1st try in coco- fail.2nd try - light mix, jiffy pellets?

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Coco was too advanced for me. Bit too big of a chunk and had to wave goodbye to my first grow. Decided its not worth it, as she was so small at over 1 month, i had ph wrong, 5gal pot with low drainage and everything was a mess from start.. :rolleyes1::sad:

I've decided to trybiobizz Light mix as thats really popular for autoflower im gonna be growing. Got somepowder Myccorhiza to try and add to it.
Just watering with water shud be fine for how long?
What PH?

Also any experience with jiffy pellets?

Thought it would be less invasive as autos dont like repotting. I know they should be planted in perm pots but i wanna try to grow it solo first, i saw many ppl do so succesfuly! Just not much info on jiffy.

So cup or jiffy?

What light distance would you recommend from seed to seedling for Mars hydro 600w Led. Its all i got, no bulbs.

So many questions sorry lol.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi guys.
Coco was too advanced for me. Bit too big of a chunk and had to wave goodbye to my first grow. Decided its not worth it, as she was so small at over 1 month, i had ph wrong, 5gal pot with low drainage and everything was a mess from start.. :rolleyes1::sad:

I've decided to trybiobizz Light mix as thats really popular for autoflower im gonna be growing. Got somepowder Myccorhiza to try and add to it.
Just watering with water shud be fine for how long?
What PH?

Also any experience with jiffy pellets?

Thought it would be less invasive as autos dont like repotting. I know they should be planted in perm pots but i wanna try to grow it solo first, i saw many ppl do so succesfuly! Just not much info on jiffy.

So cup or jiffy?

What light distance would you recommend from seed to seedling for Mars hydro 600w Led. Its all i got, no bulbs.

So many questions sorry lol.

Thanks!
Really sorry to hear about round 1, that definitely sucks. I can't help with the soil you want to try, but expect that you will still need to watch your pH and nute concentrations. A pH meter and EC meter will be helpful regardless of whether you go for the new soil setup or stick with coco.

As to the jiffy pellets or cups, I have used both, and they both work fine. Others on here have said that they do not like the pH of the pellets, but I never saw any issue there. The last time around, I planted the germinated seeds into 4" plastic pots made into insta-transplant pots, but quite honestly, I don't think the plants did any better than they would if I had just started them in jiffys and planted the jiffys into the final pots once the tap root showed up. When I first used the jiffys, I cut the bottom of the mesh off to allow easier root emergence, but when I checked root formation after harvest, concluded that doing that was a waste of time. Roots penetrated the mesh and grew just fine without noticeable constriction. The gurus on CocoforCannabis like the jiffy's as well, and they know what they are doing.

The advantages of the jiffy's are that the small size allows you to more easily control temperature, they are less likely to get overwatered than a larger initial container, and they allow lots of oxygen to the developing roots. The newly germinated plant likes to be warm, as in ~25-30C to get the quickest start in life. Getting your final pots up to temp before moving seedlings into them is a good plan.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Also
Really sorry to hear about round 1, that definitely sucks. I can't help with the soil you want to try, but expect that you will still need to watch your pH and nute concentrations. A pH meter and EC meter will be helpful regardless of whether you go for the new soil setup or stick with coco.

As to the jiffy pellets or cups, I have used both, and they both work fine. Others on here have said that they do not like the pH of the pellets, but I never saw any issue there. The last time around, I planted the germinated seeds into 4" plastic pots made into insta-transplant pots, but quite honestly, I don't think the plants did any better than they would if I had just started them in jiffys and planted the jiffys into the final pots once the tap root showed up. When I first used the jiffys, I cut the bottom of the mesh off to allow easier root emergence, but when I checked root formation after harvest, concluded that doing that was a waste of time. Roots penetrated the mesh and grew just fine without noticeable constriction. The gurus on CocoforCannabis like the jiffy's as well, and they know what they are doing.

