New Grower OS Purple Haze & BCN CriticalXXL COB LED Organic Grow

Reaction score
Hi All!

Just want to start by saying thanks for any and all support I may receive. Great that forums like this exist so we can help each out. Hopefully one day I'll be able to dish out some advice too!

So....
I'll start with the setup;
4x2x6 tent.
2 x 120 watt CFL's for seedlings.
2 x 100 watt (wall draw) Optic 1XL COB LED's.
(I'll probably swap out veg cfl's to 2700k's while flowering for additional side lighting).
5 gallon smart pots with CANNA terra profesional soil mix.
Nutes: CANNA Bio Vega, Bio Flores and Bio Boost.
Vent: AC Infinity Cloudline t6 with thermal controller
(thing is overkill, but when run low I genuinely can't even hear it, even with the tent open!)
Vivosun 6" Carbon filter, its huge, but it fits!
I've also added a humidifier as its damn dry down there!
Temps are at about 12c in the basement, and cfl's can't warm it up enough, so added a greenhouse heat bar, raises temps about 8c and no danger as with heater fans etc. Think its just 60watts.

setup.jpg

Here's the complete setup. I've put the pots on these wire mesh baskets turned upside down. Seem to remember reading somewhere that it can be worthwhile keeping them up and out of their run off, correct me if I'm wrong to think so! Also keeps them off the concrete floor which is rather chilly.

fan and cobs.jpg

My Inline fan set up and the two COBS. These things might be expensive but they look damn awesome! The light intensity its bounds and leaps ahead of the CFL's. When they're on, opening the tent is like stepping out onto a sun deck!

Ive also attached silenced ducting. That coupled with the filter is probably why the fan isn't audible, whatsoever!

I already popped my seeds, so following up with another post on that right now. Get this ball rolling!!

Nice set up, should do you good! Pots on mesh works. I use the greenhouse heaters too , works a treat.
Hi All!

Just want to start by saying thanks for any and all support I may receive. Great that forums like this exist so we can help each out. Hopefully one day I'll be able to dish out some advice too!

So....
I'll start with the setup;
4x2x6 tent.
2 x 120 watt CFL's for seedlings.
2 x 100 watt (wall draw) Optic 1XL COB LED's.
(I'll probably swap out veg cfl's to 2700k's while flowering for additional side lighting).
5 gallon smart pots with CANNA terra profesional soil mix.
Nutes: CANNA Bio Vega, Bio Flores and Bio Boost.
Vent: AC Infinity Cloudline t6 with thermal controller
(thing is overkill, but when run low I genuinely can't even hear it, even with the tent open!)
Vivosun 6" Carbon filter, its huge, but it fits!
I've also added a humidifier as its damn dry down there!
Temps are at about 12c in the basement, and cfl's can't warm it up enough, so added a greenhouse heat bar, raises temps about 8c and no danger as with heater fans etc. Think its just 60watts.

View attachment 948996

Here's the complete setup. I've put the pots on these wire mesh baskets turned upside down. Seem to remember reading somewhere that it can be worthwhile keeping them up and out of their run off, correct me if I'm wrong to think so! Also keeps them off the concrete floor which is rather chilly.

View attachment 948997

My Inline fan set up and the two COBS. These things might be expensive but they look damn awesome! The light intensity its bounds and leaps ahead of the CFL's. When they're on, opening the tent is like stepping out onto a sun deck!

Ive also attached silenced ducting. That coupled with the filter is probably why the fan isn't audible, whatsoever!

I already popped my seeds, so following up with another post on that right now. Get this ball rolling!!

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Alright....
So seeds arrived on Monday, spent two weeks at the airport in the UK, had me rather nervous! Tracking was hopeless as they just seemingly arrived instantly.
Didn't have the balls to call up and enquire! Had to just bide my time.

Was good to go with my setup a month ago, had some old (2.5 year old) seeds from a previous endeavor, but all failed to sprout :(
Whatever the case, I'm rolling on now!

