DIY DIY HiFi audio player

Hey!
Good news, new widget is at the post office. Will pick it up on Saturday. WooHoo here we go!

Well alrighty then!
We are on our way. The widget is here. I went ahead and ordered another Raspberry pi along with a power supply and a chip. We'll have everything we need to build this sweet little widget. The only thing I don't have is a case. The original one I ordered had one. I do have a case and hope we can mod this one to work.

Edit: So here are some of the details.

I purchased this DAC from eBay. It cost $39.00 Shipped
DacBerry3_zpsnqhdorrs.jpg

dacBerry3+

ES9023 50MHz 192K 24Bit I2S DAC
For Raspberry Pi 2 BCM2836
Supports lastest Raspberry Pi 2
Direct connects to Raspberry Pi 2 P1 40 Pin Header
Supports Volumio 1.55
Based on ES9023 192K 24Bit 2Vrms Output DAC,
operates in 50MHz
Onboard Low Noise LDO voltage regulator
Use ERO/Vishay KP1830 Polypropylene film Aluminum foil capacitor
for analog output filter
Use Sanyo OSCON, WIMA MKS2 Capacitor
Power ON LED
Use Raspberry Pi 2 5V power
Small Footprint 5.6 x 6.5 cm

Raspery Pi 2 kit from Amazon for $49.99
81NrRpkSqnL._SL1500__zps6vcklbu4.jpg

I bought this because it came with a power supply and a case, hope to be able to mod the case.

I got an 8Gb micro SD card to load the OS on. Speaking of OS, I plan to use Rune Audio http://www.runeaudio.com/ I like this a bit better than VolumIO.

Last I have a Trend Micro USB network widget that should work for the wireless connection. I'll go over the other recommended wireless adapters as well.

That's all for now. All the parts should be here in a few days. Stay tuned.

I built it. It sounds fantastic!!
I could not easily mod the case that came with the kit. Shame its a really cool case, very well engineered. I purchased another case on Amazon. It doesn't really have sides so it will work fine with some different screws.
I am playing it now with a chip amp I got on fleabay for under $5 and a pair of speakers I made for around $15. Made them out of white foam core!
I am going to keep this one for my stereo and use the old one I have with this amp and speakers to make something steampunk/Harry Potter-ish for Teh Wife for X-mas.

Stay tuned for step by step. I'll get those together shortly. This is an amazingly great sounding device to play your tunes from for right around $100! Please let me know if anyone is at all interested before i go through the work of a tutorial! Thanks!!

Hey!
Maybe a few photos to perk up some interest here!
100_0843_zpsnijh6g80.jpg

With the ethernet wi-fi dongle and patch cords showing.
100_0841_zps0igvipri.jpg

From the side.
cc0d1953-5937-42bc-98b7-a21ac534d7ce_zpsjrnntyei.jpg

I also make cables so if anyone needs some great audio cables...

Stay tuned.
My wife is a Harry Potter fan and likes things that look like they came from those movies. I purchased a replica radio that looks like one from the 30's and am going to strip out the guts and build her a player with the Raspberry Pi, a DAC, amp, and speakers. It will be her big gift this year and I'll load it with all her favorite music. I'll get the apps for her phone, tablet and PC so she can play her tunes from anywhere.
I'll detail it here for our enjoyment.

Very nice, just read through it all, I love anything DIY. I hope the wife loves her gift, well done!

Thanks man! It was a great success!!

Back