Cannagus Away Team rescue attempt

Cannagus

Ictis Ficedulae Imperium
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Best Coast Genetics Lake Tahoe photo/ 100% germination, decent yield, great taste and stone
Now reinforced by Phyter. Have a look friends, it's really unpretty.

First I'll show you the grow, such as it is. Part of my first, it is 3 Alien OG and 2 Blue Haze. They're in a woods and get roughly 6-7 hours of direct light. Over the course of the summer the vegetation in the woods has grown far beyond what I expected and they no longer enjoy much air movement. A while back I went in there and started taking lower branches off the Aliens that didn't seem to me as if they were going to make a whole lot. By the time I quit they look a little like Truffula trees from The Lorax. There are others in much better shape I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about until it's all come down in a few weeks, because of the laws where I live.

3 Alien and 2 Blue Haze in front of them. The Haze seems to have 2 pheno's, one of which grows as more or less just a straight stalk with short side branches. It looks like in good conditions it would just become one big cola. Bud rot is present in all but way worse in the Aliens as near as I can tell. Most rot pics are Alien.
IMG_0657.jpg

Many mannnny black buds/ bud sites
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Both cola Hazes I have had this problem at the bottom early, the other I brought out of it somehow.
IMG_0661 (1).jpg

So I was in there yesterday, this time armed with Phyter, and marinated the living piss out of these leper bimbos and going back to douse them again in just a bit. I spent the rest of the day trimming elsewhere and also basted those plants, which presently aren't showing any signs of trouble. Hoping to keep it that way. I'm growing just for the purpose of provisioning myself. My needs are not huge 4-5 oz. would get me through a year easy I'd like to have a surplus so that next year I can downsize and still have bud if I had crop failure.

The plan is to dose them daily for ?? so I will update later. The pics don't really do the horror of it justice, the bigger part of the canopy there has blackness throughout.

Cheers guys and thanks again Phyter :thumbsup:

Earlier in the year the new emerging growth in a number of my plants presented as new leaves twisted into a spiral. It drove me nuts at times and went on for a good while. Eventually they all seemed to push through it and appear healthy now.

I just did find this same issue on a plant that grew from an Alien cutting I took back in May, except this time there's a bud. So I pulled it open and found bud rot, and I've pretty much reached the conclusion that when you see emerging growth coming out twisted you have a mold/mildew/fungus problem.
IMG_0664.jpg

This plant was treated with Phyter but only once the day before yesterday and I don't doubt the problem was already there. I'm planning to dose everything I have going again this evening. Heavy fog during the night and morning the last couple of days and not as much air moving as usual. High temps predicted for the next week or so.

2 things I'm watching for, first is a halt in the spread of blackness throughout the patch and I think I'm seeing that...does not seem to have spread since beginning treatment with RotBlock. Most of the bot is in the middle Alien with a bit showing in the 2 neighboring plants. If that continues to harvest, I will recover some of the Alien bud and most importantly to me, nearly all of the Haze. It did not become badly infected before treatment began, just a small spot or two plus whatever I can't see.

Second thing that would be good to see is uninfected new growth on branches that were/are def infected. Too soon for me to say on that.

Update - So far so good. Plants that were not presenting any signs of disease still appear ok. In the plant that had it worst, in the places where bud rot first presented, the tops have begun to die but bud rot was very well established when I began treatment. It does seem as though some spots that were heavily infected may be starting to fight it back. I observed some new bud growth at the top of a few infected stalks that appeared to be emerging uninfected, and improved appearance in the leaves associated with those spots. With my lack of experience I don't quite know if this means the RotBlock is actually starting to overcome it or if it's just normal and the new growth I was looking at will become infected later. The weather has cooled a bit I'll try to get some pics of this on my next visit.

I have also used it on others that are in much better health and somewhat better environment. I have discovered only 1 small spot with PM and another 1 equally small of bud rot, but remember that these plants had never been treated prior to 2 weeks ago. Based on what I'm seeing in the Away Team patch I have a lot of confidence that RotBlock is working well and will help me recover bud that I would likely have had to toss without it. More later.....

I have taken new pics but when I look at them, to me they don't do much to illustrate what's going on in the patch so no point in posting them. When they're chopped I will have to inspect all the branches and buds anyway and I can get better pics then.

Other plants I have of the same strains as in this patch have begun to fade a bit. In this patch they are not yet. The bud rot hit before they were really done with the stretch and it did not seem to inhibit that, but it definitely affected bud building on the most heavily infected plant, it's sparse at best and what bud there is, is still infected but has a better appearance. The adjacent plants are mainly healthy, after they're chopped I might find a spot or two but it won't be a lot. They did more bud building than the really bad one so I'll get to recover some bud from them. The two hazes are in decent health as well and making buds with no sign of any infection.

I have also applied RotBlock to those 'others' I've mentioned which were in a way better state of health than the Away Team, and they are doing fine. Across a fair number of plants from about 5 strains all photo, just a tiny spot or two on a couple of plants and the rest are as clean as can be. If there are no significant changes I likely won't post here again until they're chopped and I can give them a good look over, but I'm real happy with the way things improved after beginning to treat them.

In Conclusion - 2 plants were recovered that had bud rot only in a few small places and loss was minimal. Those were Blue Haze. The Alien plants I was having trouble with buds turning black, ended up as about 75% loss, due not to bud rot but to caterpillars I had failed to detect until I had the bud at the trimming table. They appeared healthy otherwise showing no sign of rot, fungus or mildew, only the damage done by the worms.

It looks like Phyter/Rotblock did the job and had it not been for the pests, and with the rot in check, I would have recovered about 4 oz. here instead of maybe 1-ish. I also had good results with Phyter in another grow location, healthier plants in better surroundings which finished with only an occasional small spot of rot and negligible losses.

I definitely want to have it on hand for my next growing season and recommend it's use.

In Conclusion - 2 plants were recovered that had bud rot only in a few small places and loss was minimal. Those were Blue Haze. The Alien plants I was having trouble with buds turning black, ended up as about 75% loss, due not to bud rot but to caterpillars I had failed to detect until I had the bud at the trimming table. They appeared healthy otherwise showing no sign of rot, fungus or mildew, only the damage done by the worms.

It looks like Phyter/Rotblock did the job and had it not been for the pests, and with the rot in check, I would have recovered about 4 oz. here instead of maybe 1-ish. I also had good results with Phyter in another grow location, healthier plants in better surroundings which finished with only an occasional small spot of rot and negligible losses.

I definitely want to have it on hand for my next growing season and recommend it's use.
Another vote for Phyter. If anyone found that it did not help noticeably, I have missed it. I believe that we have a pretty encouraging series of tests.
Happy mold avoidance peeps - if you grow outdoors, or have RH issues indoors, Phyter can help. :pighug:

Back