I sprouted one seed of Original Sensible Purple Haze, and another of Seed Stockers BCN Critical XXL.
Both soaked in filtered water for 30ish hours, damn cold here at the moment and house is too big to heat all the time.
Put a little seedling heat mat in the draw with them, kept temps around 18c average.
Out of the soak and into paper towels between two plates, just used same water they were soaked in to moisten and kept them in the same draw (same temps)
Less than 20 hours and taproots visible.

While I was doing this, I also had a little compost tea brewing. Just 2 litres with filtered water. Going with a super simple recipe of just unsulphured black strap molasses (10ml) with 1/4 cup organic compost (store bought). Wish I could make my own compost but don't have the space or time sadly. Can't say the options here in OZ are great for compost's, but hopefully it won't hurt!
After 42 hours the smell had changed quite a lot. BSM was clearly the dominant smell at the beginning, that turned to an earthy mushroomie kinda smell.
Gave the soil 500mls per pot followed by 2 litres PH'D filtered aerated water per pot. Unfortunately I think this is where I've made my first mistake. I now believe I should of given the 5gal pots a lot more water for the pre soak. Just to make it worse, the soil has been sitting in the pots for about 3 weeks as I was trying to sprout dead seeds :(
Hopefully it will be ok, otherise I may have to give them a soak? Possibly if I water around the edges It wont drown the seedling? Being smart pots I could always dunk them in a bigger pot of water for 5 mins? Thoughts would be appreciated on this one....

So, planted the seeds Wednesday, next day they're breaking through the top. Seems good to me!
Cut up two wide 2 litre bottles for a little humidity dome action.
This morning (its my friday now), I've removed the domes to prevent any dampening off, I could also be going wrong here, should I leave the domes on longer?

Average temps are around lows of 17c to highs of 24c. RH at about 70% average.

unnamed.jpg

As you can see, being a bit cautious with the CFL's as theyve just popped up. Probably tomorrow or day after I will bring them right down, 10cm above or so.
Any advice here would be great!

Here's the BCN Critical. Husk was a little stuck so carefully slid it off. Photo taken right after which is why I think the leaves are a little strangely positioned.

bcn sprout.jpg

And here's the purple haze

haze sprout.jpg

Any help on my above questions would be ace! Appreciate it guys!

Nice set up, should do you good! Pots on mesh works. I use the greenhouse heaters too , works a treat.

Was running a ceramic heater blowing at one of the vents, had me way too nervous! Never mind the power consumption, heated the whole room!
These bars do the trick! I may possibly slide in my seedling mat to raise temps a bit more. Average high of 24c so I think I'll be alright.

Was running a ceramic heater blowing at one of the vents, had me way too nervous! Never mind the power consumption, heated the whole room!
These bars do the trick! I may possibly slide in my seedling mat to raise temps a bit more. Average high of 24c so I think I'll be alright.
I use a reptile mat too have them both on a thermostat and never worry.

I use a reptile mat too have them both on a thermostat and never worry.

Nice. Bought a powerline thermostat that the blower heater would run through, supposedly it would turn it off when it reached a certain temperature. The thermo was all over the place, took a reading next to it and it was just way off. Cost me $30 too!! :/
Temps seems steady right now with the cfl's and heat bar on all the time so don't think I'll be needing it. Fingers crossed!

shooty.gif
Looking good and you off to a good start.
Dont let hecno hear you saying oz is no good for organic
Good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

A little worried about the dryness but hopefully things stay on track!
I have struggled to find good compost where i am, but only been here for a month. Bunnings is the go to in oz and the options seem to gettting even more limited over time. They used to sell good worm castings for instance, all but disappeared from the shelves! If i do come across hecno maybe he can give some pointers in the right direction :)

Hey guys [emoji112]

Been away a few days and got back last night.
The website was actually down for me so couldn’t post up.
Was a little worried about going away while they are so young, but took the appropriate measures and all seems good.
Only thing is the leaves are a little pale.... almost some blemishes....

BCN
ab0804dff540affacd5532d76ff43f40.jpg

Haze
a71deed42da69d98f9890fd669f1d878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back