Prepping for first grow

Huge space!

I would make the whole thing a reflective grow space, no tent. Get the biggest light you can afford, or one of the modular ones you can expand.

I don't see it talked about much, but make sure you have smoke detectors in your attic since you are going to be running powerful lights, and probably extension cords rather than hard wired outlets.

I would setup the space and light, to see how much temperature delta you get before planning the exhaust.

Huge space!

I would make the whole thing a reflective grow space, no tent. Get the biggest light you can afford, or one of the modular ones you can expand.

I don't see it talked about much, but make sure you have smoke detectors in your attic since you are going to be running powerful lights, and probably extension cords rather than hard wired outlets.

I would setup the space and light, to see how much temperature delta you get before planning the exhaust.
Wouldn’t have thought about a smoke detector, thanks for that!
Excellent point! And even more then that a fireball would be better since an attic could go up in a flash

Now that’s cool!

Hey folks! Getting ready to start purchasing some equipment here. I've been stalling and I think if I just start buying that it'll get me more motivated to just do it, versus reflecting on it and overthinking everything. Anyway. I'm hoping for some thoughts and tips for my current planned setup.

Thinking of going with a Vivosun 4x2 tent, since they're on sale through Amazon right now for $89. I've talked with a grower or two who love the Unit Farm LED lights (also through Amazon). They're well reviewed and at $129 for a UFL3000, I believe it would be a great light to learn with.

For soil, I think I've decided to follow the guide given to me from a grower/breeder on Instagram. For this first grow I'm going to try using Roots Organic soil, and will pickup some Nature's Living autoflower concentrate and Real Grower's Recharge for along the way. A question about pot sizing though - I see a lot of growers using 3 gallons or 5 gallons. What's the advantage of using a bigger pot like one of those vs a 1 gallon pot?

For a 4x2 fan with (2) plants growing, would you guys suggest a 4" inline fan or a 6" inline fan? From what I'm reading, a 4" should be just fine, but I always like to get other people's opinions too. No one person knows everything.

SEEDS. I desperately would like some help choosing strains. As I mentioned in the first post, I'd like one strain for continuous daytime use (anxiety + depression) and one strain for nighttime (relaxation + sleep). Being they'll be grown in a 4x2 tent, I'm certainly concerned about size and growth. I've never grown before, so I'm learning as much as I can about LST and topping, but still thinking maybe choosing a smaller strain could be beneficial.

What else am I missing?

Last edited:
Hey folks! Getting ready to start purchasing some equipment here. I've been stalling and I think if I just start buying that it'll get me more motivated to just do it, versus reflecting on it and overthinking everything. Anyway. I'm hoping for some thoughts and tips for my current planned setup.

Thinking of going with a Vivosun 4x2 tent, since they're on sale through Amazon right now for $89. I've talked with a grower or two who love the Unit Farm LED lights (also through Amazon). They're well reviewed and at $129 for a UFL3000, I believe it would be a great light to learn with.

For soil, I think I've decided to follow the guide given to me from a grower/breeder on Instagram. For this first grow I'm going to try using Roots Organic soil, and will pickup some Nature's Living autoflower concentrate and Real Grower's Recharge for along the way. A question about pot sizing though - I see a lot of growers using 3 gallons or 5 gallons. What's the advantage of using a bigger pot like one of those vs a 1 gallon pot?

For a 4x2 fan with (2) plants growing, would you guys suggest a 4" inline fan or a 6" inline fan? From what I'm reading, a 4" should be just fine, but I always like to get other people's opinions too. No one person knows everything.

SEEDS. I desperately would like some help choosing strains. As I mentioned in the first post, I'd like one strain for continuous daytime use (anxiety + depression) and one strain for nighttime (relaxation + sleep). Being they'll be grown in a 4x2 tent, I'm certainly concerned about size and growth. I've never grown before, so I'm learning as much as I can about LST and topping, but still thinking maybe choosing a smaller strain could be beneficial.

What else am I missing?
Re pot size, a 1 gal is gonna dry out way way faster than a 5 gal. Having run cycles of both, I probably won't ever run my plants in them cause they're just a huge pain lol. I've got 15 of them but I'll probably use them for kitchen herbs or something.

If I were thinking about a budget light for a 2x4 from Amazon. I'd consider the original Tmlapy 3000W, or the new N320 model. Both are great lights whose value far exceeds their cost.

A small container may be chosen to fit more plants into a tent for a Sea Of Green. 3 gallon is big enough for a plastic container, but if its a fabric bag, or air pot, go up to at least 5 gallon, because it will dry out too fast.

I always go for a bigger fan run slower for stealth. 4" is enough if you are saving money.

As far as strains, sounds like you want a sativa, and an indica. We all respond differently, and I'd recommend you grow a strain you've already tried and know meets your needs. Be careful about size, the sativa I like won't fit your space. Girl Scout Cookies Auto is hardy, easy to grow, and depending on who's seeds you get can be had with a fair amount of CBD in it too.

If I were thinking about a budget light for a 2x4 from Amazon. I'd consider the original Tmlapy 3000W, or the new N320 model. Both are great lights whose value far exceeds their cost.
Sweet, I'll check those out too. Thanks for the recommendation.

My thought process with the Unit Farm UFL3000 is that 1) it's affordable and 2) it's rectangular to stretch across the 4x2 tent.

If I'm only growing 2 plants, would I be better off getting a smaller but better light, such as the Mars TS1000? I see some growers use (2) of those, so maybe add a second down the road?

Or would the longer UFL3000 do me well for my first ever two plants?

You can probably get 2 small used lights cheaply.

There may be times when you want different brightness or height on the other side of the tent, or even to shut that side when its not occupied, or when seedlings can sit next to the big plants. Over time, energy costs will exceed the price of your lights, so any savings in operating costs is continual.

Back