DIY Bloom Fertilizer From Bananas

Reaction score
I was searching youtube about soaking weeds and grass in water to extract the nutrients which lead to watching a video about easy banana peel fertilizer. Basically what the guy said to do was cut up banana peels into 1-2'' pieces, fill mason jar with banana peel slices 1/2-3/4 the way and add water. Then set it on the counter shake daily for 2 weeks.

I happened to have a bunch of organic bananas that were on the edge of going brown (coulda made banana bread). So why not try it I thought but with one difference the bananas where mushed up and added to the jars too not just peels. Also the peels were put in whole since I'm lazy af.

This experiment started 11/17/22

Here is what they look like today 8 days later
100_1344.JPG
100_1345.JPG

Also note the bananas start fermenting during this process so you'll want to vent the pressure every so often.

This shit gave me fruit flies even though the lids were on the jars. It didn't seem to be working/turning brown anyways so I dumped them down the toilet. Then my fucking toilet flooded because I'm a dumb ass and flushed whole banana skins. FML

Last edited:
Ugh what a mess! Before and after trying to dispose of them.

Another good source of K is Comfrey. Nothing is easier to grow either.

You didn't add sugar. That's why it didn't work. You could have still composted the banana.

if you already figured this out sorry if redundant. Maybe will help another.

Back