DIY 3d printing as a necessary tool in the grow

Reaction score
Hi all. New member, been growing almost 2 years. I posted in another feed about hydrometer mason jar lids because of my recent purchase of a used 3d printer and the ability to print a similar part. Yeah I can cut into existing lids but sure that I would cut myself. Printing them is much safer and work very well.

After I purchased a used Ender 3, I went down a rabbit hole of all the types of parts and equipment you can make for very little cost. Here's a short list of either items I found free designs for, or that my bud designed and I printed:
  • Custom air vent port for sliding window (This alone would pay for the cost of the printer!)
  • LST training canes, supports, and clamps
  • Hydroponic/Airponic towers
  • Aerogarden parts and mods
  • Net pots
  • grow tent replacement connectors
  • Greenhouse plastic clips
  • and a lot more for dirt and hydro grows
I'm also nerding out heavy on organzational prints for the space. Pegboard is heavily supported with all sorts of custom files. If you or someone near you has an aptitude for it, you might consider getting a 3d printer. I'm not sure how we lived without one!

Who else here has a nerdy love for 3d printers? Have any discoveries or prints they want to share?

Hi all. New member, been growing almost 2 years. I posted in another feed about hydrometer mason jar lids because of my recent purchase of a used 3d printer and the ability to print a similar part. Yeah I can cut into existing lids but sure that I would cut myself. Printing them is much safer and work very well.

After I purchased a used Ender 3, I went down a rabbit hole of all the types of parts and equipment you can make for very little cost. Here's a short list of either items I found free designs for, or that my bud designed and I printed:
  • Custom air vent port for sliding window (This alone would pay for the cost of the printer!)
  • LST training canes, supports, and clamps
  • Hydroponic/Airponic towers
  • Aerogarden parts and mods
  • Net pots
  • grow tent replacement connectors
  • Greenhouse plastic clips
  • and a lot more for dirt and hydro grows
I'm also nerding out heavy on organzational prints for the space. Pegboard is heavily supported with all sorts of custom files. If you or someone near you has an aptitude for it, you might consider getting a 3d printer. I'm not sure how we lived without one!

Who else here has a nerdy love for 3d printers? Have any discoveries or prints they want to share?
I've got no idea how they even work but I'm very interested in what you make and can you tag me with some creations and its nice to meet you :cools:

Here's some links to existing stuff on Thingiverse I've printed:

My buddy had to hack this for the tower fan we have but it works so well:

Some other cool stuff I have bookmarked:

I should tell you, I'm no expert. This is a new hobby and there are quirks to getting complex prints right. However, it is still very approachable. If you can setup a home entertainment system, you can probably figure this out.

@St. Tom

Last edited:
I've seen some cool uses people local to me making clips to go on poles so you can take a smaller fan without an appropriate clip and attach it little post shelfs for camera or temp humidity gauges. Haven't seen some of what was in the original post but they are really cool ideas. 3d printers are pretty amazing really.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I’ll take a couple clips for the lasko fans please!

If anyone wants one off 3d prints, let's talk. Right now I'm sharpening my skills with the printer, and getting modeling help from a friend. I'm happy to get some parts printed for any of you. Help me with postage and a little for the plastic. PM me if you are interested.

If anyone wants one off 3d prints, let's talk. Right now I'm sharpening my skills with the printer, and getting modeling help from a friend. I'm happy to get some parts printed for any of you. Help me with postage and a little for the plastic. PM me if you are interested.
Learn Fusion 360 for designing your parts. Lots of info on Youtube. It's free if you're only using it with a makers license.
Take a look @ Lars Christensen's channel or Fusion 360's own channel for tutorials ;)

Back