PLEASE, help me build a No-Till mix

Update

About a month and a half or so ago my mix finally got below 7.0 pH and I was able to lower the fungus gnat count. Damn bugs are like roaches.

Haven’t begun using it as Notill yet but it has worked great as a normal water-only soil for veg and a few grow pals who I gave some to were able to get their plants up to half of flower (photoperiods) without anything else but water and got them until harvest successfully healthy by top dressing with EWC.

Can’t share pics from my friends’ grows using it, but I’ll be sharing mine in the weeks to come when I will be using the mix to get some clones into flower and pollinate them. Hope it works as well as it did for them, and if not no biggie since these are test trials and the more I err the more I learn. While I controled the fungus gnat problem and waited For the pH to get in better range, I did use it with some clones which helped me learn a lot about its water retaining capabilities.

So, In the mean time, here is a clone-new-mum that has been in it for over a month in an aprox 800ml container and got transplanted into a 1 gal container this weekend. the yellow parts were from a very traumatic transplanting after it rooted, but ever since it has been green all over. Not really true picture testimony of how well the mix is working though since I’m using very low DLI (enough to keep it in veg and alive), but my friends did use the mix with DLIs of 30-45 and their plants were also very healthygreen. I will be increasing DLI once I get better a ventilation system for my new 2x2 veg tent, and for the flowering tent I will increase to a DLI of at least 30 to get some pollen from the previous mum (which is in coco) and pollinate the other clones which will be also transplanted into this mix.

2B953A6A-A0D1-4C00-98C9-D84DA5FBA0D9.jpeg
199802FD-AF65-43B6-AA16-5CDCDABF05C6.jpeg
B5DDD8A1-1F24-471B-B50E-F12AFD44772E.jpeg
9AF470CA-12D5-4CA5-8479-B1AA844AF31C.jpeg
41D43FCD-82F2-497C-8191-B0556957CD79.jpeg
EAB291E7-2880-4544-9DE4-45EDDB56092C.jpeg
1A1BFCDB-4F15-4D89-9066-150A9C83A09A.jpeg
901AED8B-B615-4720-B815-1250F4DA2720.jpeg

Last edited:
There are so many ways to get to where you want to be.
Closing the loop is the whole idea IMHO.
I collect & grind up so much garbage lol. People laugh, but I could bag it all pretty like, sell it to them, & they’d be back to buy it over & over again. It’s so much damn fun once you grasp the concept.

New mum is doing well, as well as her three sister clones. BTW, she is in a 3 gal fabric pot, not 1 gal... little typo there, which I could edit on time. Also, I had to use a way less powerful light for her (9 watts nightstand lamp) while I get a propper ventilation system for the tent she is in andbe able to use the Autocob propperly in there. The revegged mum from which she was taken is now dead (too neglected). I planned to use that reveged mum to get some pollen, so now I took one of the three clones to replace her and got it into 100% of my mix in a 3 gal and it will now inhabit the main/flower tent. It was tansplanted yesterday so I'll give it a couple of day before I begin the reversal process. And one of the three sister clones has been taken by a friend to be grown in coco in his mini grow cabinet. Both new mum and soon-to-be-reversed clone were topped yesterday.

To sum up, now i just have the new mum (in my mix in 3 gal fabrix pot and under a 9 watts bulb) accompanied by a sister clone (in seedling mix) for backup, both in the new 2x2 tent with a revegging Rasperry Diesel ; and in the old 2x2 tent a sister clone that will be used to get some pollen (she was transplanted this weekend into my mix in 3 gal fabric pot, but under a fullspec 6-120watt quantum board type lamp).

Some pics from nov 18 (new mum and three sister clones):
20211118_165103.jpg

20211118_165126.jpg

And a bunch of pics from this weeekend - nov 28 (new mum, 2 sisters clones, 1 revegging Rasperry Diesel)...

new mum and two clone sisters
20211128_115809.jpg

20211128_115738.jpg

new mum before and after topping, and reveggin RD
20211128_131244.jpg
20211128_131236.jpg
20211128_131441.jpg

topped nee mum, revegged RD and backup clone sister:
20211128_133342.jpg

soon-to-be-reversed sister clone transplanted and topped:
20211128_131457.jpg
20211128_131502.jpg
20211128_131540.jpg
20211128_133417.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, what did you soil mix end up being? I would think since you have peat and coco(?), you should be able to drop the ph pretty easy. Sound like I’m wrong though

Also for nats I feel like anything strong can stop them. Hot/spicy, bitter, sour etc. Just a guess, never tested any of it but it may be worth testing if you don’t have access to much. After top dressing whatever, cover the soil so they stop messing around.

