New Grower First Grow Unidentified Auto

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the smaller plant. It will still flower but obviously won't get as big or produce as much as the bigger one. Sounds like your light is at a good height and giving you good node spacing. I think you're well on your way to a nice harvest.

thanks for the pics makes it nice for all to see whats going on...they look very nice your doing a great job stayin on top of everything... dont worry too much about LS she just might suprise ya... you have room to put a small lamp with a CFL in it for some side lite next to her... i noticed your air pump inside the tent it would be better if it was outside where the air is cooler, you can always set the air pump on a freezer pack it really helps cool the air going to the res... i would also keep the air pump above the water line in the res... LOOKIN REALLY GOOD :D

TOKE OUT

Thanks guys...I feel much more confident now. I moved the air pumps above the water line, I measured BS a few minutes ago, she is 12", LS is still 6".

I got a large plastic bucket thing that the hydro unit will fit in, but is not as tall. I got the ice pack things, I will set that up Wednesday. The rez temp was down to 70 degrees just with turing off the pump. And I got some dowels. And yes, I will only use half nutes from now on!

Now, I hope you don't cringe when I tell you this...but the tent I made doesn't have a door on it. I have done the whole grow with it opened because I didn't have all the venting equipment and such to use for sealing it inside. Is in a closet, about a foot into the closet, and I removed the closet doors, and is in a small bedroom that has a ceiling fan I have had on full downward air. And I have 3 small fans placed strategically. I know this probably would not have worked with traditional plants, put hoped it would work with auto's, and it has seemed to be ok.

If you can answer, I did want to ask if you think a different auto type would grow as well as this one has? I tried to find out which it is, but the man that gave me the seeds could not remember, but here is a hint: he always gets seeds from the UK at marijuana-seeds.nl...I have looked through what they have, but have been unable to identify. Wondering if anyone would know...or will that be pretty impossible? Just thought I would ask as I would love to get the same type, but if you know another type that would work in my less than perfect conditions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Am just waiting and watching for the slow down, and will let you al know how that goes! Tokin_Granny :thumbs:

It's nearly impossible to tell one strain from another as they all look so similar. About the only distinction you can make is between indica and sativa. Indicas have shorter, fatter leaves, sativas have longer, thinner ones. As indicas flower faster than sativas, indicas have been primarily used to create the auto strains. Yours is an indica dominant strain.

There are many different strains that I'm sure would do as well or even better than what you're growing now. It really comes down to personal preference. A particular taste, type of high, or medicinal property that you desire. Everyone has their favorites. Check the link at the top of the page for Autoflower Seeds. That is the seed bank run by the members here. Everything there has been bred by our members. Also, anything from the breeder Stitch is highly recommended. He is perhaps the premier auto breeder around and has created some top strains like Mi5, Auto Assassin, Onyx and a host of others. About 25 different ones total.

Reading through your setup I don't see mention of a carbon filter. Weed plants can get pretty smelly once they get into flowering and without a good filtration system you might run into some odor issues.

Yes, thank you Muddy. I am aware of odor problems, about all I can do is use an ion unit I have, Lysol and hope for the best! Since they are growing in the open room, I really don't have a lot of choicees. The Big Sister is up to 13" tonight, so this will be interesting how I will deal with the odor...not haviing anyone who would care over to the house is about the best way to deal with it. I do not think the odor will leave the house as I have no leaks, and no openings to speak of. If it does wafer outside the house, I will just have to deal with it. Try to mask, is all I am thinking I can do! I will look at the seeds, thanks again.

If it gets too bad you can always install a fan and carbon filter without an outdoor vent. Even in an open room that will reduce the smell considerably.

If it gets too bad you can always install a fan and carbon filter without an outdoor vent. Even in an open room that will reduce the smell considerably.

Alright. Exactly what type of fan? In my mind I am imagining like a regular round, plug-in fan, and maybe place a cut-out round piece of carbon filter material and place it on the air in-take side of the fan? Sorry, this is all I can think of, which may work...I have sheets of carbon filter stuff for the air conditioner, I can cut it out to fit anything I need...or am I way off on this thought?

End of Week 5

Just an update, wanted to post some photos of the end of week 5.

Your plants are looking great. I've not tried a fan setup like that so am not sure how effective it would be. Most of us are using in line fans and carbon filters designed to match. Here's what I use:

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/active-air-165-cfm-in-line-duct-fan-p-2755.html
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/phat-12x4-200-cfm-carbon-filter-p-3016.html

The carbon filters last a long time, especially with only 1 or two plants. I grow 4 at a time and have been using the same filter for almost 2 years now.

Oh, ok, well I wasn't too far off...except mine would be more of a redneck filter I suppose! Thanks for the links. I will need to work on getting one of those.

BTW, I bought a plastic basket and cut it down, placed the hydro unit inside. I can place about 4 blue ice packs between the hydro and the basket and it cools the water down to about 67 degrees F. Another redneck thing, but it does work, thanks to folks here giving me the idea. The packs last for about 4 hours, then I just change them out. Works well when under a budget. I will post a picture in the near future.

Back