New Grower First DWC Attempt! (Single Bucket, Mephisto Genetics, HLG 100 Rspec)

Kazman420

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Forum Stomper
Hey AFN!

With two coco grows now under my belt and a small second light available I've decided to give my first DWC a try! I know they can be tricky and you have to stay on top of them, but I'm sure with the awesome help of everybody at AFN that it'll be a success!

I'll be doing it in a 5g bucket (6" net pot) and pushing 38 Liters per minute (602GPH) through 4 BubbleMac air stones. Nutrients will be the last of my GH Flora 6 part series along with Hydroguard. The light is the HLG 100 Rspec and I've set up a 2x2 area in the corner of my grow room with light reflecting walls. (I grow in a sealed room in a basement). I'll start with RO water for the first week or two and then switch to tap. I have fairly good control over the VPD in the room, though this will be my first time growing in the summer so that could get interesting. I'm planning to start her in a root riot then transfer her to the net pot with hydroton and I'll manually top feed until her roots start popping out of the bottom of the net pot. Starting with 1 inch of space between the bottom of the net pot and top of the solution.

I have a second pump which I will use to pre-aerate the next batch of solution 24 hours in advance in an attempt to get the pH to stabilize. (I'll also be using half the lines on the manifold of the second pump to keep my coco res aerated, but it can work as a backup for just the DWC if needed in an emergency).

I'm actually a little conflicted on which bean to pop. I've a little selection of Mephisto seeds at this point and want to make sure it's something easy to grow in a DWC that can be done without too much training. I was thinking of topping (it would be my first time) and then I can do LST/tucking. I have the following to choose from: Forum Stomper, Skywalker, Double Grape, Northern Cheese Haze, Orange Biscuits. Any advice on which bean to pop would be greatly appreciated!

My plan is to play switch-a-roo with my spare bucket by just lifting the lid/plant with roots from the current bucket and gently placing it into the ready and waiting second bucket. Air stone lines will be drilled down through the lid and I'll try to set the initial slack as minimal as possible (and I'd imagine they'll get entangled in roots eventually anyway). This also lets me worry less about topping off the levels and just switching into full buckets of new solution. Will this work or am I setting myself up for failure before even getting to the general DWC questions?

This grow is heavily inspired by the DWC AvT Tent thread by @CannabisMingus. I'm also tagging in @derek420colorado since he's been helpful with regards to airflow and of course @Mañ'O'Green simply because he's MoG, hehe.

Here's the setup... I'll probably upgrade the white painted walls, but for now they are better than nothing. When the second one is placed properly and it makes a nice 2x2 area.
DWC_Setup01.jpg

DWC_Setup03.jpg

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious then I think I'm actually ready to go right now, I just need to pick a bean to drop! (See above for the selection I have, I'd love help picking one)

I do have questions though!

1. I know CalMag is used as a buffer with RO/Distilled. How many ppm's should I be starting with for my base water for week 1 and 2?

2. Same question but in regards to when I switch to tap water at week 3. My tap seems to fluctuate been 75~100 ppm (.5 scale). Would it even be necessary to add buffer CalMag to my starting tap water since this is DWC and not coco?

3. My initial/current plan is to try and only do new full batches of solution using a second bucket and not worry about too much about topping off the nutes, but this might not be feasible. (And I'm willing to adapt as needed). Regardless, once roots have been fully established, how low can I let the nutrient solution go?

4. I have Real Growers Recharge for my Coco grows. Is there any benefit to using this in a DWC and if so when would be the best time to do so?

Anyway, thanks all for reading and I hope to keep you updated with my first ever DWC attempt!

Last edited:
Hey @Kazman420 - welcome to the wild and wacky world of DWC! See my answers below in italics-

1. I know CalMag is used as a buffer with RO/Distilled. How many ppm's should I be starting with for my base water for week 1 and 2?

I would shoot for 250 ppm (approx. .5 EC) total, including nutes. I would shoot for 50 ppm of that for CalMag

2. Same question but in regards to when I switch to tap water at week 3. My tap seems to fluctuate been 75~100 ppm (.5 scale). Would it even be necessary to add buffer CalMag to my starting tap water since this is DWC and not coco?

Depends on your Ca and Mg in your tap. I would try to find a water report from your water supplier. I have tried to use tap multiple times but have gone back to RODI

3. My initial/current plan is to try and only do new full batches of solution using a second bucket and not worry about too much about topping off the nutes, but this might not be feasible. (And I'm willing to adapt as needed). Regardless, once roots have been fully established, how low can I let the nutrient solution go?

