DynaTec Orion portable IH Driver by DynaVap

Egzoset

Qualified Live Stoner
Reaction score
The power of fire! On batteries...

:pop:

YouTube: DynaTec Orion Induction Heater Review (2020-Sep-14)

IMHO better wait until we can all read & interpret its actual schematic to properly comment...

UPDATE:

M'well, this many months later all i can bet on is that the so-called "DNA" of Induction Heaters for the DynaVap VapCap owners partly resides in a solution implemented by Steven Ward ("Steve's High Voltage Self-Resonant SSTC" Rev. 1.0), in 1983... Still WITHOUT any Curie alloy inside while i wouldn't be surprised to find similar cases going back further in time, as Royer's original patent dates back to 1954! JAi's Curie Pyrolizer got patented in 1969.

:point:

One serious issue with such "protection" trick resides in an attempt to compensate FROM OUTSIDE the faulty circuit (AFTER) a troublesome event occured, so IMO the value of a "KISS" topology was clearly misunderstood. It's as if an armed grenade was put inside some magical black box supposed to contain de deflagration, for example a "Shot-Through" condition quickly leading to catastrophic (destructive) failure.

But ain't this "good enough" for the user's own intended purpose anyway?? :confused1:

Truth is i've repeatedly requested gate waveforms hoping to clear the fog (...), in case there are Miller parasitic oscillations involved that will also compound with other issues. Such elementary suggestions were simply ignored/rejected or just deleted - but it was Egzoset asking after all...

:doh:

Even with the Egzoset variable put aside the recent/negative experience of related hardware resellers vs PayPal could mean real technicians finally took a fair look before advising just to BAN those businesses on the basis of safety, or perhaps there's been confusion over the "vape" term. In any case i can't but notice that although DynaVap's "Induction Heaters" (reddit) channel appears to be generic it's strictly reserved to "Custom, DIY, purchased, or modified induction heaters" serving the DynaVap customers and NO OTHERS.

As for electronics design i feel necessary to remind the readers that both Mazzilli and Ward worked on "Tesla Coils" nonetheless, the later even rendering his musical...

:vibe:

Browsing the web since last summer i finally discovered "Floating" Switched-Capacitor (solar power conversion) topologies with NO D.C. path(s) to begin with

full

Hence less chance for a "Shot Through" condition to cause permanent damage; equally offering access to real "FLAT" designs where RF Chokes are made much smaller/lightweight if not simply rendered optional. Infineon's MA12070 Class-D Digital Audio ("smart") chip integrates everything including the gate-drivers + power stage, and it's feature with multiple protections plus i2C interfacing as an option. One reason to choose the 2-transistors free-wheeling oscillator over current/standardized technology must be the prioritization of cost, and maybe more considerations not directly addressing its final task which is to vaporize, while i'd have to argue marketting tactics solve the reseller's challenge FIRST, actually.

Déjà vu!

:coffee2:

The way constructive criticism was handled my present advice is to refrain from acting out of impulse and continue to observe. Let this frenzy bandwagon pass the test of time...

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Competitors of externally-protected Mazzilli/Royer ZVS power IH stages now from China...
Salutations to IH-Driven DV VC enthousiasts,

The FADvape WDLX has arrived from Guangdong/China and i suspect it's much like fancy 3-cells Mazzilli/Royer ZVS devices which typically depend on out-of-the-loop "BMS" protection/charging modules, though this commercial product probably also includes some level of PWM control and most hopefully even a fair bit of closed-loop feedback via power 10 mΩ common-sources resistor connected to "B-" (see upper-left corner) in this present case, etc.:
q12btc34ci471.jpg
wcqt5gr2ci471.jpg
Source: u/CracksBacks, r/inductionheaters/ (reddit)

Potential customers are being offered USB-C charging with a custom-made semi-permanent battery pack inside, easily removable (at the factory)... As a trade-off for user-removable batteries that should translate into lesser contact failure from electrical stress. Most unfortunately that's no "Pass-Thru" layout similar to ISpire's "The Wand" solution, e.g. with an open IH aperture; as a consequence any future 2-stage heating gets implicitely excluded, which ain't a real issue at all for DynaVap owners anyway...

So, in principle i get a strong impression that's a Mazzilli/Royer ZVS at the core, the 2-chokes (lower-right corner) type, except no "Flyback" transformer quite obviously:

full

Which to me remains wasteful since i believe the best features of such power-stage topology is it's compatibility with that failure-tolerant concept i happen to have illustrated many long years ago:

full
My Lava fantasies (FC), Fault-Tolerant 2-Cells IH Driver KISS design (2014-Sep-24)

Totally in vain of course.

But the fact is at this bargain price chances are the consumers who want it for less than delivery pizza shall feel tempted to "pull the trigger", as they like to put it; so now that we known what's the deal with almost sufficient details it becomes less difficult to make an "educated" decision relatively to this particular option that ain't just based on nationalism alone...

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Back