Coco Vs Soil maintenance intervals

Cookiemonster69

It's all in the wrist ;')
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I don't smoke!!!
Hey everyone, hope all is well.

My current grow will come to and end in the next 7/8 weeks.

For my next run I plan on not trying not visit my plants as often as I am currently atm. Right now it's usually to refill my 120 gallon reservoir, which is once a week. With drip lines watering the COCO twice a day.

I plan on wanting to visit once every 2 weeks/3weeks. Because my place is now being rented by my friends I don't want to disturb them too much.

So I'm deciding on using soil instead of Coco, which would allow me to water less often hence less intervals needed to fill the reservoir. Maybe water once a day, every 3rd day?

I wanted to ask, what's the best soil I can get in the UK? And after how many weeks does the nutrients in the soil exhaust itself? I'm going to use GH Maxibloom throughout the autos cycle.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
If you go with soil I'd recommend looking at the blumats watering system. It works off soil tensiometry - short explanation, as the soil dries it opens the valve and when the soil is wet it pushes it shut. Water expands differently in soil so they won't work in coco very well. But with the blumats you won't have to guess at watering intervals. It will do it on it's own and if you stick a couple in each plant, the plant will basically control it's own watering cycle.

You want the tropf-blumat product. Gravity system.

If you go with soil I'd recommend looking at the blumats watering system. It works off soil tensiometry - short explanation, as the soil dries it opens the valve and when the soil is wet it pushes it shut. Water expands differently in soil so they won't work in coco very well. But with the blumats you won't have to guess at watering intervals. It will do it on it's own and if you stick a couple in each plant, the plant will basically control it's own watering cycle.

You want the tropf-blumat product. Gravity system.

Wow that's is actually... VERY interesting??? The concept seems perfect! Hopefully there's some YouTube vids on this.

I'm deffinately going to look into this!

Thanks DCL!

Definitely tons of YT vids. It needs a couple days setup ahead of time to get the valves adjusted perfect but it's quite easy.

Being away for that long, I'd want some type of video watching/surveillance option(s), to see what's happening with the plants, tent, etc. (besides online access to temp. and humidity data).

Last edited:
Being away for that long, I'd want some type of video watching/surveillance option(s), to see what's happening with the plants, tent, etc. (besides online access to temp. and humidity data).
Very good shout, il consider this
Thanks!

And with video, you could even watch and interactively give detailed instructions to anyone tending the plants; have them respond to nutrient deficiencies/excesses, environmental control issues, etc.

Back