A quick question about breeding and seeds

A4

Reaction score
I am no breeder, let me make that very clear up front so everyone understands my stupidity surrounding my question.
A little background info: So I had a few Strawberry Cough(S1 Fem) growing several months ago. About 4 weeks prior to harvest I noticed a few seeds forming on one of the plants. I pulled her out and sure enough, she had a pretty good bit of seeds throughout her. So, I pulled them all out and went through each one like a surgeon and didn't find any sign of hermie at all. No pollen sacks, no nothing. Just seeds. Well, I also had a few Himalaya Blue(S1 Reg) in a tent near them. I did have some males in there but they were very immature and culled them long before pollen was viable, so I thought. So after going through the plants every week looking for more pollen sacs and never finding one no where I assumed the HB pollen must have gotten released in there and cross pollinated. I saved all of the seeds just for curiosities sake more than anything.

So, fast forward a few months and my son is wanting to set up a grow at his house. I loan him a tent, lights, fans, basically everything to get started with one stipulation. he had to grow out 10 of those seeds I had saved first so I can see what they do and have the choice of any male that he had. So, he agreed and started them. That was about 8 weeks ago. I had been asking him about them the last few weeks and he had just put them into 12/12 a couple of weeks ago. So he comes over today with pictures of them all and every last one of them are fem. Not one male in the bunch. I am going to his house tomorrow for a closer inspection but from what I saw there are none. Now, that pretty much cancels out my thoughts on the HB pollinating them, correct? We should have seen at least a couple of males I would have thought? That brings me to my seconds question, how did I end up with seeds? I can't believe it is possible that I couldn't find one sac on those plants and have that many seeds, literally hundreds of seeds and apparently all viable. So what are your thoughts on this? I would appreciate any feedback at all as I am sitting here thinking maybe I have somehow created a ton of Fem Strawberry Cough seeds?

deaply burried nanners , they form/grow on and unfortunately INSIDE the buds and can be very hard to find/see even when breaking up a bud to smoke , not like the sacs/balls that grow on the stems

its nice that the seeds produced are fems , it isnt always the case with hermie pollinations , but if the offspring are also hermie imo the remaining seeds are for the birds

peace :Cool:

Thanks Bob, I thought about pm'ing you with this question but thought it may be better to have it on the forum for everyone to see as well. So it is safe to assume that the trait is being passed along with these seeds we are growing right now or just a possibility? I suppose the only way to know for sure is to allow them to mature and see what happens?

Thanks again.

Almosty forgot......:slap: Thanks for taking the time!

I had 40 for 40 males once....

Thanks Bob, I thought about pm'ing you with this question but thought it may be better to have it on the forum for everyone to see as well. So it is safe to assume that the trait is being passed along with these seeds we are growing right now or just a possibility? I suppose the only way to know for sure is to allow them to mature and see what happens?

Thanks again.

Almosty forgot......:slap: Thanks for taking the time!

the chance of passing on the hermie trait unfortunately if far greater then not passing it on , especially when the hermie pollinates itself

i have in my possesion ONE cross made with hermie pollen that has not shown any hermies in the offspring , however , it was a non hermie prone strain pollenated by a separate hermie of a different strain , hense the only reason ive risked growing any , i was aware the offspring stood at least a small chance of being resistant to the hermie trait

a hermie self pollenating id flush the seeds down the toilet , hell i dont even keep seeds from a female that showed any hermie trait even though the pollenation was done with non hermie pollen , i always closely inspect the plant im harvesting the seeds from

peace :Cool:

Hell yeah bob. Hermies need to die. That hermie flower can pop out put pollen out and fall off dry up whatever pretty fast. And even if you were lucky enough to not get hermie in the 10. You have 90 more to go but also hermie can be from a multitude of stresses too.

Back