If you can get neem seed meal, seen reviews on amazon recently where people are saying it cured incurable problem for them. I have neem leaf powder that they seem to not like at all.

maybe try bottom feeding so top of soil can be dry

I’m not an expert, just some ideas probably not worth the time they took to read. My bad

Last edited:
Hi, what did you soil mix end up being? I would think since you have peat and coco(?), you should be able to drop the ph pretty easy. Sound like I’m wrong though

Also for nats I feel like anything strong can stop them. Hot/spicy, bitter, sour etc. Just a guess, never tested any of it but it may be worth testing if you don’t have access to much. After top dressing whatever, cover the soil so they stop messing around.

If you can get neem seed meal, seen reviews on amazon recently where people are saying it cured incurable problem for them. I have neem leaf powder that they seem to not like at all.

maybe try bottom feeding so top of soil can be dry

I’m not an expert, just some ideas probably not worth the time they took to read. My bad

Hey...thanks for passing by!

The soil ended up being:
40% peat moss (blonde, not sphagnum)
10% rice hulls
20% pumice
30% EWC.
1 cup per cuf - gypsum
1 cup per cuf - agricultural lime
1/2 cup per cuf - sea weed powder
2 cups per cuf - rock phosphate dust
1 cup per cuf - Malted barley powder
1 cup per cuf - organic fertilizer
made from different organic and mineral sources and containing several beneficial organisms (total N: 2%, total P: 1.70%, total K: 3.1%, total Mg: 0.97%, total Ca: 3.04%)

Adding a bit more peat and EWC helped lower pH but it took a few months to get below 7.0.

And yeah, i can't get neem seed meal here, still trying to find a good retailer of it. I thought it was only neem seed that worked, wil try to see if i can get some neem leaves to try out. BTi and sticky traps and electric raquet have helped lower gnat numbers.

Thansk for the input!

That sounds really high for that much peat, how are you testing it and what is the ph of you peat by itself?

also the lime, just noticed, I think without the lime or less lime, ph will drop.

how much soil gallons or whatever is that total? Without knowing, the cups of this and that are kinda hard to say anything about

the few months to lower can partly be the lime ‘expiring’, and getting washed out also.

That sounds really high for that much peat, how are you testing it and what is the ph of you peat by itself?

also the lime, just noticed, I think without the lime or less lime, ph will drop.

how much soil gallons or whatever is that total? Without knowing, the cups of this and that are kinda hard to say anything about

the few months to lower can partly be the lime ‘expiring’, and getting washed out also.

I'm using an Apera ph60 for slurry tests and a Hannah soild pH meter for direct soil measurements. Can't recall the pH of the peat but i'm sure it was bellow 5.0.

It was in total 15 galons. I assumed it was the rock dust whcih i miscalculated. Next mix wont be the same though. just using this one to see how bad it turns out having had the pH off and not finding all the ingredients i wanted.

My bad, you say per cubic foot. I'm spaced out. Sounds like your ph readings are accurate, good tools and methods.

Either way, seems like a ton of lime to me. I am not to knowledgeable on the other stuff (or anything), but if you can add more soil mix without any lime, I think it would help a lot. Imo ideally 1/4 current - nearly 0 lime. I've seen a lot of people suggesting to use so much lime, I just don't think it's good.

Could be the rock dust, I never add much since expensive and I assume it's only for micros, so not much is needed and never tested it's effect on ph. I also use glacier rock dust which may be different. Just did a quick look into your rock dust and it says it need 5.5 ph or lower to be effective.

My current soil mix has lime (it's premix plus what I mixed in, so I have no idea how much lime and I added a cup-half cup to 40 gallons), but I think I wont be using it anymore (sprinkle only for micros nutes), just because to much affect on ph and I don't know how long it last but I believe maybe just 1 grow, give or take. I want as stable as possible ph, just off soil mix base ingredients (anything ~10% or more of mix). Any additives after that, just for ~feeding soil, hopefully very little effect on ph.

The lime is the only thing that stands out to me but I am not even 'novice' gardener. Imo, lime is best used for micros, so not much needs to be used.

I use gypsum too, same as lime, just sprinkle, 1cup -1/2 per 40 gallons. Again, just because I think it adds some micros.

I guess you may already be thinking this but if not, make sure ph is perfect before planting anything.

Note: I have only brought 1 plant to harvest using what I say above, but all seems well and more plants getting close to harvest with it. All cannabis grows before were hydro.

Lastly, what you could do in with the plants in high ph soil MAYBE, is to use something to lower the ph of the water you water the plants with. It could help, maybe not. From my experience soil is very diffulcult to change the ph of with this method, so it's a last resort, if it even is a resort.

Last edited:
Back