The advantages of the jiffy's are that the small size allows you to more easily control temperature, they are less likely to get overwatered than a larger initial container, and they allow lots of oxygen to the developing roots. The newly germinated plant likes to be warm, as in ~25-30C to get the quickest start in life. Getting your final pots up to temp before moving seedlings into them is a good plan.

Good luck with it. :pighug:
Thank you so much!!! Couldn't hope for better answer. I will give the jiffys a go then, they seem promising! I do wanna control the growth on smaller scale for sure.
I am gonna be watching my PPM and Ph like a hawk with correct tools this time round!

Reactions: EP3
Also

Thank you so much!!! Couldn't hope for better answer. I will give the jiffys a go then, they seem promising! I do wanna control the growth on smaller scale for sure.
I am gonna be watching my PPM and Ph like a hawk with correct tools this time round!

You should do fine the second time around. The Jiffys work fine, so you do not need to worry about them. Watch your temperatures, especially early on while the babes are getting started. IMO, you want to keep it at least 25C initially to kickstart things. I germinate at ~30C and keep it above 25C after plants are growing happily.

As to the soil mix and nutes, your best bet is to find a successful grow on here using what you will be using, and duplicate or at least approximate accordingly. Grow#2 is not the time to try to re-invent the wheel. :biggrin::goodluck:

You should do fine the second time around. The Jiffys work fine, so you do not need to worry about them. Watch your temperatures, especially early on while the babes are getting started. IMO, you want to keep it at least 25C initially to kickstart things. I germinate at ~30C and keep it above 25C after plants are growing happily.

As to the soil mix and nutes, your best bet is to find a successful grow on here using what you will be using, and duplicate or at least approximate accordingly. Grow#2 is not the time to try to re-invent the wheel. :biggrin::goodluck:
Haha thank you!

Temps above 25 c are easy as its summer.
The light distance tho? For 600w led thats rly output of100. 25inches or more from seedling?

Tbh i overpanic quite easy, which is not good for me or the plant Lol
So I'd prefer medium with little bit of nutes in it, so i dont have to worry in the first few weeks, that's why i decided on light mix.
Im definitely wiser this time round and done more research :rofl:

Reactions: EP3
Hey there, I've only done a couple grows myself but I've been using jiffy pellets and BB LightMix with good success.

If you have the jiffy pellets dome/starter kit, I like to set the whole case on my router to keep it warm. Things sprout quickly.

LightMix runs around 6.3 for pH, water right around there and pH your nute blends in the same range and you hould be good. I've been going a bit above in the 6.4-6.7 range on my current grow.

The LightMix has some nutrients in it and you can get probably close to the first 3 weeks on water alone. I do suggest transplanting the jiffy as soon as it breaks above soil and pull the netting off.

Do make certain you have soil nutrients as coco specific stuff may not work well. Good luck!

Hey there, I've only done a couple grows myself but I've been using jiffy pellets and BB LightMix with good success.

If you have the jiffy pellets dome/starter kit, I like to set the whole case on my router to keep it warm. Things sprout quickly.

LightMix runs around 6.3 for pH, water right around there and pH your nute blends in the same range and you hould be good. I've been going a bit above in the 6.4-6.7 range on my current grow.

The LightMix has some nutrients in it and you can get probably close to the first 3 weeks on water alone. I do suggest transplanting the jiffy as soon as it breaks above soil and pull the netting off.

Do make certain you have soil nutrients as coco specific stuff may not work well. Good luck!
thank you so much! sounds very reasurring :) I think i have chosen right method this time. I am using biobizz nutes so i should hopefully be good? Many thanks again :)

ohh that looks interesting :biggrin: ill definitely look into it !
I start all my girls in them then into a solo cup then from there into my main 15 litre pots but if you look around you will see i grow in solo cups 2 litre bottles or anything else that takes my fancy. and this is the age i usually consider repotting them these 3 are 7 days old
20210615_113144.jpg

Back