Is there a Ruderalis taste? And if there is, do you think it still exists in todays best auto genetics?

Is there a distinct taste in autoflowering plants, due to the ruderalis genetics within it?

• There is a distinct ruderalis taste

• There is no impact on flavour

• Never noticed or heard of this

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aussie Autos

Autoflower Ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I’ve heard this argument, mostly from old head photo growers, that Autoflowners will always have a distinct taste. I’ve also heard this taste is heavily tied to the auto flowering genetic trait, and will always exist. I’ve also heard on various podcasts that its simply not true.

I’m sure heirloom and native ruderalis species would have very distinct flavours. However I don’t feel like its a real discussion in todays modern autoflower gene pool. What is everyone’s experiences and understanding of this? Im extremely new to autoflowers and growing, I can’t say this is anything I’ve ever noticed before though.

This is an interesting question. I'd guess it would change depending on where in the world it's from. I don't see a trend in taste with modern autos at all. Even to the point where it's kinda rare to get 2 of the same tasting plants in the same seed pack. Maybe @Mossy can shed a little light on the originals?

This is an interesting question. I'd guess it would change depending on where in the world it's from. I don't see a trend in taste with modern autos at all. Even to the point where it's kinda rare to get 2 of the same tasting plants in the same seed pack. Maybe @Mossy can shed a little light on the originals?
My thoughts exactly. And tbh the people that are often saying it, are often surprised by the quality of modern autos

Last edited:
I’ve heard this argument, mostly from old head photo growers, that Autoflowners will always have a distinct taste. I’ve also heard this taste is heavily tied to the auto flowering genetic trait, and will always exist. I’ve also heard on various podcasts that its simply not true.

Pffft....Purely Unscientific I'd say LR#1 probably Did for me............ LR#2 didn't.

One person said it was an earthy spicy flavour. I haven't heard much about the specifics though tbh.

And that is about It...... :headbang: ...

On my first grow I had mixed Auto and photos...I obviously Tried the Auto first and it was Superb.....but everyone said Auto's were weak compared to photos...troll..troll...troll....

so I Thought Wow.....if the Auto kicks like that...the Photos are going to Kill me....:biggrin:....
but they were a complete let down...none of them Hit the Spot like the Auto.

After that I Chased the Smell/Taste....the Nose Knows was my catchphrase...

it Was Distinct for me....But...I'm a Med user....so I don't Know if the Taste was Distinct to Me...coz it was the Formula I needed for Best meds....and my brain was latching on to that.

Because of the way I crossed...using I Line and adding to it..rather than lots of Individual crosses...yes...it does keep showing up...:headbang:

Even though they must be 30 plus generations away from Original.

Because of the way I crossed...using I Line and adding to it..rather than lots of Individual crosses...yes...it does keep showing up...:headbang:

Even though they must be 30 plus generations away from Original.

Yeah true! That makes sense, thank you for the insight. Im pretty familiar with your work. Do you think we need more people willing to put in the hard yards to create more auto breeding tools, so theres a wider variety of terpenes and flavours?

Not sure if its coincidence, but I feel like I see the Skywlaker OG from Mephisto being used a lot in breeding. Could this idea of a ruderalis taste likely be due to the same autoflwoer genetics being used over and over again in new crosses?

Again..remember my Limitations.... :pass: ...Personally speaking.....

Not sure if its coincidence, but I feel like I see the Skywlaker OG from Mephisto being used a lot in breeding. Could this idea of a ruderalis taste likely be due to the same autoflwoer genetics being used over and over again in new crosses?

After what 15 Years of Auto Breeding...?............not a Chance that Any Current Cross could influence the gene pool to that extent.......:pass:

Most Auto Breeders have deliberately bred Away from Rudi genetics.

The Original Auto was a 12-14 inch 8 week Finishing cross...you dont See anything resembling that on the market today.

Do you think we need more people willing to put in the hard yards to create more auto breeding tools, so theres a wider variety of terpenes and flavours?

From the Mass flavours and terps Ive had from a Limited gene pool.....I Think everything we could Possibly want is already in There...

Im Not saying there is Nothing New to Discover....:pass:....Im saying there are so Many options there already that haven't been Fully Explored.

Im saying there are so Many options there already that haven't been Fully Explored.

Quantifying....10 years ago..the only real Talk was about how much THC crosses held.....that...basicaly was IT....THC%...

Then someone Discovered...cough.. CBD...who Knew....?.....

now there is a full CBD Industry....and CBD is Only 1 of the alternate compounds in cannabis.....

Who is to say that the Next Discovery....cough..cough...that was Already there but we have been taking any notice of...is not even Better......?....:pass:....

Last edited:
Back