Double grape day 67… plant dying? Should I harvest early-ish to avoid any problems?

Reaction score
First timer here, growing double grape and fog dog side by side. Double grape has really yellowed up over past 2-3 weeks, and I’ve posted on Reddit a couple times but haven’t really gotten much insight.

Short question is, plant seems to be dying - leaves are either yellowing or completely crisping up and falling off. Plant doesn’t seem to be drinking much if at all past 2 days either (still heavy heavy pot after last big watering whereas fog dog is nearly dry already)

I don’t see any Amber yet, to me they look mostly cloudy.

im wondering if I should go ahead and just chop this afternoon before the lights come back on to prevent the “death” from affecting the sugar leaves and or buds?

Hesitant to do anything for fear of screwing up first grow ever, don’t want to harvest too early and get a low grade/low yield result, but don’t want to risk any serious issues by letting it go too long.

What would you do in this situation?

Pic after getting most of dead leaves off

Pictures from 2 days ago

Looks like it was over fed and is now showing signs of lockout and nutrient burn.

Not much you can do at this stage. It might ripen a little more if you give a week or two of straight water, or it might be too late for any additional growth or ripening. Either way you can salvage a crop, but the smoke is probably gonna be pretty harsh even after a proper cure.

Double Grape is not a super heavy feeder. It does well with a nutrient EC between 1-1.5. You can push her in really good grow environments, but any environmental stress is going to limit your potential.

Thanks man. Yeah wondering if over fed (fed almost nothing during veg state, but did start tiger bloom during flowering and got up to about 3/4 strength every other). Def think there’s some lockout, realized too late that although I’m PHing water to 6.5, the runoff was like 6.0 (so probably should have been PHing closer to 7 to balance out?)

Bummer to hear it might be harsh too (was thinking just not “optimal” potency) but it is what it is, first grow always was gonna be a learning experiment.

Definitely letting her tent-buddy Fog Dog go another week or two, but keep going back and forth on this guy. Leaning towards just giving it the chop this evening as every day I’m getting more shriveled leaves and haven’t seen much if any bud growth over past few days.

Thanks man. Yeah wondering if over fed (fed almost nothing during veg state, but did start tiger bloom during flowering and got up to about 3/4 strength every other). Def think there’s some lockout, realized too late that although I’m PHing water to 6.5, the runoff was like 6.0 (so probably should have been PHing closer to 7 to balance out?)

Bummer to hear it might be harsh too (was thinking just not “optimal” potency) but it is what it is, first grow always was gonna be a learning experiment.

Definitely letting her tent-buddy Fog Dog go another week or two, but keep going back and forth on this guy. Leaning towards just giving it the chop this evening as every day I’m getting more shriveled leaves and haven’t seen much if any bud growth over past few days.
I doubt she will be harsh just from that personally, dry and cure are going to be way bigger factors in that. I've harvested plants that looked way way worse and the smoke was still smooth, flavorful, and potent. Personally I'd let her ride out till she's where you want her to be. DG has a pretty short lifespan iirc so while you may have had nute issues, you also may be seeing end of life fade as well. If she's not drinking and bud growth has slowed considerably those would lead me to believe that she's entered a final ripening phase and will be ready fairly soon.

After taking a closer look at the pics, the sugar leaves still look pretty healthy to me. I would say this is normal fade imo and you should be ok to let her ripen till you're happy with the trichs. I will say, a USB microscope is 1000% worth it and tbh you can get a decent one for $20 or less off Amazon. May not be crystal clear high def images but it'll be way easier to tell what you're looking at than with a loup. I wouldn't give her anything but plain PH'ed water from here out, and she looks like she may be a wee but waterlogged based on the remaining fans, but nothing too crazy! Tiger bloom has a stupid low ph, so depending on when you started checking that the low ph feeds could have also thrown things out of balance. I started with FF and it literally caused me nothing but headaches. I got decent yields, even with being a newbie, but definitely wasn't growing my plants to their full potential.

Suki is probably right, I was a bit too doom and gloom. Feed very lightly with runoff for 1-2 weeks to finish her up and it should be decent smoke once cured.

With the stunt plus recovery I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t take close to 80 days to finish from that point. For some context, I just finished a round of DG, 3 plants that I harvested one each @ 78, 80 and 82 days. All were quite large so took a little longer to finish but had 20-30% amber trichs at chop.

It was my second round of DG. The plants were much smaller on my first run which I trained less and fed lighter, but they all finished between day 70-75.

Good luck!

Back