Newbie can’t tell if it is light burn

VirginiaLegal

New User
Reaction score
Hello! I didn’t want to be the stoopid newbie that didn’t research and asked a question and then awesome AFN members roll their eyes! I have read many forums and examined dozens of pictures. And I still can’t tell if this is light burn. Forgive me! I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have also read absolute conflicting info-such as, “if you use LED lights you must add Cal-Mag” to “it is a myth, LED lights do not cause a Cal Mag deficiency.” Please help me.
I have two Durban Poison Autoflowers. They popped out of the soil 15 days ago. The one in question is in Fox Farm Happy Frog soil. I planted the other in Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Look at the newbie doing a scientific experiment! Anyway, the one in Happy Frog started getting yellow tips on the new growth and newer leaves about 5 days ago. The other one was taller and closer to the light and didn’t get that. I raised the light two days ago to 24 inches. It is a Spider Farmer SF1000 at full blast. I leave the lights on 24/7 and have maintained temp between 65 and 80. I have to run a space heater to keep it hot enough but I am scared to leave it on at night so I stay up way too late(obsessively reading about yellow leaves) and then turn it off for a few hours and that is when the tent temp drops to 65. I have humidifiers going and this week am trying to keep it around 65%. I have not given any nutrients, just spring water. I can guarantee that I have not overwatered them. That is the one thing of which I am sure:) I got a PH pen and a cheap TDS tester and did a soil slurry test. The yellow tipped one has a PH of 6.08 and 1110 PPM. I also tested the spring water and found out that it has a PH of 7.82 so I plan to use vinegar to bring it down on the next watering until I can get PH Up and Down. What is wrong with the yellow tipped one? It is getting worse. Also-please give me advice on anything I am doing wrong. The close up pictures were taken today. The picture of the two of them was taken 2 days ago. One more thing, the one in Ocean Forest is a much paler green. Is that because they say Ocean Forest is “hot”? I PHed that soil too and it came in at 6.62 with a TDS of 354 PPM. I gave up when I saw the PPM was so much lower. I thought if it was “hot” that it would have a high PH. See, I am lost.
PS-I watched half of the lighting video by the professor from Utah in case that would answer my question and was lost but I can’t afford a light meter! I know he basically said that inches don’t matter, intensity does. I tell my boyfriend that all of the time;) so forgive me for telling you how many inches my light is above my plants but I have no other option. I really do want to be a good newbie!

Attachments

• 22A76256-EC6C-4E7F-BAE3-774E997F26C4.jpeg
    22A76256-EC6C-4E7F-BAE3-774E997F26C4.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 65162C23-84D1-4CA0-90F8-B1664F34C892.jpeg
    65162C23-84D1-4CA0-90F8-B1664F34C892.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • A61FAF96-6B36-4730-AD56-8B2D3B6DA7A8.jpeg
    A61FAF96-6B36-4730-AD56-8B2D3B6DA7A8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
ok, best bet is to go to the infirmary and fill out the info form....lot more views so much better chance for an answer...don't think it's light burn at all....I run HF in 4 to 5 gal pots and it lasts 3 to 5 weeks before I have to add nutes (bloom cause by then they into flower)....
What water are you using..RO, distilled, tap?.....can make a big difference...RO and distilled being as close to no ppm as you can get so you know all your ppm on the meter is nutrients....still the 1110 ppm seems high to me from what I've read in others grow journals...ok, never mind on the water....just read that far, lol...what is ppm of just the water?...best bet, post in the infirmary..I'm still a newbie myself..

Oh, my goodness! Thanks so much for replying! I am not techy and didn't even know about the infirmary! I will find it now and post. FYI -I just tested PPM of spring water and it is 211. Thanks very much!

Also a lot of us hang out in the live stoner chat section through out the day...plenty of fun.

Back