Essential oils?

Modernviking

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
White Widow
So this may sound like a dumb question, but has anyone tried putting some essential oils in their humidifier? things like rosemary and peppermint repel aphids so I'm curious if thats actually a thing.

So this may sound like a dumb question, but has anyone tried putting some essential oils in their humidifier? things like rosemary and peppermint repel aphids so I'm curious if thats actually a thing.
No. I would think that constantly bathing your plants in something as strong as rosemary or peppermint would ruin the flavor of your bud. Unless of course you like smoking rosemary?

"Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) is a herb that belongs to the mint family. It is an evergreen aromatic shrub30 grown in many parts of the world, and it has been cultivated for a long time for use in folk medicine, cosmetics, and phytocosmetics.31 Recent studies on rosemary essential oil have focused on its antimicrobial activity against several pathogenic microorganisms.1

Chemical analysis of rosemary essential oil revealed the presence of terpenes and terpenoids. The major constituents of this essential oil include α-pinene, myrcene, 1,8-cineole, camphor, camphene, α-terpineol, and borneol."

Although, I wouldn't smoke the essential oil directly, I do put dried rosemary in my vaporizer. It's pleasant.

I also have no idea if vaporizing essential oil into a tent space would deter critters, but I'd imagine it'd work. If the side effect is bud tasting like the essential oils or the vaporized oil settling on the bud I'd be wary. It might taste nice but it might be unhealthy as essential oil shouldn't be smoked or vaped.

Peppermint also has terpenes common to MJ but again..may be a risk. I think it would take a lab to find out if the buds would be tainted with the oils.

My two bits. ‍

I seriously doubt that rosemary or other terpene/terpenoid essential oil vapor in tent air will in any way affect the plants, including not being taken up and deposited within plant cells or tissues. By what mechanism or how would or could terpene/terpenoid vapor (in gas phase) be taken up and retained within plant cells and tissues?

Rosemary oil applied topically/foliarly is sometimes used as a pesticide. But I recall it's mechanism is preventing feeding (the oil distasteful to many insects), not directly killing, so vaporized in the air it will NOT "deter critters," will not keep them away, just considerably reduce or prevent feeding on the plants.

Such topical or foliar applications might eventually affect the smell of buds, impart a rosemary oil smell. But obviously, rosemary oil is non-toxic, with it used in cooking, cosmetics, aromotherapy, etc.

I seriously doubt that rosemary or other terpene/terpenoid essential oil vapor in tent air will in any way affect the plants, including not being taken up and deposited within plant cells or tissues. By what mechanism or how would or could terpene/terpenoid vapor (in gas phase) be taken up and retained within plant cells and tissues?

No idea, who said it would? But vapor could settle on the plants and create a coating.

Rosemary oil applied topically/foliarly is sometimes used as a pesticide. But I recall it's mechanism is preventing feeding (the oil distasteful to many insects), not directly killing, so vaporized in the air it will NOT "deter critters," will not keep them away, just considerably reduce or prevent feeding on the plants.
Not sure about this either, if the air is laden with an unpleasant taste for the critters then logic would say that the critters might be deterred.

Such topical or foliar applications might eventually affect the smell of buds, impart a rosemary oil smell. But obviously, rosemary oil is non-toxic, with it used in cooking, cosmetics, aromotherapy, etc.

If the essential oil vapor is unlikely to be uptaken by the plant and there is an effect
on the taste then that means there's a film of oil on the surface of the plant material.

Sure Rosemary essential oils are safe for those aforementioned applications but it is a whole different ball of wax to set fire to it and inhale the smoke.

“Essential oils are a volatile organic compound (VOC) that when heated over 150 to 180° Fahrenheit can convert to abnormal compounds that can be damaging to our lungs, mouth, teeth, and nose on contact with the burning compound.” Dr Susan Chiarito. Healthline.com

I think we are both out of our areas of expertise to give a definitive and qualified answer. But guessing is fun.

This is so interesting to me, I might acrually try it and see what happens but I will use dried herbs instead.

No idea, who said it would? But vapor could settle on the plants and create a coating.

Not sure about this

Not sure about this either, if the air is laden with an unpleasant taste for the critters then logic would say that the critters might be deterred.

If the essential oil vapor is unlikely to be uptaken by the plant and there is an effect
on the taste then that means there's a film of oil on the surface of the plant material.

Sure Rosemary essential oils are safe for those aforementioned applications but it is a whole different ball of wax to set fire to it and inhale the smoke.

“Essential oils are a volatile organic compound (VOC) that when heated over 150 to 180° Fahrenheit can convert to abnormal compounds that can be damaging to our lungs, mouth, teeth, and nose on contact with the burning compound.” Dr Susan Chiarito. Healthline.com

I think we are both out of our areas of expertise to give a definitive and qualified answer. But guessing is fun.

either, if the air is laden with an unpleasant taste for the critters then logic would say that the critters might be deterred.

on the taste then that means there's a

Vapor, substances dissolved in gasses, will not form a "film of oil on the surface of the plant material" unless the vapor somehow condenses on the leaves (and how would that happen)? Otherwise, why wouldn't the smelly terpenes in the air from our plants similarly form a film on plant surfaces?

As I noted, topically applying or spraying essential oil dissolved (or globulues suspended) in water will presumably leave a film on the surface, which is what you want with the rosemary oil, so it deters insects from eating plant tissues. And if some rosemary-based substances are taken up by the plant, it's just more of much the same plant terpenes. You seem to assume rosemary terpenes are somehow bad vs. cannabis terpenes, but fundamentally there's little difference. At worst residual rosemary oil may affect odor/taste slightly, some might say with positive effect.

I vaguely recall @Waira having recommended a rosemary oil product for pest control at one time(?), and noting that it naturally breaks down and is no longer detectable after several weeks.

Last edited:
Not a dumb question at all! I think it could help deter vermins, but not eliminate them,... Also that direct of depositing of micro oil droplets on surfaces may taint the flavors/aromas, and may also brown-out the pistils if in bloom,... I don't think the lights/electronics will like it either...

I vaguely recall @Waira having recommended a rosemary oil product for pest control at one time(?), and noting that it naturally breaks down and is no longer detectable after several weeks.
:thumbsup: yup, SNS 209 (Sierra Natural Science) is the product, rosemeric acid (derived from the oil) is the active ingredient; it's a systemic that fouls the sap making it taste bad....
I've been using it for my outdoor photo's for several years now, and it's definitely a big help... You have to quit use a few weeks before harvest for it to get metabolized out, that's it!

Back