Fungus Gnats - Prevention,Cures and Myths

These things are giving me absolute fits!!!!!

I have used tons of BTi, neem, spinosad, tthyme oil but can't get rid of them.

I haven't done a drench using spinosad, gonna try that in next.

Im also going to try pre treating my next round of soil with spinosad a week or so before planting.

What soil are you using? It might be better to change soils.

I use mosquito bits soaked in water overnight and the big paper sticky traps that they sell for rodents on top of the pots. Takes about 2 weeks

I use a locally sourced soil blend called MyBohemian (Pot)ing Soil. It is a blend of compost, coco, green sand, worm casting mycco, biochar, aged bark.
What soil are you using? It might be better to change soils.

I use a locally sourced soil blend called MyBohemian (Pot)ting Soil. It is a blend of compost, coco, green sand, worm casting mycco, biochar, aged bark.

I love the soil its a great mix...just don't like the gnats that come with the compost and worm castings.

In truth I just need to do better job of preventing them from getting out of hand.

I relaxed a bit and Boom!!!!!! They have exploded on me.

If I use worm castings I pasteurize them, You living in Texas during the hotter month could black plastic bag them and put them in the driveway in the sun. That would kill a lot of the eggs off giving you a better start. Aged bark is not for me. It is never aged enough. I can't stand GNATS! Me I would rather use inert soil than have to deal with them. I use the stuff for ponds a drop every watering I can remember. I really have none or 1 or 2 on a bad day. I am sure some pots don't get treated as I forget till after. Remember the hotter your grow room the faster the population grows as well.

_20220119_120449.JPG

I use Pot Poppers/Nematodes, Diatomaceous Earth, and sticky traps. Pot Popper Nematodes control thrip, aphid, fungus Gnat, and Spider Mite larvae. It's an organic alternative that works so well that I've incorporated them into every grow as a preventative.

Blue Microverse F5
DSC_0649~2.JPG

Last edited:
fungus gnats. arrgh. they come in around windows/doors/floor drains...they are about impossible to keep out. They sneak rides on pets and people, maybe even other bugs. Bagged soil can be full of the little f'ers.
Here, it's more about 'control'. I've given up hope of ever being rid of them.

I reuse my soil and compost it with organic dry amendments between grows. I use pelletized neem cake and insect frass for insect control. The frass has chitin in it. Crab meal, oyster shell powder and meal worms also have chitin. Will keep all kinds of bugs out of your soil and from munching on your plants.

Back