Harvest & Curing Hay or grass smell after dry?

I was having this problem until I finally got it right
Chop weed wet,, & Debud the branches.
Put buds Into the drying rack for a day or 2 until stems on the medium size nugs make a snap noise.
Brown bag for a day and then into the Grove bag.
Make sure to leave 25% air in the bag.

Works now every time and my curing problem is now cured lol

As long as the weeds humidity ain't below 58% it works
If around 65ish % and it goes into the grove bag,
It brings it down to 61-62% in no time.
Hope this is right lol but it works a treat for me,
Maybe @Grove Bags
can explain the best way for the use of the grove bag incase I'm wrong

Last edited:
I just took a big whiff and it’s a little better but still has a distinct grass smell. If it doesn’t go away in a few more weeks I will probably make green dragon out of it. Whole plant only yielded 30 grams. I haven’t tried any of it out yet so not sure how it tastes.

My other 2 plants, I am drying in paper bag method and they do not have this smell. I will paper bag dry everything now.
I dry everything in paper bags and I never get the hay smell so its a good move in my eyes

I dried for 7 days. Put in jars and was getting a reading of 56%. I moved it to grove bags and added a boveda pack now sit at 62%.

Will the grass smell go away or should I make edibles or wax from it?

my dry temp/humidity was 75.6F and 45-51% humidity for 7 days and they were crispy to the touch.
i think 55-58% is idealy dry ones

My understanding of Grove Bags has been that no boveda is necessary in them and actually best to not use them in Grove bags. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I had bud from last year that retained a grassy alfalfa smell in the jar, but when you smoke it, it tastes as it should with no alfalfa. Just what's in the jar smells that way.

I think that would be the case if the humidity levels are within the grove bag range. If not I think the boveda pack would benefit getting you to the correct levels. I could be wrong though.

I think that would be the case if the humidity levels are within the grove bag range. If not I think the boveda pack would benefit getting you to the correct levels. I could be wrong though.
Yeah this will work, the buds will reabsorb some of the humidity. Although it burns though the pack faster than if it was in a jar and doesn't work as well either. I have done it successfully though.

So if you put 65% or 66% in the bag it will lower it to 61-62%? Without opening the back or anything?
Yes the bags are designed to shed off moisture above 62% to keep it at the correct rh and prevent mold. I usually check on my buds a day or two after and shake the bag up but I do the same without issues. Just wanna make sure moisture doesn't build up inside the bag. Letting them sweat in brown bags a day before putting them in them in the grove bags is what they recommend.

I dried for 7 days. Put in jars and was getting a reading of 56%. I moved it to grove bags and added a boveda pack now sit at 62%.

Will the grass smell go away or should I make edibles or wax from it?

my dry temp/humidity was 75.6F and 45-51% humidity for 7 days and they were crispy to the touch.
It seems it has worked out for you, but I think your drying environment was a little off. I know sometimes there are variables we didn't, or can't account for. I think 75.6°f is way to warm to dry your bud. I would try for around 60°f if possible, hopefully you're drying inside where you have AC. As for your RH ideally you want to shoot for 50% - 60%. At those settings i would look to dry for 7-10 days, but i would check them 2x a day after day 4. Also a fan to move the air, but not directly on you bud. If you're able to have AC you should be in the correct RH zone. I have a small humidifier, and dehumidifier that allow me to adjust the RH by 5% - 10% either way. I hit these measurables normally, but end up waiting to long myself a lot of the time. You can't leave it, once it's ready you need to get it. That's my problem it will be ready, but I will have other shit that needs done or I'll fall asleep. MOG has a device that measures how dry the stem is. I can't remember what it's called, but I need to get 1 lol. I did notice an improvement when I put my old dry bud into Grove bags. Goodluck bud I too know the frustration of over drying.

Stay lifted

Back