Nutrients Ec 3.3 advanced nutrient

darknight_420

Welcome to the CannaZone
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm feeding a plant in coco advanced nutrients ph perfect

I've never really been checking the PH or EC and just chuck the recommended dose in a bucket and feed

Today I decided to check the EC with the bluelab truncheon that I always used when feeding canna and it was as high as 3.3 tbh I think that's the last light available on the truncheon lol

No way was I going to feed that on my plant but it got me thinking I've been doing that for weeks and my plants exploding and I'm now wondering how I've not caused her serious damage

I scooped a load of mixed feed out and diluted with water down to 2.0 ec and fed that

you wouldn't feed your plants Ec 3.3 would you?

before I used MegaCrop I used several big brands such as Advanced, GH and Botanicare... with these brands the EC was always over 2.0 without any issues. Then came MC and it shocked me to find I didnt need such high EC.
I wouldnt dare go that high with MC and cant say I have tried to, but it seems most other brands work in those high EC levels without issues... maybe the salts they use are not as pure and that high EC is from other stuff that is not mentioned in the composition or guaranteed analysis table?

Thanks @elcoloan I'm no 100% sure how things work, thats why I prefer the biotabs as you can't go wrong and font check either.

I kinda wish I didn't check it but that said if things go pear shape, then it's coco and can be fixed fairly quick but I can't give them a feed when I'm seeing it as high. I'll see how she goes over the next few days at reduced 2.0 as I think that's pretty high as I never really went above 1.8 when using canna

@JP1 as daft as this may sound, I've never done a run off check for years

tbh I don't even feed enough for it to run out as I cant be arsed with all the faffing about trying to clean up so I'll stop as soon as a i see a dribble and let it evaporate

That now reminds me why I stopped in coco lol

Using "the recommended dose," which is 4 mL/L, I think is way too much. I'm currently using Adv. Nutr. pH Perfect Connoisseur Coco Bloom (works, I don't add cal-mag) and MegaCrop 2-part during veg. growth; and have used both companies' base nutes for years. But I nearly always feed AN base nutes at 2.25-2.5 mL/L, which may be pushing it a little, with 1/2-dose or 2 mL/L having worked well for me too.

But on the other hand, I recall asking an Adv. Nutr. phone rep about dosage, and he said to simply very rapidly ramp up to 4 mL/L and cut down from there if needed. With pH Perfect, RO water (important) and drain-to-waste feeding he didn't see a need to be timid, such as the more commonly recommended ramp up to 1/2-dose and stepwise work up from there. Maybe others can comment whether 4 mL/L feeding actually works for them.

Using coco/perlite, RO water and feeding any needed Ca, Mg, Si or other salty supplements foliarly, it's been likely 6 years since I've bothered to check pH or EC/ppm. There should no need to check these. [I've been lucky and even get away with using MegaCrop without ever measuring or adjusting pH or EC/ppm (but I'm lazy and can't recommend this)].

Last edited:
Back