Mephisto Genetics Mephisto Germ-tech, a quick guide!

All the hype about Mephisto had me drooling about acquiring some of their reportedly superior genetics. I saved my $ and gleaned all I could on various strains...made a buy.
At this point, it appears i wasted my money.
I've been growing 13 years and tried all the various germing methods but the most reliable has been placing a seed about 3/8 " into biobizz lite mix that been moistened...covering to create a moisture dome, placing on a heated mat and waiting. Never had a problem until now. I just grew out auto seeds from various suppliers and popped 5 for my next grow....but I've had NO germs of any mephisto seeds so far. Having been successful with my methods, even with 5 yr old seeds and assorted suppliers, I still see no reason to change anything but my list of reliable suppliers.

Which strains, and was it a direct purchase from us?

Yes, direct purchase US site...I'm in SouthEast USA. Ghost Toof and Sour Livers...freebies were Fugue State.
Let me add...long term MS and RA has me pretty much home bound with my only hobby...growing my meds. Stone furnished my beans back in 13-14 and those seeds readily pop, even after over 5 years in refrig.

Last edited:
Yes, direct purchase US site...I'm in SouthEast USA. Ghost Toof and Sour Livers...freebies were Fugue State.
Let me add...long term MS and RA has me pretty much home bound with my only hobby...growing my meds. Stone furnished my beans back in 13-14 and those seeds readily pop, even now.
Cancer surgery and 4 heart surgeries have yet to force me to any other med other than my own homegrown weed.

Amen automatically. :smoking:

Wish I could be that independent but diabetes type 1 has my by my bawls but the weed helps everywhere else. :pass:

Hey man, we don’t supply any shops in South Africa directly.
It’s one of the few countries we had to stop shipping to directly as there were persistent problems to get orders there. (For at least year or so that’s been the case)

So, it’s likely they’re being supplied by a UK distributor, but I couldn’t say who? And hence unfortunately I wouldn’t have a clue about the age of the stock they’re holding.

Cheers

Thanks for the response. The supplier was Tiger-one, thinking it must have been old stock. The local seed bank said they are going to see about possible replacement. 0/6 on those seeds but am 3/3 on my Strawberry Nuggets using the same method and conditions.

Hey guys!

Frequently we get asked how best to germinate to get the best results..

Now there's always a dozen ways to skin a cat, but this is the way we've settled on over the years and we always get very good results, so I thought we'd document it.

I like this method as it almost guarantees what you sow will become a plant, my patience isn't always the best and when I've planted direct to soil, I need oven gloves duct taped to my hands because I can never resist poking around in there and getting anxious

So here we are, Step 1:
Ready your seeds! - in this case I'm germinating f2 seeds of artisanal projects

View attachment 578399

Step 2:
Take an empty DVD case.

I use toilet tissue from the roll in the bathroom, 4 squares left connected.
Fold them over to make a doubled up 2 square length.

Place seeds on the tissue - do this on a flat surface. And if putting in multiple batches to germ at one time.. Do them one strain at a time to avoid any mix-ups.

View attachment 578400

Step 3: moistening -
We use a spray bottle with straight tap water. Moist the tissue through, and fold the tissue in half again to make a package.
Press the edges down to eliminate the chances of a seed escaping.
Spray again, you don't need to go crazy on it and have them be completely completely sodden, just nicely evenly moistened.

You'll notice the label, use permanent marker or if you've bought seeds, the packet sticker works well!
Just so long as if you're doing multiple batches they don't get mixed up.

The label also serves as a nice divider to open the tissue packages up again.

View attachment 578401

Step 4:
Close the DVD case up, and wrap in a garment , we use an old t-shirt,
It insulates it as well as keeping the moisture from escaping.

Step 5: this is a crucial part; finding a nice environment for your seeds to sit and germ.
This is tucked between the bar of a tent and the ceiling material.
I used our laser thermometer and the outside of the garment was 27 degrees c/ 80 F.
The tent is on 24/7 currently.

View attachment 578402

Step 6: check and go!
49 hours later, this is the result

View attachment 578403

Usually we look to plant after 60 hours.
It's night now, and I plan to pot these in the morning so I re-moistened them, packed them back up however just left them in the room, and not back in the tent.

It does pay to check after 24-30 hours and re-moisten if necessary, it can also be a good point to turn the case over so if you're germing a lot of seeds they get even warming for the same time period, I just forgot to.

And that's it!

In this instance I put in 65 of each strain to germinate, and we will pot 50 of each.

It was the first germination of these batches of seeds, so I was cautious. And also we like to do our potting in one stint, and also have them coming out of the ground at the same time.

Not that these seeds are for sale but I can update with the ratios tomorrow for anyone interested.

Cheers!
I only got 2 out of 4 to pop with paper towel method between 2 plates in cabinet. Wish I’d seen this thread first

I only got 2 out of 4 to pop with paper towel method between 2 plates in cabinet. Wish I’d seen this thread first

recommend you know what temp your germination is being done at. Temp is the biggest factor to success. use an infrared thermometer or hygrometer and make sure the beans are between 80 and 85F.

Out of 5 Mango Smile seeds, only one germinated.
At the same time I succesfully germinated four other Mephisto strains, and strains from WickedPissahSeeds. All germinated except for the Mango Smile, and one out of the three WickedPissah Hawaiian Skunk did not germinate.
I expect to get some duds from time to time, but I'm upsed about the Mango Smile. I have controlled conditions from A to Z. Everything is within 78-85 degrees. In situations such as this, it is obvious that Mephisto sent me dud seeds.
I've already posted this once, with no reply at all from Stan.
I'll do this one more time.

This is the germ page, just a few posts this year.
The mephisto customer service//feedback thread with an @ for Stan is probably a better place for this. I'd do the link thing but I'm on a mobile.
:pighug:

Back