New to autoflowers, would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've been browsing the forum for a while now and I am starting my first grow in a very long time. I used to grow photos and lived in the middle of nowhere so I didn't need to worry about smell. Now I'm starting an autoflower grow in an apartment and would appreciate some help.

My plant limit is 12 at the moment but should be 24 in another month. I ordered a 10'x5'x6'8" tent and a 600w LED and am going to start with 9 seeds in 3 gallon pots under the LED on one side of the tent. Eventually I would like to hang another 600w LED on the other side of the tent and I would like to keep it as close to smell proof as possible.

But for now in the middle of the tent I would like to hang a carbon filter and inline fan. This is the part I have never done before. I know I have 333 sqft in the tent so I was wondering if I bought a 402 cfm fan and 400 cfm filter, should that be sufficient to hide the smell outside the apartment?

Here's the details of my setup if you're interested, please let me know if you recommend a different fan or carbon filter.:
VIVOSUN 120"x60"x80" Grow Tent
AC Infinity CLOUDLINE S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan
Phresh HGC701005 Carbon Filter 6" x 16" - 400 CFM
Crecer PanthrX
15 fast buds gelato
18 mephisto sour stomper
7 mephisto creme de la chem

Haven't decided if I will run coco/perlite or soil or what nutrients etc.

Thanks very much for any input!

Last edited:
My grow system is RDWC so i have no input for soil of nutes. I was looking at the same tent but couldn't fit it in my space, nice tent though. The PanthrX is very nice. From what i see, with a 6'8" tent, is that without Potentiometers PPFD at 24" is 1200 so if you take that into consideration you only have roughly 4' left for plant height. IMO and im not an auto flower veteran, the PanthrX would be a great light for photo period when you have only 12 hours to hit your target DLI during flower. Autos can take light 24hrs a day so your PPFD doesn't have to be that high to reach your DLI target. Some research has shown* that high PPFD above 500 does not increase photosynthesis without supplemental CO2. Now im still a noobie grower so my knowledge is nowhere near the veterans here, but that's my input.

* http://fluence.science/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/High-PPFD-Cultivation-Guide-9.27.16.pdf

The calculation is L x W x H (in feet) .. Then devide that number by how many times you want to exchange all of the air. Once every minute? Decide by 1.. Once every two minutes? Divide by 2, and so on. The final number is how many cfms you will need for your space. Most people exchange the air once every 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm running eco charged coco 30% perlite using full canna coco range the boost costs a bit but the plants speak for themselves, tried allsorts of feeds b4 but I'm sticking with canna for now and mephisto plants love it

I was wondering if I bought a 402 cfm fan and 400 cfm filter, should that be sufficient to hide the smell outside the apartment?
Ideally you want the carbon filter to have higher cfm than the inline fan.

all ways get bigger than you need and a duel controller for intake and outake or you will only be upgrading later. if you can get it right fist time you will save so much money in the long run. took me 2 years of changing stuff wish i was on AFN back then could of asked for help.

Ideally you want the carbon filter to have higher cfm than the inline fan.
That's a good point. I was thinking I would be ok since I might not be running the fan on full speed but I should probably be safe and get a larger carbon filter. Think 500cfm would suffice?

all ways get bigger than you need and a duel controller for intake and outake or you will only be upgrading later. if you can get it right fist time you will save so much money in the long run. took me 2 years of changing stuff wish i was on AFN back then could of asked for help.
Thanks but I was just going to have intake and outake fans going 24/7 so I thought I wouldnt need a controller for the fans. Im just going to intake and outake directly to the living room. I wont need the controller if I am running them 24/7 right?

Back