Hps or led

Reaction score
Hey, I've been growing two years now, always challenging myself to different things. When I first started growing I was using HPS 600w in a 1m2 tent using fastbuds genetics. I was always getting big yields usually 400-500g of lovely bud. In the past year I switched to led, Zeus pro 600w in a 4x4. I do get nice colas the bud is exceptional and rock solid no matter what the strain, but I never get the yields I was getting with the hps. I thought led produces 1-1.5 g per watt. At the moment my yields are usually around 300-400. It's a huge difference. Anyone else experience this? I was thinking of taking out the led in the last 3 weeks and putting in the hps. What y'all think

Hey, I've been growing two years now, always challenging myself to different things. When I first started growing I was using HPS 600w in a 1m2 tent using fastbuds genetics. I was always getting big yields usually 400-500g of lovely bud. In the past year I switched to led, Zeus pro 600w in a 4x4. I do get nice colas the bud is exceptional and rock solid no matter what the strain, but I never get the yields I was getting with the hps. I thought led produces 1-1.5 g per watt. At the moment my yields are usually around 300-400. It's a huge difference. Anyone else experience this? I was thinking of taking out the led in the last 3 weeks and putting in the hps. What y'all think

The best results I've ever seen have been a mixture of LED, Plasma and HPS ... but i do think that you can get the same results or better with LED over HPS.

There's lots of factors with dialing in a new light, if your the sciencey type, you'll want to look into DLI, VPD, LUX and find the sweet spot for you light (alongside the normal parameters of temp and humidity)

There's a really good thread from one of the admins who's testing out a new powerful chinese LED

He gives some good talk about the sciency stuff along with wildbill who also seems to know his light science.

Check it out!
I would find putting up a HPS in place of my LED for 3 weeks a royal pain in the arse, and not necessary for me!

Happy growing
Blue ^_^
:d5:

HPS lights will probably have a PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation) value double that of LED. Direct sunlight has a PAR value of 900-1500. HPS can probably deliver close to those values depending on the age of the bulb. A very good LED may deliver up to 900 PAR. An average one may be 300-500.
The plant has more energy available under sunlight and so will put on more weight.
You may not see much improvement in 3 weeks growth using HPS.
You could do an experiment on the next grow. Try and have same strain in two pots. Make sure each gets the same nutrients and amount of water. Put a piece of plywood in the middle of the tent and have LED on one side and HPS on the other (if you have the room). Then weigh each plant after they dry.

LED vs HPS 2021 | 600W HPS to LED comparison - YouTube is worth a watch.

You should be doing far better gpw with the led. The fact that your not makes me wonder about environment. Are you growing in cooler temps ?
My environment is pretty much spot on. Lights on I'm 22oC on a cold day, 28 on a hot day. Humidity is grand although in flower I'm in around the 50% mark. I have hit big yields a couple of times but with naturally big genetics like orange sherbet from fastbuds. The only other thing I can think of is that the lights aren't 100% power from the beginning, with HPS ya don't have the dimmable option you do with LED.

I’ve been told that leds work better at slightly warmer temps than hps. Also that the height of the light above canopy is important with leds. Something about being far enough away for the light to bounce around at different angles.

idk for sure but the people who were talking about it definitely know their stuff.

Back