And part of my beef with the "EV's are bad!" crowd. Once EV batteries aren't holding enough of a charge to be useful in a car, you recycle them and use them other places, like for on-grid storage for renewable energy, like low wind or cloudy days.
Exactly, there are folks out there building powerwalls with these cells. Check this out!
IMG_1080.png

Exactly, there are folks out there building powerwalls with these cells. Check this out!
View attachment 1676440

My personal "power wall"

1712759063170.png

Its not lithium, lol. But I hooked an old UPS up to two car batteries. It will run my PC and my server for about 5 hours if the power goes out.

My personal "power wall"

View attachment 1676441

Its not lithium, lol. But I hooked an old UPS up to two car batteries. It will run my PC and my server for about 5 hours if the power goes out.
Cool, one of the projects I have lined up is to replace the AGM (Lead-Acid) batteries in my UPS. I'm currently running a 3,300va and two 1500va units for my network and security systems. My whole house is automated and we have over a dozen Echo and Google devices all the switches, the load center and half the breakers, etc. There are ove 90 devices connected to it. It really can't go down. Swapping batteries will add many hours of run time.
I get these cases from China, they hold 21 cells in a 3s 7p configuration. Should increase the capacity by well over half.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 103408a.png

Cool, one of the projects I have lined up is to replace the AGM (Lead-Acid) batteries in my UPS. I'm currently running a 3,300va and two 1500va units for my network and security systems. My whole house is automated and we have over a dozen Echo and Google devices all the switches, the load center and half the breakers, etc. There are ove 90 devices connected to it. It really can't go down. Swapping batteries will add many hours of run time.
I get these cases from China, they hold 21 cells in a 3s 7p configuration. Should increase the capacity by well over half.
View attachment 1676451

No issues with the charger in the UPS? I was worried switching battery types would cause issues. Or do you disable it and use an external charger? And yeah, about 18 months ago I bought the used UPS on ebay with dead batteries and then got the 2 lead acid from rural king was because every time my power blipped I'd have to get on my server and bring everything back online. Haven't had to do that in a long time, now.

No issues with the charger in the UPS? I was worried switching battery types would cause issues. Or do you disable it and use an external charger? And yeah, about 18 months ago I bought the used UPS on ebay with dead batteries and then got the 2 lead acid from rural king was because every time my power blipped I'd have to get on my server and bring everything back online. Haven't had to do that in a long time, now.
I'm not speaking with any authority on this topic, but from what I have read the battery should take care of itself. Li-ion batteries are dangerous as F! Too much or too little charge on them can be disastrous. These suckers can really explode!!
As such they all have circuitry of some type. Some cells have a "fuse" in them that if too much current passes it shuts the cell off, most if not all multiple cell batteries use a BMS or battery manager that monitors the charge and discharge voltages and currents. I just need to be sure what I build has a good BMS. You can see a circuit board in the picture of the battery case I posted, that's the BMS. With that I will be able to use these in place of the lead acid batteries in the UPSs now.

Hey Now,
Any iPad users out there?? I am completely addicted to my iPad Pro. So much so I am saving to buy one when I retire because this one belongs to my office. I mean I take this thing everywhere.
I hate videos, especially instructive ones. My ADHD makes it impossible almost. At any rate here is one that is worth the trouble.
Some really cool tricks and tips for iPad:

Back