing the teeth or gums.
The practice of oil pulling started in India thousands of years ago, and from my research, was first introduced to the United States in the early 1990s by a medical doctor named Dr. F. Karach, who used it with success in his medical practice.
I found hundreds of testimonials online from people who experienced benefits from oil pulling, including help with skin conditions, arthritis, asthma, headaches, hormone imbalances, infections, liver problems and more.
Though I’ve done this for a few years, my only personal experience is with increased oral health and less sensitive (and whiter!) teeth. After listening to the recent Heal Thy Mouth Summit and hearing several experts explain how bacteria and infection can enter the blood through the mouth, it does make sense that addressing these infections could have an impact in other parts of the body, I just haven’t had personal experience with this.
At the very least, I think that oil pulling can be very beneficial and has no downside as long as a quality oil (that is high enough quality to eat) is used. Oil pulling is a very inexpensive therapy that could potentially have great benefit on oral health, so I see no downside to trying it and I have used it myself for several years.
How to Do Oil Pulling:

The concept is incredibly simple. Basically, a person swishes a couple teaspoons of a vegetable based oil (coconut, sesame or olive) in the mouth for 20 minutes and then spits it out and rinses well. Oil pulling is best done in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, though Dr. Bruce Fife suggests that it can be done before each meal if needed for more severe infections or dental problems.
How to do oil pulling:

1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth. I prefer to use 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil. I scoop it out as a solid and let it melt in my mouth before swishing (I don’t like the texture of solid coconut oil). I also pour a few drops of Brushing Blend (naturally antibacterial) into the mix.
  2. Swish for 20 minutes. Apparently the timing is key, according to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spit out.
  3. Spit oil into the trash can. Especially if you have a septic system like I do… don’t spit into the sink! Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria, toxins and pus that are now not in the mouth!
  4. Rinse well with warm water. Warm water seems to clean the mouth better (my opinion). I swish a few times with warm water to get any remaining oil out of my mouth.
  5. Brush well. I prefer to brush with Brushing Blend to make sure any remaining bacteria is killed.
I personally do this with coconut oil and brushing blend each morning before breakfast. Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and has a milder taste that other oils and is my personal preference, though I’ve also seen it recommended by oral health experts.
I’ve noticed whiter teeth since starting oil pulling, but most notably, my teeth are incredibly smooth! Between this and my homemade toothpaste, I never have visible plaque on my teeth, and even at dental visits, they aren’t able to scrape off any plaque.
Does it Work?

My only personal experience is with the oral health benefits, and I continue doing it for this reason, but there is evidence that it might help with other conditions as well. The most comprehensive resource I’ve seen on the topic is the book “Oil Pulling Therapy” by Dr. Bruce Fife.
There are some scientific studies that support the benefits of oil pulling, including those showing its benefit on different types or oral bacteria, on dental caries, on plaque/gingivitis and on oral micro-organisms:
S Asokan, J Rathan, MS Muthu, PV Rathna, P Emmadi, Raghuraman, Chamundeswari.Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry. 26(1):12-7, 2008 Mar
TD Anand, C Pothiraj, RM Gopinath, et al. Effect of oil-pulling on dental caries causing bacteria (PDF). African Journal of Microbiology Research, Vol 2:3 pp 63-66, MAR 2008. (PDF Link)
HV Amith, Anil V Ankola, L Nagesh. Effect of Oil Pulling on Plaque and Gingivitis. Journal of Oral Health & Community Dentistry: 2007; 1(1):pages 12-18
S Thaweboon, J Nakaparksin, B Thaweboon. Effect of Oil-Pulling on Oral Microorganisms in Biofilm Models. Asia Journal of Public Health: 2011 May-Aug. (PDF)
Notes:

Some people supposedly notice a detox reaction for the first few days of using oil pulling that usually includes mild congestion, headache, mucous drainage or other effects. I personally didn’t notice any of these effects, but have read cases of others who did.
There are conflicting opinions on if it is safe to do oil pulling while pregnant or nursing. Since I started using oil pulling while not pregnant, I feel comfortable continuing while pregnant, especially as oral health can decline during pregnancy, but I’d encourage anyone considering it to do their own research as well.

Back