Mephisto Genetics Meet the Team

stan_mephisto

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Cultivators Club
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Meph heads!

We’ve noticed over the last year, given the unprecedented growth we’ve seen on Reddit, that there’s quite a few misconceptions and some rather active imaginations out there concerning the size of our brand.

Also as of late we’ve been doing a whole bunch of restructuring, and adding to the team to make sure we have all the right people in all the right places. So we thought now would be an ideal time to give a refresher on our story and a small Mephistory lesson about who we are, where we came from and what we’re about.

We’re not far away from our 9-year anniversary and starting from an idea and two people we’ve expanded to 12 people full time (with some additional part time helpers) working across 5 countries.

Primarily we’re a team of friends and Meph heads. Trust is paramount in this industry and when you work closely with people in this way, and are reliant on each other it’s like a family.

Mitch Connor – Co Founder/Breeder/Auto Lover

Hey guys!

Without telling a long long tale, I studied design at university many moons ago, whilst at university I met Tim.

My life timing was particularly bad as a couple years after graduating it was the onset of the financial crisis! So whilst it was hard to get into the design industry, simultaneously I was growing and discovered the world of autoflowers.

These were the early days of autos, I soon fell in love with them and became addicted to the art of breeding and seed making.

Tim and I ended up sharing a house, where we were both growing and smoking, I loved the way autos grew, and was easily out producing him, but he wasn’t a fan of the quality, especially in comparison to the high grade flowers he usually could get. So we decided to develop an autoflower that we would both love the taste of and the high.

England at that time, and even today, was not at all progressive in its laws or thinking regarding canna, and as my breeding programs became more elaborate and required more space the only safe way to progress was to look for greener pastures.

We were approaching our late 20’s and it was kind of a now or never gamble to move to Spain to start a new life.

It was never the intention to turn my passion into a career, but it definitely wasn’t my destiny to become a corporate stooge.

In the beginning we did every single job in the company imaginable, but as we grew organically and slowly over the years, as all the tasks became too much to handle we’ve slowly expanded the team with intelligent people we trust and love.

After 6-7 years straight of being online, documenting, growing 365 days a year, and in that time developing 30 plus auto strains from scratch, I admittedly got burnt out and took a hiatus from the grow.

Knowing the amount of work we put in, the risks we’ve taken, the highs and lows, the sometimes monumental levels of stress, I’m immensely proud of ourselves our story and the company we’ve created.

Yes, we’re human, yes we fuck up on occasion but we’re always learning and are always striving to do things to the best of our ability.

Going forward I’ll be getting back on wagon with strain development here in Spain and working on the Merch side of things, as both of those aspects satisfy my creative needs.

Cheers!

……

Tim Burch – Co founder/Grower/Manager

Hi I'm Tim, I’m the co-founder of Mephisto Genetics, which I started together with Mitch back in 2012.

Before Mephisto I was on my way to becoming a nurse in the UK. A noble profession but underpaid and overworked. After 10 years of being in the field of care, Mitch and I decided to take to plunge before we got to old and tied down.

We moved to Spain with a green dream, to make the best auto flowers that the world has ever seen.

In the beginning my jobs were to design and build the grow rooms and grow and maintain those grows. I took what I learned from my care work, but now doing my rounds my patients were plants not people.

I loved the farm and our beloved animals. It holds a special place in my heart. The farmhouse was a real labour of love, always problems but problem solving and MacGyvering solutions was super fun in hindsight.

Over the years we have seen the company grow beyond what we could have ever imagined. With a growing company my job role also evolved, I still grow for love and fun but on a smaller scale focusing on strain-hunting for new creations.

A big part of my time is now spent managing the international teams in the US, Canada and UK.

…….

Brad - Ex-Soil boy/UK Store Management/Head IT guy

A childhood friend of Tim’s, I initially came to the farm in 2014 for a short period to help the boys out with basic farm chores before I went travelling. After coming home in 2017 and not settling down much, Tim offered me a full-time position as his personal man-servant (officially the job title was soil boy). During a company restructure in 2018, I returned to the UK and took on a new role, heading up the UK based operation as the primary distributor. So any of you UK folk, just know that your orders are packed by hand with love and heavy metal.

……..

Stan – Social media manager

Hi I’m Stan.

I live on a small urban farm in Colorado where I grow my own food and raise chickens. My lifelong goal is to buy a large piece of land and start a regenerative agriculture farm to help feed my local community.

