Old Reviews Grow Tent setup feedback and advice - single plant DWC / Autoflower / 20/4 cycle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to do my first autoflower / DWC grow and would love your feedback on my set up.

I am planning to grow one or two autoflower planets in a shorty tent (6ft max), possibly with the SCROG method, if needed. My first tent will be a single 2x2.5 but planning on upgrading to 4x4 once I get more experience, so a lot of my components are taking that into account.

Seed - Dutch Passion - Thing Differently Auto
Tent - Gorilla Grow Shorty 2x2.5 (can go up to 6 ft with extension).
Light - HLG 135 - Plan is to keep this 24-30 inch from the plan at a 20/4 hr cycle.
DWC Bucket - Powergrow DWC system.
Inline fan/filter/duct - AC Inifinity 6inch fan with temparature -
PH Meter - Apera PC60 5n1 combo (PH/PPM/Temp).
Thermometer/Hygrometer - Govee and AC infinity above
Clipon Fan - Generic through Amazon with Vornado fan at bottom
Nutrients - Jack 321 - thoughts?
Timer - WeMo outlet which will have all my lighting through this

Questions.
1.) Is this Apera PH/PPM combo worth it ($135). Is it better to just get a Apera PH meter and separate PPM? Wanted to get something that ideally monitors PH/PPM automatically like blue labs
2.) I heard that a good air pump is key and was going to get a Vivosun 332 GPH - 4 outlet air pump with a couple more air stones. Thoughts on if this is overkill? Can I essentially use both waterpumps (Vivosun and the one included in the powergrow for max bubbles/efficiency?)
3.) I know ultimately changing water is going to be key in these 5 gallon buckets. Is there a water pump/automation way or would it be just easier/effective to buy an extra bucket and just switch it weekly/etc.
4.) Anyone have any experience with assembling HLG lights? Is it self explanatory? Would it be better to install this light so the power supply is outside of my tent (for temperature control) or not worth it?
5.) I was going to get the 6" lids given I am doing 1-2plants at most and want to limit light. Thoughts on whether I should go with 10inch to give room for the roots?

Would love everyones thoughts.
Thanks

Well I’ve never grown DWC, or used Jacks 321, but I can tell you the HLG 135s are nice lights! I’ve got 2 of them in a 2x4 tent, with the drivers mounted on to the heatsinks for a little extra heat in the tent. Very straight forward to assemble, and the dimming feature is nice to have (both mine are dimmed to 110w). Which board did you get from them?

Thanks.. Great to know...
I got the HLG 135s straight off their site (V2 RSPEC). How tall are you hanging your lights on your 2x4? I will hopefully have a setup like yours after I get a couple grows in.

I've been hanging my HLG 135 v2 Rspec about 11-13" above my top colas and they show a tiny tiny bit of stress, but are way way thicker and fatter than last grow where I ran them 15-18" above the canopy. Definitely going to be strain dependent, but try to be in the 15-18" range once you get into flower and the stretch stops.

Back