bug free soil advice

can't wait

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Greetings to the the community.

I am a bit puzzled because i have been buying soil from a local store and never had problems with bugs and also had excellent results. In my last grow i got gnats in late flowering propably because of overwatering. Not a bit problem though. This time around i purchased a diferrent brand because the store didn't have the brand i used to buy. So i mixed the soil with a good amount of perlite and put it in my 11l pots and placed my seeds directly in them, ( i always presoak the medium and then put a seed directly in). BUT after the seedlings hatched (day 2) i immediate saw a flying bagger in my tent. Could it be? Yes it could. After 2 days more i saw a lot of little baggers flying around in the tent (around 15). F@@@@@ing fungus gnats. Result? I culled my seedlings and threw away the soil because things got out of hand already at day 5. My guess is they came with the soil i had just bought.

I live in europe and i can not find products like gnatrol or mosquito dunks or spinosad to put up a fight. The only thing i found is a product called cordalene which is basicaly BACILLUS THURINGIENSIS VAR. KURSTAKI and from what i have read it is not the right product. What i need is BACILLUS THURINGIENSIS VAR. ISRAELENSIS. Right???

Right now i am scanning the net to find a good soil and bug free.
My question is what brands do you use and have not to deal with the little critters?
My first thought was biobizz light mix because i already use biobizz nutrients, but then i read some posts that talk about biobizz bad batches and that it comes with gnats or that it has many tree stalks which can attract the gnats. IS THAT ANY TRUE?
What brand would you advice me to purchase?
What is your experience?
I appreciate any comment.

Soil and bugs go hand in hand.. It should be expected.. You're growing in organic matter. Also, grow store are a notorious place for all sorts of bugs. Growers are walking in and out all day, unknowingly carrying bugs and larvae from their own gardens into the grow store.. Gnatrol or BTI can be found and bought from eBay. Even eBay Europe. That will solve your gnat/larvae issues.. Just pre soak the soil with it before you plant in it. But no matter what soil you use or chose, you should plan for, and expect bugs.

Perhaps the time has come for you to switch to coco.

Soil and bugs go hand in hand.. It should be expected.. You're growing in organic matter. Also, grow store are a notorious place for all sorts of bugs. Growers are walking in and out all day, unknowingly carrying bugs and larvae from their own gardens into the grow store.. Gnatrol or BTI can be found and bought from eBay. Even eBay Europe. That will solve your gnat/larvae issues.. Just pre soak the soil with it before you plant in it. But no matter what soil you use or chose, you should plan for, and expect bugs.
@Proph thank you for your reply. Can you suggest me a quality soil? i am going to take your advice on the european ebay.

So gnats do not like coco? Can i use biobizz nutrients with coco?
@Proph thank you for your reply. Can you suggest me a quality soil? i am going to take your advice on the european ebay.
Im im the states so Im not sure what is available to you. But I know that bio bizz and bio bizz light are both very popular in Europe. Either one will work fine. There are plenty of growers on site that use them both.

Gnats are attracted to moist organic material.. Coco coir is an organic material. You can definitely get gnats in coco. The only time that getting bugs is extremely unlikely, is when growing with hydro.

Im im the states so Im not sure what is available to you. But I know that bio bizz and bio bizz light are both very popular in Europe. Either one will work fine. There are plenty of growers on site that use them both.

Gnats are attracted to moist organic material.. Coco coir is an organic material. You can definitely get gnats in coco. The only time that getting bugs is extremely unlikely, is when growing with hydro.
Hey @Proph thank you for your precious support! I ordered some GNATROL WDG. So i presoak my pots with it and that's it? Or do i have to repeat applications? What is the recomended dosage? I also read that i have to use it with deionized water is that true? Thank you again for your help.

Hey @Proph thank you for your precious support! I ordered some GNATROL WDG. So i presoak my pots with it and that's it? Or do i have to repeat applications? What is the recomended dosage? I also read that i have to use it with deionized water is that true? Thank you again for your help.
The dosage will be on the packaging. They have different levels of strength depending on how bad the infestation is. Just use it as directed. It will kill off any larvae living in the soil. And get a few yellow sticky traps for the adult flyers. I don't know about deionized water. Never heard that one before. I would just use normal RO water or any plain bottled water. It may take one application.. Or it could take a few. It all depends on how bad the problem is.

The dosage will be on the packaging. They have different levels of strength depending on how bad the infestation is. Just use it as directed. It will kill off any larvae living in the soil. And get a few yellow sticky traps for the adult flyers. I don't know about deionized water. Never heard that one before. I would just use normal RO water or any plain bottled water. It may take one application.. Or it could take a few. It all depends on how bad the problem is.
@Proph I can't thank you enough my friend. I wish you happy and green gardens!

Back