I found out about Mephisto sometime in 2017 while searching for an alternative to photos. I was looking for something different when I stumbled upon autoflowers and Mephisto. I was apprehensive at first, because like most people I had been convinced by other growers that autos were inferior to photos. But I took the plunge and bought my first autos when Mephisto released 4 Assed Monkey, Crème De La Chem, and Samsquanch OG. My first taste of Crème De La Chem was all I needed to become a lifelong Meph Head!

A few months later I saw some posts online about distribution problems in the US and I thought, “How hard could it be”. I proceeded to email and message Brad looking for an opportunity to work for Mephisto. The first emails didn’t do much, but I think after 10 or so emails I convinced the team to give me a shot. The rest is history!

I couldn’t be more wrong when I said, “How hard could it be”. I had thought my experience in industrial manufacturing and large-scale agriculture had prepared me for a job in the seed business. But there was still so much to learn. My time as the US distributor was a long hard battle, and now I am changing gears and will be taking on a new role as Social Media Manager. I am excited to still be with Mephisto in a new role, and I am looking forward to my future endeavours with Mephisto!

……

Dave - Canadian Distribution Manager

Hi everyone!

I’m Dave, I’m based in Canada and I deal with the distribution and customer care for the Canadian Market.

I’ve had plenty of jobs in the past, sales, customer support, project management and many others.

Helping friends with their grows and seeing how much joy a plant could bring to their life made me want to get involved with the industry. What really drew me in was the healing properties and how a plant could change an individual’s life for the better in many ways. I love the phrase “Grow your own medicine” as it’s dear to my heart.

After a few emails with Mitch, I was presented with an amazing opportunity to work with the team. Words can’t describe how ecstatic I was. Mephisto Genetics, provides more than great strains, we truly care about our customers, the progression of the cannabis industry and are always looking for ways to improve. What makes Mephisto Genetics so great are 4 main ingredients, love, hard work, passion, and dedication.

Mephisto Genetics I can’t thank you enough for allowing me to be a part of the team.

………

Adam - US Distribution Manager

Hi I'm Adam. I have been a part of the cannabis industry just shy of a decade now and have extensive experience running a perpetual flower garden and a local cannabis clone-business. Because of my range of experiences I have a well-rounded understanding of the ins and outs of the seed business and an appreciation for the fine intricacies of the ever-evolving cannabis industry.

Working with Mephisto came naturally because of the many years I have done business with them already. Upon hearing about the opportunity I was happy to come aboard to help bolster and expand the Mephisto brand, and of course also to enrich the lives of all those who are involved in this great company.

I have compiled a team of sharp-minded, detail-oriented, cannabis-appreciating, high-vibration folks to help with the packaging and shipping of everyone’s favourite, most popular auto-flower seed brand in the world- Mephisto Genetics.

We are confident our team can and will give Mephisto customers the best seed-ordering experience.

…….

Ned - Customer care and HR

I have worked in Amsterdam, London, Boston MA and have settled in Barcelona more then 10 years ago. More or less seven years ago I met Mitch and Tim at an event in Barcelona. Over the common interest in plants we became good friends.

Until 2018 I worked in a corporate job in Barcelona, which I had to quit due to medical reasons. Tim and Mitch offered me a side job to help them get some stuff organized and basically now I’m the Jack of all trades and I’m working on the customer service, administrative work and help with the b2b. I’m grateful that my friends gave me such a great opportunity, which changed my life for the better.

………

Pam - B2B US distribution

My background is in the mortgage business. When I started my first job I didn’t really even know what a mortgage was as I had just graduated from high school. I did this for 25 years, the last 11 of which I was the President/Ops Manager. There came a time when the company was being sold and I took this opportunity to retire early so I could be at home with my two kids who were just getting into middle school.

In addition to enjoying time with my 3 grandkids, for the past 5 years I’ve been working part-time for both my daughter and son. They are self-employed and they each welcomed the help.

I heard about Mephisto from my son, Adam, who had been doing business with them. He always had good things to say about their business practices and he considered them a ‘good find.’ Adam told me they were looking for additional help distributing their product here in the States….so I said “why not”....and here I am as the new Manager of the b2b warehouse. I’m happy to be on board with them!

………..

Grace – Head of Mephisto Merch

I met Mitch when I first moved to Spain in 2015.

