Lost my green thumb

Reaction score
Problem: Constant stunted seedlings

Medium/grow method: Straight coco in solo cups

Feed: and supplements used: Megacrop 1 part at roughly 300ppm 6.2 ph

water source: Tap 240ish ppm, been using for over 10 years to grow with.

Strain/age: Multiple fastbuds, seedling

light used: home made led strip build, ran at half power 75w

Climate: 24-28'c 40-60rh

Additional info:

Hi lads, as the title says I've lost my green thumb. I cant seem to get seedlings of to a good start any more, it had annoyed me so much i stop growing for a few months, i was running a 3 week perpetual schedule. The last 9 seeds I've started have been very stunted in the early seedling stage so end up not producing much.
I grow in straight coco in solo cups, and 5 or 6 good harvests with this method then all of a slap i cant get seedlings to grow. No matter what ive done, more/less feed, more/less frequent watering, more/less water when watering, light futher away or closer, or more/less power.

I started 6 seeds(fastbuds forbidden runts and gorilla cookies) 18days ago, all 6 were sprouted in 2 days, and since then not much has happened. Yesterday i switched from megacrop back to general hydroponics using lucas formula at half strength.

Any wise heads here ever lost their green thumb and know a way to get it back?

IMG_20210811_173453.jpg

Ignore the crispy leaves, i had left the light on full power for a day and they cooked, this hadn't happen in other grows and they were still as stunted.

Additional info:

Hi lads, as the title says I've lost my green thumb. I cant seem to get seedlings of to a good start any more, it had annoyed me so much i stop growing for a few months, i was running a 3 week perpetual schedule. The last 9 seeds I've started have been very stunted in the early seedling stage so end up not producing much.
I grow in straight coco in solo cups, and 5 or 6 good harvests with this method then all of a slap i cant get seedlings to grow. No matter what ive done, more/less feed, more/less frequent watering, more/less water when watering, light futher away or closer, or more/less power.

I started 6 seeds(fastbuds forbidden runts and gorilla cookies) 18days ago, all 6 were sprouted in 2 days, and since then not much has happened. Yesterday i switched from megacrop back to general hydroponics using lucas formula at half strength.

View attachment 1354278
Ignore the crispy leaves, i had left the light on full power for a day and they cooked, this hadn't happen in other grows and they were still as stunted.
Hello i had this problem in solo cups it was to much water i cut the water down no more stunted seedlings

Additional info:

View attachment 1354278
That looks like metal toxicity to me. Is there copper, bronze or aluminium in your water system anywhere? Can you get some RO water from the grocery store or somewhere. 240 PPM starting water might be high in some metal. You need to get it tested. Your water source may have changed because of the newer weather patterns across the world.

If it is the metal toxicity they can recover from it but I would not waste my time with them.

Would it be possible to look at your water authority web site and see if any changes have been made. Most in the USA will have reports on the quality of the tap water.
Do you live where they may be fracking for oil near by? I've read stories on water supply salinity going up because of all the saltwater they pump back into the ground.

That looks like metal toxicity to me. Is there copper, bronze or aluminium in your water system anywhere? Can you get some RO water from the grocery store or somewhere. 240 PPM starting water might be high in some metal. You need to get it tested. Your water source may have changed because of the newer weather patterns across the world.

If it is the metal toxicity they can recover from it but I would not waste my time with them.
As far as im aware there is not, standard plastic piping. Here in ireland Ro watter is not that popular, I've never seen it shops, u can pay to have a system fitted though. My father in law collects rain water in big totes, tested that last night and it 6ppm but stinks, cant be any worse than my tap water right.

Would it be possible to look at your water authority web site and see if any changes have been made. Most in the USA will have reports on the quality of the tap water.
Do you live where they may be fracking for oil near by? I've read stories on water supply salinity going up because of all the saltwater they pump back into the ground.

Im from ireland no oil or fracking here, and as for looking up the water authority doubt ill find anything but no harm looking.

As far as im aware there is not, standard plastic piping. Here in ireland Ro watter is not that popular, I've never seen it shops, u can pay to have a system fitted though. My father in law collects rain water in big totes, tested that last night and it 6ppm but stinks, cant be any worse than my tap water right.

Im from ireland no oil or fracking here, and as for looking up the water authority doubt ill find anything but no harm looking.
I am not sure I would trust water that stinks. What does your father-in-law use it for? I think I would consider an RO system. A problem with that is with water that hard RO membranes will be short lived.

I do have another thought but this might be redundant. Has your coco been washed real well and then precharged? I am also seeing clay balls are those PH balanced because not all of them are?

I tried to figure out how to get your nutrients better balance but with 240PPM and MC 1part it just won't happen. If you can get your starting water to 120 PPM by cutting it with rain water that should help. Maybe boil it to get rid of what is making it stink?

Here is what you are feeding now in 1 gallon and it is short on N, Mg, S.
2021-08-12_0-10-30.jpg

Here are some other solutions I tried but only when you get the water down to ~120 PPM does all of the major elements fall in line.

2021-08-12_0-12-24.jpg
2021-08-12_0-15-41.jpg
2021-08-12_0-17-37.jpg

I have this RO system:

2021-03-25_11-58-56.png

I am not sure I would trust water that stinks. What does your father-in-law use it for? I think I would consider an RO system. A problem with that is with water that hard RO membranes will be short lived.

I do have another thought but this might be redundant. Has your coco been washed real well and then precharged? I am also seeing clay balls are those PH balanced because not all of them are?

I tried to figure out how to get your nutrients better balance but with 240PPM and MC 1part it just won't happen. If you can get your starting water to 120 PPM by cutting it with rain water that should help. Maybe boil it to get rid of what is making it stink?

Here is what you are feeding now in 1 gallon and it is short on N, Mg, S.
View attachment 1354474

Here are some other solutions I tried but only when you get the water down to ~120 PPM does all of the major elements fall in line.

View attachment 1354473View attachment 1354472View attachment 1354471

I have this RO system:

View attachment 1354475
He uses it for watering the garden, i filled up a 5liter bottle with it and left it out over night, the smell was just about gone in the morning. Cheers for doing the math man, wasnt expecting that, yeah definitely need to get a better water source, may look into it.

For anyonewho cares, changing from my tap water to rain water seems to have done the trick, a big thanks to @Mañ'O'Green

foto_no_exif.jpg

8 days after original photo, my choice now is to leave these grow amd see what i get or start a new batch, i need to harvest in 83days though as im out of the country for a wedding, think ill leave these and accept the loses.

Back