Dealing with thrips on day 30-40

Kuma

New User
Reaction score
I've just noticed on one of my plants some silvery, slimey substance and when i looked further it became pretty clear that thrips are causing the issue. I've ordered some sticky traps to make sure it's 100% thrips and to help get rid of some, as well as some diatomaceous earth and neem oil, but my question is what would be the best way to treat the tent/plant in question.
They've just started flowering 2 plants are on day 40, 3 of them on day 30, so i'm not sure if it's too late to use neem oil to treat them as i've heard a lot of mixed reviews/opinions. So should i just use the diatomaceous earth and sticky traps along with decent defoliation or spray the plants with neem and hope for the best?

wash the little peckers off... i wouldnt spray anything aside from water unless it was an infestation tho
gl

wash the little peckers off... i wouldnt spray anything aside from water unless it was an infestation tho
gl
So do you think with spraying tf out of the plants with just water, and using de/yellow traps will be enough to stop it becoming an issue? There's still a good 40 days left on the plants and i don't want it to get worse closer to harvest when i 100% cant use neem or other sprays.

Exact same issue and timeline as you..I'm a helicopter parent so I caught them early.
I squished all I could see and used ARGO? CFO vermicast .
Haven't seen any since

Lady Bugs... took care of them for me twice last season. They were coming in with medium purchase.

Ive had thrips... annoying but not a huge issue ime...wouldnt use neem unless you like the way it tastes :shrug:

The sticky traps, lady bugs, and making it generally uncomfortable for the little peckers by blasting the leaves, paying close attention to the undersides is what I would do.. D E wont have any effect I dont think... they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves not in the soil... Defoliating is a possible option, but cant recommend not having seen the plants..
gl

Last edited:
I wouldn't use Neem either. And tbh I've used Neem for a decade and I'm starting to snap to the fact that I don't think it's that effective. Plain soapy water is just as effective, and probably what is most effective in a neem and soap mix. Plus a lot of people use Neem irresponsibly and it can have negative effects on pollinators. But, I would knock them off manually and with water spray as mentioned if you are in flower.

i was under the impression that at 1 point in their lives they did go into the soil and that is where the CFO vermicast comes into affect.
the good bugs eat the bad bugs, but i'm a newb and just going from what the internet and supply store says.
i also was told the good bugs ,i have no idea what their called, will also climb onto the plant itself and eat the thrips there

i was under the impression that at 1 point in their lives they did go into the soil and that is where the CFO vermicast comes into affect.
the good bugs eat the bad bugs, but i'm a newb and just going from what the internet and supply store says.
i also was told the good bugs ,i have no idea what their called, will also climb onto the plant itself and eat the thrips there
Yep youre correct... they pupate under the soil..

Back