Are Grove bags actually good for curing?

If I over dry I will bag with Boost 62s as well. Even if borderline. In my experience, grove bags cannot increase humidity as easily or quickly as they can drop it.
Grove bags can't increase RH, period, at least not if ambient RH is lower than in the bag. If RH goes up, it is moisture from the inner parts of the buds and stems. Bud will dry out if left in Groves for a long time when ambient RH is low.

There is no doubt that Grove bags can cure without burping. Whether that is because they are effective because of special design of the plastic envelope, or whether they are simply relabeled food storage/marketing bags is the question in my mind. The bags that my spiced peanuts, and numerous other products, come in appear identical in weight and construction.

One of these days I might do some testing to compare behaviour of Groves with standard food storage envelopes, but that project has not made it to the top of the list yet.

Bottom line, they work. Whether the price is remotely justified is another matter. :pighug:

I'd presume that "standard food storage envelopes," particularly when these are a more expensive laminated (multiple layer) type, are designed to either fully/hermetically seal or otherwise keep oxygen and likely also water vapor from entering. With most food products, you want to prevent entry of air/oxygen and water vapor, or at least keep the same levels inside as when packaged.

And the spiced peanut bags you cite hopefully (with severe peanut allergy seeming becoming more common) also fully seal in the contents.

Grove bags work outstanding for me but I only use the Velvet Soft Touch bags now as their seal is great. The “normal” ones don’t seal as well and should probably be heat sealed.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on my opinion as I only have about a half dozen or so grows under my belt and have not used mason jars. That being said, I have used Grove bags since the first grow and I have no complaints. I had a run that I probably hung a day too long. It did take like two days or so to bring RH back to 60% with increased humidity in closet with Boost 62.

This is the exact reason I have been questioning myself about getting the bags. HIGHLY reputable growers, such as MOG have said that they have noticed a positive difference while using grove bags, but then spend five minutes on thcfarmer or reddit and everyone is slinging shit at them. I think I'll probably just go with the grove bags, but if I'm up for it I may run an experiment, bagging half my harvest with grove bags, and the other half in mason jars.
The people that are saying derogatory things about Grove bags have no clue what they're talking about! That's just plain and simple!
I've been using them over two years and they work outstandingly!

Give me another 6 weeks and I'll let you know. I put my last harvest (109g) straight in there. I decided to skip burping completely based on my research.

It sure would be a game changer if these cut out the Burping regimen.
You really only have to burp them if you put them in the bags with too high high percentage moisture.

Grove bags can't increase RH, period, at least not if ambient RH is lower than in the bag. If RH goes up, it is moisture from the inner parts of the buds and stems. Bud will dry out if left in Groves for a long time when ambient RH is low.

There is no doubt that Grove bags can cure without burping. Whether that is because they are effective because of special design of the plastic envelope, or whether they are simply relabeled food storage/marketing bags is the question in my mind. The bags that my spiced peanuts, and numerous other products, come in appear identical in weight and construction.

One of these days I might do some testing to compare behaviour of Groves with standard food storage envelopes, but that project has not made it to the top of the list yet.

Bottom line, they work. Whether the price is remotely justified is another matter. :pighug:
My understanding is that food-grade storage bags can be designed to achieve different humidity levels, by using material with different permeabilities/pore-sizes.

For example, I buy freeze-dried chicken bits for my dog that come in a humidity controlled bag that looks exactly like a Grove bag. I compared both and found that my bud stayed at around 60% in the Grove, but dropped to around 50% in the other.

My understanding is that food-grade storage bags can be designed to achieve different humidity levels, by using material with different permeabilities/pore-sizes.

For example, I buy freeze-dried chicken bits for my dog that come in a humidity controlled bag that looks exactly like a Grove bag. I compared both and found that my bud stayed at around 60% in the Grove, but dropped to around 50% in the other.
That is consistent with the information I have. It does not explain the spectacular difference in price, however.

In any case, Groves don't limit dropping RH inside to 62%. In lower ambient RH, bud will continue to dry out, at least that has been my experience. One of these days, I am going to graph the dropping rh to see if the slope even changes much at 62%, but that project hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. I would not be surprised at all if the drop in RH is linear, and the main reason the bags work is that they are permeable to oxygen.

All just brain farting by me so far though. :pighug:

Presuming Grove developed and manufactures the bags themselves, that is a major technological feat and capital expense. I presume these bags use a custom-designed layering of laminated plastic sheeting.

Presuming similarity to the single-use/disposable bags used for biopharmaceutical manufacturing (having largely replaced steel bioreactors and other rigid containers), these generally have a highly inert inner (in contact with the product) layer, a layer of plastic to stop O2 and control other gas diffusion, a layer added for strength/the main support, an outer layer of robust handling-resistant plastic; plus often adhesive and 'tie' layers of other plastics to hold the layers together, where not heat fused together. The room-sized machines, looking like commercial printing presses, used to make such laminants generally cost 10s of $millions.

So whether Grove, a parent company or a hired contractor makes the bags, the laminated plastic used will be relatively costly at the definitely low volume (in commercial context) that Grove is using.

Last edited:
Back