Reaction score
Hey guys, new auto grower here, ive spent some good money on Mephisto genetics and now i need help choosing a light. ill be growing in a tent inside a closet due to landlord issues (older couple, not down with the pot, persay.) The space I have to work with is big enough to fit a 4x2x5 tent. ive spent the last few days going over posts on this forum, watching countless reviews (all of which seem sort of biased), and spent a couple hours doing the math on the better buy, dollars per watt and so forth and ive wrecked my brain.. So far i have come to the conclusion that blurple lights are somewhat outdated if you want any sort of decent yield. Ive also come down to the conclusion that i would like to run some sort of cob setup in my tent from the way ive seen others yields turn out. the two sites ive narrowed it down to are cobshop and opticleds.

Even though its not important from a recreational standpoint i want to maximize yield from the strains ive chosen just to see the potential of my limited space. I plan on running 2-3 autos in 3.5-5 gallon pots using organic soil as a base and using megacrop, cal mag and some terp boosters ive come to love. I also want to LST and tuck leaves to make sure my light is getting to important spots. That being said im stuck between getting 2 autocobs to start, giving me roughly 100 true cob watts at a cost of 250. Also looking at the optic 1xl as its also 100 watts and comes in at 240. Cost isnt as much as an issue as coverage is as long as im spending around the 300 mark. There is also the option of using the optic 2 which uses 205 watts if both channels are enabled (does anyone think that running both veg and bloom spectrums during the entire life cycle is a bad idea?). Im done trying to make this decision on my own lol. If you guys could lead me in the right direction as far as how much light i would need to get a fairly decent yield from my 4x2x5 and what the most cost effective way of going about it is. P:S i really want to stray from using HPS and MH in my grows, ive always been sketched out about my house burning down. Also if anyone has any other suggestions on lights to buy around the $300 range that would achieve the same if not better results than cobshop and optic lemme know. Please and thank you in advance.

You could always build your own cob light for that, or look for a kit that requires assembly. @MarshydroTina has awesome lights that many people on the forum use. @BigSm0 also has amazing lights. Just depends on what your overall goal is.

I've spent lots of money upgrading from light to light. I've used 1st gen marshydro panels and DIY cobs with nothing but great success minimal tools and little know how. Good luck on your decision bro

You could always build your own cob light for that, or look for a kit that requires assembly. @MarshydroTina has awesome lights that many people on the forum use. @BigSm0 also has amazing lights. Just depends on what your overall goal is.

I've spent lots of money upgrading from light to light. I've used 1st gen marshydro panels and DIY cobs with nothing but great success minimal tools and little know how. Good luck on your decision bro
thanks man i appreciate it! i like the idea of trying to build my own light, i just dont know if i trust myself with electrical circuits and soldering lmao, if i wasnt renting id feel a little more confident. would you happen to have an opinion on if a 100 watt cob or two 60's is enough for 2-3 plants to achieve a few ounces a plant?

I have two tents, I use two Optic 1 54 W 3500k COBs, for my flower tent which is quite small 2ft x 2ft x 4ft for two plants max. One per plant with excellent results. At times I have to do extensive training with some strains and is a bit strong for such a small tent, but extra light is not a bad thing. My veg tent is the same setup, same lights and tent size, I did not find using Optic 1 5000k for veg increased yields or growth, they are the same price, I use the 3500k throughout the whole grow. When one is finished I move another one in. I started way back using MH for veg and HPS for flower, I found maintaining the garden was a hassle, moved to MarsHydro, with medium success, then finally to COBs in my current garden with way better results. I grow for personal use as a hobby, I find having two tents let’s me concentrate on individual plant stage of growth, I only grow auto flower strains. Good luck on the new venture, just my two cents.

I have two tents, I use two Optic 1 54 W 3500k COBs, for my flower tent which is quite small 2ft x 2ft x 4ft for two plants max. One per plant with excellent results. At times I have to do extensive training with some strains and is a bit strong for such a small tent, but extra light is not a bad thing. My veg tent is the same setup, same lights and tent size, I did not find using Optic 1 5000k for veg increased yields or growth, they are the same price, I use the 3500k throughout the whole grow. When one is finished I move another one in. I started way back using MH for veg and HPS for flower, I found maintaining the garden was a hassle, moved to MarsHydro, with medium success, then finally to COBs in my current garden with way better results. I grow for personal use as a hobby, I find having two tents let’s me concentrate on individual plant stage of growth, I only grow auto flower strains. Good luck on the new venture, just my two cents.
thanks so much for the input, youre strengthening my faith in the smaller watt lights. i was getting nervous thinking i would need atleast 200watts to get anything substantial. when you grow in your 4ft tall tent do you ever run into problems with leaf bleaching or curled tips from the light being too close? i was looking at the recommended space between the plants and lights and trying to figure out if i would have enough room in a 4 footer. The 5ft tent is a tight fit for me is why im asking. i bought strains of the taller variety and i assume im gonna have to LST like a madman

thanks so much for the input, youre strengthening my faith in the smaller watt lights. i was getting nervous thinking i would need atleast 200watts to get anything substantial. when you grow in your 4ft tall tent do you ever run into problems with leaf bleaching or curled tips from the light being too close? i was looking at the recommended space between the plants and lights and trying to figure out if i would have enough room in a 4 footer. The 5ft tent is a tight fit for me is why im asking. i bought strains of the taller variety and i assume im gonna have to LST like a madman
One tip is to change to the 120 degree lens from the standard 90. The 90 produces a spot light effect, the 120 spreads the light out thus enabling plants to be closer, and to get around light burn. It still occasionally happens but not with great loss in yield. Yes, training is another important key, keeping the plants between 2 to 2.5ft max, it takes patience in your training techniques but it can be done. Another tip, try indica strains they are genetically short stature plants. This is just my own personal experience with growing nothing is wrote in stone.

One tip is to change to the 120 degree lens from the standard 90. The 90 produces a spot light effect, the 120 spreads the light out thus enabling plants to be closer, and to get around light burn. It still occasionally happens but not with great loss in yield. Yes, training is another important key, keeping the plants between 2 to 2.5ft max, it takes patience in your training techniques but it can be done. Another tip, try indica strains they are genetically short stature plants. This is just my own personal experience with growing nothing is wrote in stone.
I wanted to add I have the lights at the very top of the tents and never move them up or down and let the plants grow up to them.

thanks for the tips man theyll be put to great use. i kinda just jumped in with both feet and bought the dankest looking/highest yielding strains i could get without planning much else haha now im fighting my way out of the corner the hard way. i can feel its gonna be a good 1st grow though. The auto learning curve is real!

thanks for the tips man theyll be put to great use. i kinda just jumped in with both feet and bought the dankest looking/highest yielding strains i could get without planning much else haha now im fighting my way out of the corner the hard way. i can feel its gonna be a good 1st grow though. The auto learning curve is real!
No problem good luck !

Best advice I can give is start a journal when u do start in the Breeder section u chose. Great way to keep track of what you’re doing and others can see if something is off they’ll help out especially if u express your a new grower. I see u chose mephisto (great choice) I have some experience with them and their section they have many great growers that love to help new growers. Also great advice by @Cali-Dream

Back