Harvest & Curing Drying in a brown bag

Hi, thank you for this thread, found a lot of useful info here.

Can i ask which moisture meters do you use to measuring bud water percentage? I found a lot of types (for paper, wood, concrete, etc).

thx

Joe

Hi, thank you for this thread, found a lot of useful info here.

Can i ask which moisture meters do you use to measuring bud water percentage? I found a lot of types (for paper, wood, concrete, etc).

thx

Joe
From what I've read you want a wood meter and to stick it into the stems near the buds......don't use them myself though it's what I've read in other posts.

From what I've read you want a wood meter and to stick it into the stems near the buds......don't use them myself though it's what I've read in other posts.
IMPO they are hard to use, I've resorted to taking a branch with some buds on it and putting it in a mason jar with a hygrometer till it stabilizes. But yes bill is right its a wood moisture meter with the pointy prongs

Those wood moisture meters aren’t accurate from my experience. Soft wood mode is recommended for this kind of testing. I’ve had a bud completely stabbed into the needles and I’ve watched the moisture rating change constant. Turned the metre off and back on and the moisture content is different. So you have to take it with a grain of salt. There will more than likely be a lot more accurate ones out there but expensive. Best way to determine if they’re dry enough is just to use your opinion which gets more accurate the more grows you do. Once you assume it’s all dry enough, fire them into a jar or grove bags and watch the RH on it every hour or so. If it stays at 58-62% it’s dry enough to cure

My method FWIW:
1. Chop full plant, hang for approx. 3 days (secondary branch snap). If needed, break down to branches or branch groups for heavier or tightly spaced bud.
2. Rough (very rough) trim to bud (leave sugar leaves)
3. One layer on bottom double-walled paper grocery bags (thicker the better). Leave space around bud. Rotate every 12 hours. Check humidity every 12 hours (jar test w/ hygrometer) - it can drop fast.
4. Once jar test = 64-66% RH - trim further if needed and then into Grove Bags.
5. Heat seal Grove Bags and check back in 4-6 weeks.

YMMV, INHO, etc.

Last edited:
So sticky it clumps together, so an even layer is tough to accomplish :pass::
IMG_20240217_163938813.jpg
IMG_20240217_164016753.jpg

Back