24 hour lighting

Reaction score
First time growing indoors and I have autos under 24 hours of light but I recently read that isn’t ideal so I’m planning to switch to 18 or 20 but should I switch straight to 18 or gradually decrease

That is a good question and mostly up to you. I would shave off a hour each day until you are at the time you wanted. dark hours give roots time to grow or something like that if I'm keeping it simple. :pass: goodluck!

Welcome to AFN :welcome:

If you have anymore questions fire away :smoking:

This happened in 2 hours when I came home from work the cubes felt dry so I gave them 15ml of water and I came back in to set the timer and it looks like this I guess it was over watered
A358EDA3-BD87-4092-A971-AE9406546AAA.jpeg
4B6112ED-EB8B-4475-BFFB-25BC78B79E4C.jpeg

Maybe, I'm not a rockwool expert but i leave mine sitting in water for days until i see them pop up then i put them in a jar/bucket with the water level almost touching the cube, the clay pebbles wick it up so it stays wet, i don't know what happened to yours.

@Mañ'O'Green what happened here?

That is called damping-off. It is caused by the germination materiel remaining too wet. Rock Wool will wick to 100% moisture content. The roots cannot get any air and drown. Even my 6 inch cubes will do that if the bottom remains in water. I have a special cube holder that is made by GroDan to hold starter cubes up for air flow. I always have one cube in the tray that does not have a seed in it as a control. When it gets light they all get watered including the control that dries out at the same rate as the ones with seeds. I do not want to lift the ones with seeds until I take it out to transplant. The roots are often growing out the bottom and I do not want to disturb them.

name.jpg

That is called damping-off. It is caused by the germination materiel remaining too wet. Rock Wool will wick to 100% moisture content. The roots cannot get any air and drown. Even my 6 inch cubes will do that if the bottom remains in water. I have a special cube holder that is made by GroDan to hold starter cubes up for air flow. I always have one cube in the tray that does not have a seed in it as a control. When it gets light they all get watered including the control that dries out at the same rate as the ones with seeds. I do not want to lift the ones with seeds until I take it out to transplant. The roots are often growing out the bottom and I do not want to disturb them.

View attachment 1359767
Do you water from the top or bottom

Back