Moving Up In Tent Size - Can I Use My Current Light (for now)?

ExNavyInSTL

Old Sailor with a new hobby!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My own shit, thanks to places like this!
My first question might seem obvious, but I just want to make sure I am on the right track with understanding grow lights and tent volume.

I currently have a 2 x 4 x 6 MarsHydro Tent. It's lighted with a MarsHydro SP-3000. The specs on this light say 3 x 5 for Veg and 2 x 4 for flower. So, it is a perfect match for the 2 x 4 x 6 tent.

However, I want to upgrade to a 4 x 4 x 6 so that when I add my climate control items ... the tent is less crowded.

(1) I'm guessing as long as I keep the same plant footprint I won't have to add more lighting?

Meaning, in a larger tent I will maintain 2 to 3 fabric pots in a straight line across the 2 x 4 cross-section in the middle of the tent. And, I'll use the extra space to the front and back of my plants for my fans, humidifier, etc.

The tents are pretty cheap, so I like the idea of up-sizing for space. Yet, if this upsizing creates a PAR issue that has to be calculated, creating the need for more lighting for whatever reason I will hold off until I can afford to daisy-chain a second SP-3000.

If my idea is correct, I may even consider a 5 x 5 and just keep my plants together as if in a 2 x 4 and give myself plenty of walk-around room until ready to grow more plants (i.e. add more lighting).

(2) At what point will I need to upgrade to a 6-inch fan?

For climate control, I currently run a strong 4-inch MarsHydro variable speed exhaust fan (with a carbon filter). Additionally, I've added a no-frills 6-inch cool-air intake fan that runs to the grow tent floor ... set to come on when the lights make the tent rise to 80ºF (using a BN-Link controller). To assist the cool-down, I added a 4-inch cheap VivoSun booster exhaust at the top of the tent to work in tandem with the 6-inch. To clarify, the 6-inch is mounted on top, with a semi-flex hose that leads to about 6 inches off the floor. Along with that fan, I have a 4-inch at the very top of the tent to remove the hot air that rises to the top. They are both hooked via a "Y" adapter to come on at the same time. To keep other air moving, I have 2 ea. x 9-inch fans mounted at the roofline across from each other and 4 x tiny USB fans working the floor keeping air moving around.

I'm hoping this setup will keep me from having to upsize my exhaust just because I want more "walkaround" room in a larger tent.

I'm just trying to save some money, while at the same time allowing my girls to move into a larger "apartment."

Thanks,

Squid

The light will work fine but......... it is more likely you will grow wider plants because you have the space :shrug:

When you cannot control the heat or RH in the space is when you need to up-size the exhaust fan. OR if your current fan is working too hard and making too much noise you may change for your comfort. The bigger the fan the less it has to work get the job done. The quieter it will be.

Sadly, you are incorrect about just putting your plants in a 2x4 area. Wall reflections are a large influence, and closer walls mean more light. Your plants will get significantly less light from the same light in a larger space. You would be better off getting another identical light which would allow you to use the entire 4x4. As to the fan, what MOG said. Eventually, you may want to go with a six inch fan, but that can wait at least until your current filter gives up. Hanging on to the 4" fan and filter might help out with setting up a separate drying tent in future if you want to.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Back