In my DWC grows, I shoot for 600-620 ppm and top off with concentrated solution when it falls below 550.

4. I have Real Growers Recharge for my Coco grows. Is there any benefit to using this in a DWC and if so when would be the best time to do so?

IMHO, I would only use Hydroguard in DWC. It's contra the thinking with soil. I have experimented with many mutli-strain inoculants (Great White, Recharge, others) and always had root pathogen issues. Bacteria in DWC have very little to do with nutrient transport (that's why it's hydro). The only reason to inoculate in DWC (again IMHO) is to protect the rhizosphere from pathogens. This is best accomplished by a (largely) mono-culture. The strain in Hydroguard is very good at that. When I encouraged bacterial diversity in DWC it always led to problems.

HTH, YMMV, etc.

I've got two buckets in a 2x2 right now, theyre my third and forth beans ever popped. i am bad at new things and have not done a good job, but the plants grow so awesome in the oxygenated water it's amazing. advice from an idiot:

• germinate seeds in paper towel, transfer to rockwool, slam those rockwool pods into hydroton right off the bat. keep it easy.
  • don't worry too much about scientific specifics, my tap water is 7ph and 200PPM. i accidentally way over nuted to 2400PPM and everything was fine. i dont even measure PPM or PH anymore, just make a couple buckets of tap water and then add genhydro 1-2-3. i do use the correct ratios now
  • if youre going to be height restricted go for a bushy kushy and not a high haze. the plants grow so amazing in this medium. there are about a million youtube videos of people outgrowints tents using DWC
  • i way way waaaaaay over defoliated and the plants are still fine
  • i accudentally snapped the HEAD off one plant while trying down/training. main cola of a blueberry kush. plant has recovered and seems healthy
  • i sprayed dr zymes all over the plants WITH THE LIGHTS ON, frying a ton of leaves, and they recovered
  • good call in drilling into tops and not sides. one of my plant's root structure has completely engulfed the air stone and line, effecrively tying the lid and bucket together. theres enough slack to get in there but i am not comfortable divorcing the two pieces.

anyway, who knows how the final harvest will be and all that. and im not telling you to abuse the plants as much as I'm trying to reassure you - you got this dude. DWC is like a miracle for easy growing.

germinate seeds in paper towel

You will get many opinions on this - but you risk damaging the root tip doing it this way. I suggest a 24-hour soak in with a small amount of humic/kelp and then into a rapid rooter or rockwool.

don't worry too much about scientific specifics,

I strongly recommend the opposite. Good luck!

YMMV, IMHO, etc.

I enjoy growing in DWC, although it can take more effort than soil grows..

Following along :pop:

@Kazman420 read my primer on DWC:

Swapping buckets will not work when the plant gets bigger - You will just break the plant. Support is always a problem. I endded up using nets. Get a suction pump to pump the water out of the bucket.

:goodluck:

Thanks everybody for responding! I appreciate every answer and piece of advice.

In my DWC grows, I shoot for 600-620 ppm and top off with concentrated solution when it falls below 550.
Initially I misunderstood your answer because I was actually asking about the physical amount/height of the water level. (ie; never let the bucket go below half full, etc etc.) But your response covers a question I hadn't even thought of, so I appreciate it.

@Kazman420 read my primer on DWC:

Swapping buckets will not work when the plant gets bigger - You will just break the plant. Support is always a problem. I endded up using nets. Get a suction pump to pump the water out of the bucket.

:goodluck:
Thanks @Mañ'O'Green

Checking that thread now. I was kinda worried about plant stability since I wasn't going to use a net/trellis. I may have to forgo the bucket swap idea and go this route. I love the suction pump idea. Cheap and effective!

Just a quick update.

Turns out I wasn't actually ready to start. I only have one humidifier and I was using it upstairs in a different room where I was drying my previous harvest. So yeah, that was an extra week and then a weekend of trim hell. I think next time I might try wet trimming.

I also ordered one of those lid/netpot combination thingies. The one I made myself fits fine and is light proof, but nothing holds the net pot into the lid except the weight of the hydroton/plant, and I don't trust it for my first DWC. (I suppose I could glue it, is that safe to do?). Lastly I wanted to adjust the positioning of the holes for the air tubes since bucket swapping might not be viable later on.

I should be able to actually get started this weekend and will post more updates once things are moving along.

Back