At the time I was working in a Spanish fashion multinational company and various freelance projects. Even though I’ve knew about Mephisto since becoming friends with Mitch, It wasn’t until last year that I jumped on board to help with the newsletter and social media. However, since fashion is my real area of expertise, I’m going to be handling Mephisto Merch from now on. I’m not only psyched about working with dear friends, but helping create a brand with fun clothing and cool accessories that can bring our Meph Heads the same enjoyment they get from our seeds.

…….

Terry - Project Developer

Where to start? I think my last personal statement I wrote was to Mitch and Tim nearly 6 years ago.

I’ve been growing, living and breathing cannabis a majority of my life. I started growing with some bag seed in the late 80’s, gorilla growing in fence rows around our family farm in Indiana.

I not having a clue as to what I was doing and I ended up with a lot of seedy pot that first year. It wasn’t the greatest quality but it worked for my friends and I. That strain is still popping up every year in those fence rows from my first seedy crop. I think it may be considered a land race strain now. That was the beginning of my journey to make better strains for myself and close friends.

At some point, maybe 15 years ago I acquired some lowryder auto beans and grew those out. The quality was poor and I just forgot about them to be honest. I ended up getting some more autos as a freebie from an order out of Europe in 2013-14.

They were quite a bit better than the lowryder so I started breeding and making fems of those crosses. Researching for something new to work with I found AFN and joined the forum.

On my first post there in the new members section Mitch invited me to try his work. I found his section of the forum and read through some journals there, by the end of the night I had an order in for some Mephisto. Then came the 2nd Illuminauto drop and Double Grape.

After I grew several of those out and was blown away with the quality, I had to have more, but they were sold out, imagine that eh. Luckily I made the wise decision to make a few f2 fems of my own. I started those and began writing a letter to Mitch and Tim in early 16’ about making some for them as everyone was talking about the strong frosty nugs and wanting more Double Grape on the forums. Mitch eventually agreed to take what I made after testing them, I sure would have coming from a stranger across the pond. All was well and everyone was happy to find out F3 Double Grapes were getting released. I’ve made a ton since and just about every other strain Mephisto has bred to autoflower form.

It’s been a lot of work but it’s been a pleasure and something I enjoy doing.

Peace

Terry

………

Nico - Feminised Production Expert

Hello all, I'm Nico. I'm a west coast based grower and breeder who has been in the cannabis industry for the past 15 years.

I have a graduate degree in horticulture from a leading American agricultural university, spent 5 years working as a scientist for a renowned fertilizer manufacturer, and have worked for and with some of the biggest cannabis companies in North America.

I have been playing around with feminised seeds for years and have a good knowledge of the do's and don't of seed production.

When the opportunity came to work with Mephisto I jumped at the chance. In 2018 I started reproducing the catalogue and making f1 crosses of the strains in feminised form.

I will continue to make the best selections to make these legendary auto flowers more stable and give you the customer the best growing experience.

……..

Caleb - In house photographer / new Tech support

I've been a Linux administrator for the past 12 years and currently work as an engineer at a web hosting company. I enjoy all things tech and love to nerd out, even more so when it comes to canna.

I began growing last November once Arizona put Prop 207 in place to legalize recreational cultivation. My first grow was two ILGM seeds and a 50 Shades of Grape by Mephisto. I was absolutely blown away by the higher quality and bud density of the Mephisto strain and have been running their seeds ever since!

Photography was always a huge passion of mine and being able to combine it with growing, has been life changing. This is what I want to do with my life :) I am extremely honored and excited to be part of the Mephisto team.

I can't wait to get started on growing the Mephisto catalogue and documenting every step with great photos, grow diary's and more.

…….

Thanks to Stan and all the team, you’ve got a great product that has helped keep me somewhat sane in this crazy world.:smoking:

Nice to know the team and their stories.

The MBAP x 3BOG is a hell of a standout! The GAS! Been having it for months and having it right now. Great freebies, thanks guys.

Very nice introduction I've only just found out about mephisto and got my first order in today of pink livers so pleasure to read about the background of your seeds very nice personal touch :worship: looking forward to receiving my seeds and getting started

Nice introduction to the crew Stan. You guys do an exceptional job with the transparency and thoroughness of your communication, both about the background and genetics of your strains, and how your company does what it does. I know that excessive demand has been a serious challenge to you, and wish you the very best of good fortune in bringing more of your exceptional seeds to market. One of these days when the scrum thins out some, I will be back for more of those choice genetics.

Cheers to the whole team from Olderfart. :worship:

Back