Longterm Storage of Transgender Pollen

Buz

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I have on occasion made "transgender" pollen using Silver Thiosulfate. I usually use the pollen in the same season because of published notes that claim that pollen is viable "for up to 6 months." This year I had some Royal Cheese female Autos I wanted to pollinate but did not have any pollen ready. In the freezer I did have some Northern Lights transgender pollen from 2020. I went ahead and used this pollen and had great results (see picture). Since it worked so well I thought I would share how I prepared the pollen for storage. First the pollen was sieved to remove all foreign matter. I then mixed the pollen 1:1 with diatomaceous earth that had been dried in a 250* oven. I heat sealed one end of a 2" section of a plastic drinking straw. Then I filled the section of straw about 1/3 full with the pollen mix. I added another 1/3 of the section with silica pellets. Finally before sealing I added "Bloxygen" Argon inert gas used to preserve paint products and food as well. After heat sealing the remaining end the tube was stored in a home chest freezer in a pint ball jar with more silica pellets and argon. DRY, NO OXYGEN, FROZEN. 20230809_182137.jpg20230809_183356.jpg
Worked for me! I have also used Bloxygen to preserve weed for years....my favorite Vintage Stock!

Back