Making regular Autoflower seeds from a male photo period

561Beans

New User
Reaction score
Hi was wondering if anyone can help with their knowledge. After a long pheno hunt of my regular Autoflower male that I made from a photo male that I crossed to a female Autoflower after getting my f1’s I finally found a male that was Autoflower over year of pheno hunting so my question is how can I continue that male Autoflower going to keep making more regular Autoflower seeds?

My questions require a little more knowledge of the parents, but i’ll start with asking to clarify…the male autoflower you found is from the F1 population?

Reason I ask is that to my understanding a regular photoperiod male crossed to an auto fem would result in predominantly heterozygous regular photoperiod plants due to the recessiveness of known autoflower genes. Unless the photoperiod was “fast flowering” in which case it could be heterozygous and carry an autoflower allele, and when crossed to an auto fem could churn out autoflowers in the F1 population.

But yeah @VPDisKey answered it…collect and save the pollen, hunt for female candidates and make babies!

My questions require a little more knowledge of the parents, but i’ll start with asking to clarify…the male autoflower you found is from the F1 population?

Reason I ask is that to my understanding a regular photoperiod male crossed to an auto fem would result in predominantly heterozygous regular photoperiod plants due to the recessiveness of known autoflower genes. Unless the photoperiod was “fast flowering” in which case it could be heterozygous and carry an autoflower allele, and when crossed to an auto fem could churn out autoflowers in the F1 population.

But yeah @VPDisKey answered it…collect and save the pollen, hunt for female candidates and make babies!

No it’s an f5 I kept breeding till I got a male that autoflowered

I prefer male regs auto flowers to make auto seeds. They are hard to find that are of true high grade caliber so made my own as well but I started with a true male auto. Out of the thousands of seeds I've produced they all 100% auto and make some great studs in a garden. Keep crossing it to strong autos with desired traits if it's a real keeper strain and I'm sure u will get there!

Hi @561Beans
Do i understand you right.
You selected the auto male from seed stock that is photoperiod. You found that male in the f5 generation, all other generation were photoperiod (f1,f2,...).
What do you know about the photoperiod strain you use for your breeding?
It could be possible that i earlier stage of the photoperiod strain there was a tendency to autoflower. So there is a chance to find sometimes a auto plant.
It could also be root bound that trigger the plant to flower. What light schedule do you have used to see if it's a true autoflower.

Maybe this could help you to find out what's is up with your autoflower male.

Back