Air layering, a way to clone autos?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My own breed
Been reading about air layering tomato plants, and saw that this method also work for cannabis plants.
Can this be a way to take clones from autos as well?

Yes it can, but there is still no point to cloning autoflowering plants. You will never get a good enough root system to support a clone's growth right away, so you are wasting weeks developing roots while the genetics of the plant are making it flower. Stop wondering about cloning these plants, unless you are after low yields and crap bud

Yes it can, but there is still no point to cloning autoflowering plants. You will never get a good enough root system to support a clone's growth right away, so you are wasting weeks developing roots while the genetics of the plant are making it flower. Stop wondering about cloning these plants, unless you are after low yields and crap bud
STS

This was true more than a decade ago. In this day and age, when done right with good genetics, roots can happen in just a few days with minimal downtime. If you take a cut early on or when they just sex, you can grow a massive cola. Or use that cut to produce seed, or to reverse and collect pollen from your favourite plant.

Lots of uses for cloning autos. You just can't revert them to veg to grow out as big as the mother plant.
_

Sts sprayed this branch few days ago will do again for once a week.
Soaked the jiffy peat in concoction of ro, kelp, salycilic, chitin, iba powder, yucca extract.
Covered it in breathable weed barrier.
Lets see what happens.
20200502_001852.jpg
20200502_001647.jpg
20200502_000939.jpg
20200501_235204.jpg

Ive been pondering air cloning an auto since i first started cloning them years ago. Tonight i took cuts of double grape ,gg4,lemon ak ,zkittles ,grapefruit zkittles and squanch24 for a lil seed run w different studs on the same lady.

Ive been pondering air cloning an auto since i first started cloning them years ago. Tonight i took cuts of double grape ,gg4,lemon ak ,zkittles ,grapefruit zkittles and squanch24 for a lil seed run w different studs on the same lady.
My theory is even if it's too slow to root at least by the time i can get some pollen sacks to form i can cut it and have a head start or keep it alive to get pollen which i have done before by just cutting the branch and dipping it in water but it dies in a week.

Cloning autos is pretty useless if your after bud, but it's quite useful if you are breeding and just trying to isolate a flipped branch from your garden. It's a niche application, but I've used it a few times.

Back