"Hydroponically grown Cannabis is less flavorful compared to soil grown."

I have had quite a few strains from dispensaries, none hold a candle to my grows in flavor or feel. I grow in peat with salt nutes… took a sorbet dream down yesterday and the aroma/ nose was so loud it made my eyes water and nose run. I open a jar that’s cured for two weeks and the aroma tones down a bit but still there. With dispensary weed, it lacks flavor and aroma. Back to the topic though, I don’t notice a big difference between organic and salt based in flavor or smell. The density of the buds though are usually different.

While experts come by, I'll say I believe it's just too difficult to provide everything a healthy living soil can, but with a lot of effort or with godd nutrient lines you can get very close. Also, it seems some strains somehow taste better in hydro than in soil and viceversa.
I have a theory that some strains were selected in synthetics or non soil atleast so they might taste better than other strains when grown hydro etc. Like ogs taste good and are still terpy when not organic but other strains like sativa's not as much it's like one dimensional barely there flavor.

I think most would say organic grown will taste better than salt based. Therefore the question would be can you grow "perfectly", hydro organically? Another Bro science way would be to look to cup winners and how they were grown. IDK that there is an actual scientific taste test.

I have a long background in the food, beverage and ingredients world. I think this is a common misconception with a lot of things organic. Whether it be dairy, produce, wine, coffee, tea, chocolate etc., it's usually far more difficult to get top quality organic that tastes as good as good quality conventional. I would imagine weed is similar, but since it's often being smoked it's not a great comparison. But something to consider for all things organic. Organic doesn't mean better, it means that it was grown complying with regulations (hopefully) that generally make having vigorous plants more difficult.

Interesting thread ya'll, especially since I just switched to hydro.

Show me the science on how these hormones, amino acids, and other biostimulants enter the plant. My understanding is far from complete but I see no mechanism that will allow these large compounds to enter the plant.

Plus, plants synthesize their own amino acids from inorganic nitrogen.

I have a long background in the food, beverage and ingredients world. I think this is a common misconception with a lot of things organic. Whether it be dairy, produce, wine, coffee, tea, chocolate etc., it's usually far more difficult to get top quality organic that tastes as good as good quality conventional. I would imagine weed is similar, but since it's often being smoked it's not a great comparison. But something to consider for all things organic. Organic doesn't mean better, it means that it was grown complying with regulations (hopefully) that generally make having vigorous plants more difficult.

Interesting thread ya'll, especially since I just switched to hydro.

Well yeah top quality organics is more in demand. Most people are going to use pesticides and salts. You can grow with a certain amount of salts and still be USDA organic. So the organic certification is bullshit they have organic pesticides like copper which bioaccumulates where the synthetic pesticide has a half life and goes away after a year. So in lots of cases you aren't getting full organics. It also Has to do with freshness and ripeness. A not organic fruit that's picked the day it's most ripe and you eat it then it's gonna be better than organic grown stuff picked early and shipped. They have this brix meter it can tell how ripe fruit is they use it for wine. But you can use it to see quality. Plus alot of Farmers use organic methods. Then they don't pay the money to get certified. So your best bet is to know someone or grow yourself to really know. My two cents

I have had quite a few strains from dispensaries, none hold a candle to my grows in flavor or feel. I grow in peat with salt nutes… took a sorbet dream down yesterday and the aroma/ nose was so loud it made my eyes water and nose run. I open a jar that’s cured for two weeks and the aroma tones down a bit but still there. With dispensary weed, it lacks flavor and aroma. Back to the topic though, I don’t notice a big difference between organic and salt based in flavor or smell. The density of the buds though are usually different.
I feel like they don't add the sugars and resin producers. They also probably don't care about dry and cure is how fast can we get it down and sell it.

Well yeah top quality organics is more in demand. Most people are going to use pesticides and salts. You can grow with a certain amount of salts and still be USDA organic. So the organic certification is bullshit they have organic pesticides like copper which bioaccumulates where the synthetic pesticide has a half life and goes away after a year. So in lots of cases you aren't getting full organics. It also Has to do with freshness and ripeness. A not organic fruit that's picked the day it's most ripe and you eat it then it's gonna be better than organic grown stuff picked early and shipped. They have this brix meter it can tell how ripe fruit is they use it for wine. But you can use it to see quality. Plus alot of Farmers use organic methods. Then they don't pay the money to get certified. So your best bet is to know someone or grow yourself to really know. My two cents

Top quality organic is a fraction of the market, there is demand, but it's not what most people want. Well, at least most people aren't willing to pay for it. Organic certification is anything but bullshit, but it is imperfect and has its fair share of greed, politics, egos and bureaucracy.

Dispensaries are like the Mcdonald's of weed, they get the job done, but the entire experience leaves something to be desired.
And similar to McDonald's, my home made burgers are a lot tastier. :biggrin:

What's the difference between organic nutrients and " synthetic" ? Absolutely nothing! They are both the exact same ionic salt of the element or mineral compound derived from the same base components. Even under a microscope they look the same and lab tests will tell you that also. The whole " nasty chemicals" in manufactured nutrients is total BS. Now when it cmes to many of the "bloom boosters" etc, then it's a different story, but with a standard nutrient package like Megacrop, there is nothing in it that is any different than what is provided to your plants by microbes etc.
So the bottom line is there isn't going to be a taste or smell difference between plants grown in the same environment. I've had a bet running on this for years, I've never lost...........

Back